Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 02 Oct 2019 (Wednesday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Backpack Advice.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 02, 2019 04:57 |  #1

Looking for small backpack that is for travel first and a camera second. I really like the Peak Design Everyday, but it's just too much for me. Manfrotto has a couple bags that come close, but they just don't look all that sturdy and don't get many high reviews.

Things I'm looking for...
Under 18x13in
Side opening camera pouch, not a drawer
Room inside for umbrella, snacks, water bottle, poncho, other small things...
Tough design like canvas.
Outer pockets That are secure.

Only gear I'll be taking is a Fujifilm X-E3 and a couple lenses, wipes, memory cards, and a tiny flash. This is about vacation first and pictures second. I've tried sicking an insert into my current bag and it's a real pain getting it out after a few hours of rummaging in the bag.

sponsored links
sawsedge
844 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 02, 2019 22:03 |  #2

This might come close... https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …0_fastpack_150_​aw_ii.html (external link)

- John

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 03, 2019 06:02 as a reply to  @ sawsedge's post |  #3

Thank you for the response. I've seen that one and it is 75% camera and 25% travel. Kinda need it the other way around. It seems like backpacks are made for school, traveling or photos, not a fusion of them all in the 13x18 (20L) size category. Just need a side pocket that will fit my small camera and a flash (together they are about the total size as a Canon DSLR).

Looks like I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get the Everyday Carry for $260 https://youtu.be/FOp3L​2OTG6g (external link) .

apemusgrave
48 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Oct 03, 2019 07:59 |  #4

There are options out there before you have to go PD, but you might have to give up side access. I would think with such a small camera you wouldn’t necessarily need that.

My light pack is a Deuter lite AC 22, and something similar may fit your needs. If I’m using my canon it gets an insert. If my Olympus, nothing. Mesh pockets fit 1liter water bottle so they could fit your e3, or you could pop it in the top compartment to avoid banging around. It’s probably not the best option because it doesn’t unzip for easier access to the main compartment, but still something to consider. The e3 gives you a lot of flexibility.

Don’t know how well this system works, zero experience, but the Lowepro PHOTO ACTIVE BP 200 AW has side access and a flexible/removable shelf system that may fit your needs as well.

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 03, 2019 12:56 as a reply to  @ apemusgrave's post |  #5

That's exactly what I was looking for. That one lead me to the Thule Enroute Camera Backpack 20L & 25L in the same class. So I'm going to research them and make a choice tomorrow. Thank you so much!

julians89
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2019

Oct 21, 2019 10:47 |  #6

I really don't know what is "small" for you, but I prefer backpack called Booq Cobra (like grey model from here: https://10luggage.com/​best-business-backpacks/ (external link)). For me it's the best choice, cause it can carry all my photo stuff and everything else. And it's pretty comfortable to wear. For me it means a lot. It's the best choice by price / quality ratio.

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,168 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 22, 2019 20:03 |  #7

As you said, the Peak Design Everyday backpack is pricey but I love both of mine. I have the 20L and the 30L. I use the 20L for literally everyday and the 30L for serious photography jaunts.

Some caveats: don't get the black. It's grim looking. I softened mine up with stickers and patches. But, being a female, I didn't want to look grim. My 30L is in gray and I love it.

Also, they are absolutely absurd about straps. There are endless straps. Some, such as the chest strap are useful. Others not so much.

Don't get irritated using the dividers. They are designed to be flexible and once you figure out how to set them the way you like them, you'll be glad you did. At first, they drove me nuts. There is a learning curve.

Finally, lock one side of the "wings" but leave the other unlocked. (there are little tabs you use for locking the zippers in place) This prevents you from opening the wrong wing and letting your gear fall out.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,636 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 28, 2019 06:43 |  #8

Check https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1510949 for the B&H Deal of the Day (10/28/2019) which may meet your needs.

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,976 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 28, 2019 15:19 |  #9

Might be too late. It also might not be the style you want. But I have a Manfrotto Off Road 30L which has a separate side access for camera gear (in a padded insert) & then the rest of the bag for whatever you wish...... I've used it on weekends away easily with the A7 and a few prime lenses. Also very comfortable to wear. It also comes in 20L.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

sponsored links

1,424 views & 1 like for this thread
Need Backpack Advice.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.