Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 03 Oct 2019 (Thursday) 19:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crystal Mill, Colorado

KCmike
Goldmember
2,145 posts
Gallery: 585 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 03, 2019 19:54 |  #1

After scaling down the side of a hill and paying the $10 fee/waiver of we’re not responsible for injuries, I sat up shop for some long exposure captures from this point of view. It was a long hike and needless to say I was going to take my time and try to get the shot I wanted. This is darn near as close to straight out of the camera as it gets. I used a 10 stop ND filter (Stupid me left my new 6 stop on the stairs at home, WHY ME?).

Anyways, my daughter and I got our feet wet and enjoyed the closeup views. I think the PoV from the top is overall a better capture of this area but it's always fun to try new things

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48839002863_d8859c56da_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hpJ​E2v  (external link) Crystal Mill, Colorado (Long Exposure) (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

The Crystal Mill, or the Old Mill is an 1892 wooden powerhouse located on an outcrop above the Crystal River in Crystal, Colorado, United States. It is accessible from Marble, Colorado via 4x4.
We did the hike, which is a 9 mile out and back on a rocky road. We were very tired but seeing the Mill in person was definitley worth the trip.
We debated quite a bit whether to hike or rent a ATV/UTV but the financial burden just wasn’t worth it to us. On the positive side, we hiked near a river almost the entire way and had amazing scenery at every turn in the hike.
The trail is rated as moderate by “All Trails” and I would say that is true except for the first part. The first quarter mile was entirely uphill and gettting aclimated to the elevation was a problem for my daughter and I.
This part of the country at this time of the season is really a show stopper. I encourage anyone that loves fall foliage to visit this part of Colorado in late September. The drive in from Aspen to Marble is literally jaw dropping as well. Never would I have imagined landscapes that I witnessed. I almost thought I was in Yosemite in California for awhile. I could have stopped at every curve in the road.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48834570811_f27aa902d4_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hpk​WwP  (external link) Crystal Mill (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

Canon 6D, 16-35L f/4, 24-105L f4, 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.8

sponsored links
Colorado ­ CJ
698 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 03, 2019 22:11 |  #2

VERY nice!

I think I like the first one a little more.

Was this recent?

My Photography Website
http://andrewmarjamaph​otography.com (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 03, 2019 23:40 |  #3

KCmike wrote in post #18937992 (external link)
This part of the country at this time of the season is really a show stopper. I encourage anyone that loves fall foliage to visit this part of Colorado in late September. The drive in from Aspen to Marble is literally jaw dropping as well. Never would I have imagined landscapes that I witnessed. I almost thought I was in Yosemite in California for awhile. I could have stopped at every curve in the road.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hpk​WwP  (external link) Crystal Mill (external link) by Mike Day (external link), on Flickr

I think the first one is best. And keep that other stuff under your hat, the official word out here is that fall stinks and it's not worth your time ;-)a

Flickr (external link)

DavidWatts
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 03, 2019 23:48 |  #4

Yup, great place that I've never been to. I'll look at any photo of that mill, anytime. The first shot is the winner of the two.

My Smugmug site (external link)

AS_Photo
220 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 04, 2019 11:55 |  #5

Bummer the trees hadn't turned. Forget the hike, I drive up there lol.

I wonder when they start collecting this $10 "donation" is the way I heard it. I'd be up there for sunrise or sunset. Last I was there, nobody was there bothering people about some dang fee.

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,145 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 04, 2019 12:42 as a reply to  @ Colorado CJ's post |  #6

Taken last friday.

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,145 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 04, 2019 12:43 as a reply to  @ AS_Photo's post |  #7

Supposedly someone flew a drone into the Mill and possibly damaged it a year or so ago from what others have told me.

Joe ­ Thibodeau
40 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2019

Oct 07, 2019 17:34 |  #8

The first one is smoking. A well balanced composition of a seriously beautiful scenic. I'd like to live that cabin for a month or two. And the water. Awesome.

Joe Thibodeau - Amateur Photographer

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,145 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 13, 2019 18:49 as a reply to  @ Joe Thibodeau's post |  #9

Thank you sir.

jmarsz
597 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 14, 2019 00:47 |  #10

Great photos! I really need to get up there next year, and spend like a week with the camera in the mountains.

Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)

KCmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,145 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 16, 2019 14:02 as a reply to  @ jmarsz's post |  #11

Shoot me a link on this thread when you get your images as I would love to see them. Thanks for the comments.

sponsored links

540 views & 20 likes for this thread
Crystal Mill, Colorado
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.