Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 16 Jul 2016 (Saturday) 20:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your Butterflies!! Tips on how to capture them.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,003 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 30, 2019 17:58 |  #301

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18935941 (external link)
I'm the same Tom. I get very excited if I get a decent image of a butterfly (or moth). We had a huge influx of Painted Ladies earlier in the summer and I did get one or two photos of them.

Painted Ladies! . Oh, wow!

I found a Painted Lady back in 2015. . I didn't know what it was, but I was so freaking excited because of its striking beauty. . Got a few okay pics before it fled. . Got home and looked it up and that's when I found that it was called a Painted Lady. . Have wanted to see a Painted Lady ever since, in the hopes of getting better quality photos, but that remains the only one I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Last month there was a rumor on Facebook about some butterflies being attracted to a patch of blooming Coreopsis about 150 miles south of me. . So, one Saturday back in August I drove to the Coreopsis patch in hopes of finding a Painted Lady there. . There were a few other types of butterflies, but none that were uncommonly beautiful like that Painted Lady was. . Spent a few hours trying to get close to the butterflies that were there, with very little success. . Didn't manage to come away with any quality images. . A whole day spent, and 300 miles of driving, for zero quality images.

This is pretty much how it goes for me with butterflies - lots of time and effort invested, with no success -?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Park ­ Ranger
238 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 30, 2019 18:19 |  #302

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18936066 (external link)
Painted Ladies! . Oh, wow!

I found a Painted Lady back in 2015. . I didn't know what it was, but I was so freaking excited because of its striking beauty. . Got a few okay pics before it fled. . Got home and looked it up and that's when I found that it was called a Painted Lady. . Have wanted to see a Painted Lady ever since, in the hopes of getting better quality photos, but that remains the only one I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Last month there was a rumor on Facebook about some butterflies being attracted to a patch of blooming Coreopsis about 150 miles south of me. . So, one Saturday back in August I drove to the Coreopsis patch in hopes of finding a Painted Lady there. . There were a few other types of butterflies, but none that were uncommonly beautiful like that Painted Lady was. . Spent a few hours trying to get close to the butterflies that were there, with very little success. . Didn't manage to come away with any quality images. . A whole day spent, and 300 miles of driving, for zero quality images.

This is pretty much how it goes for me with butterflies - lots of time and effort invested, with no success -?

I think it’s all about how rare a butterfly is in your area or how much you want/need a photo of it. Painted Lady can be seen quite often here in eastern NM, and normally not to difficult to approach. That being said, I think much of it is approaching slowly and in stages helps. Stay low. Avoid casting a shadow and wearing clothes that blend in.
But when a rare butterfly is sighted I have to fight the urge to break all of my own rules! :)
Seriously, I think it’s Much less stressful now than back when we only had 36 exposures(and likely already shot most). And the wait to see if you got that keeper. Lol

Park ­ Ranger
238 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 30, 2019 18:26 |  #303

Here is one that we rarely get here and always causes me much anxiety. :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

cfdesigns
565 posts
Gallery: 276 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Sep 30, 2019 19:24 |  #304

The Hitchhiker! This guy hung out his hoof for quite some time.

HOSTED PHOTO

Park ­ Ranger
238 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 30, 2019 20:36 |  #305

cfdesigns wrote in post #18936109 (external link)
The Hitchhiker! This guy hung out his hoof for quite some time.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cfdesigns in
./showthread.php?p=189​36109&i=i8404756
forum: Macro

Good eye!
And good photo of a beautiful butterfly.

cfdesigns
565 posts
Gallery: 276 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Sep 30, 2019 21:41 |  #306

Park Ranger wrote in post #18936151 (external link)
Good eye!
And good photo of a beautiful butterfly.

Thank you! He hung out there for a while. I had to run up to the barn to get my camera. I was surprised he was still there when I got back.

Lester ­ Wareham
28,259 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 01, 2019 12:08 |  #307

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18933759 (external link)
I find that the butterflies I try to photograph are EXTREMELY skittish. . Whenever I try to approach, they fly off well before I get anywhere near photo range.

Does anyone else experience this behavior?

There are VERY few butterflies where I live here in eastern Washington, and I get quite excited whenever I happen to see one, because they are such a rare occurrence. . But then I can never get good photos because of their extreme skittishness. . How do y'all deal with their shyness and fear? . Or are they just not like that in other parts of the country/world?

Key with post insects is not to obscure the sky from their perspective, not to jog undergrowth, so approach low on knees or lower.

Some will be more sensitive than others, of course if they are busy feeding, mating or sunning they hang around for longer and are less likely to be disturbed.

In poor years when numbers are low I tend to find they are more skittish, possibly because they are experiencing a higher individual rate of attention from predators and those not skittish are quickly removed from the population.

I don't try bribes with sugared water as almost all my subjects are in the field rather than the garden.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

PhotosGuy
75,886 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 02, 2019 08:18 |  #308

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18936522 (external link)
Key with post insects is not to obscure the sky from their perspective, not to jog undergrowth, so approach low on knees or lower.

Some will be more sensitive than others, of course if they are busy feeding, mating or sunning they hang around for longer and are less likely to be disturbed.

In poor years when numbers are low I tend to find they are more skittish, possibly because they are experiencing a higher individual rate of attention from predators and those not skittish are quickly removed from the population.

I don't try bribes with sugared water as almost all my subjects are in the field rather than the garden.

Sometimes it helps to be patient. I had a Sulfur 6' away take off, fly 40' away & about 50' up in the air on a windy day. Then it came back & landed six inches from where it started! Thing is it took off & landed on bare ground, not on any easily identifiable plant or other object. So how did it keep track of where it started from?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

robamy
Goldmember
2,633 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 04, 2019 03:34 |  #309

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48841102722_c310c95a66_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hpV​qeY  (external link) The bee and the Butterflies (Eos R) (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/robamyphotos/ (external link)
Instagram #RobAmyNature
YouTubehttps://www.youtube.co​m …/UCXHzc4eU2AfHU​CuGW31GNdA (external link)
Vimeo https://vimeo.com/roba​myvideos (external link)

Park ­ Ranger
238 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 05, 2019 14:32 |  #310

Bordered Patch greeting the world.

HOSTED PHOTO

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,860 posts
Gallery: 710 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 07, 2019 07:32 |  #311

Park Ranger wrote in post #18939050 (external link)
Bordered Patch greeting the world.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Park Ranger in
./showthread.php?p=189​39050&i=i251427353
forum: Macro

Love this. Never seen it happen.

flickr (external link)

Park ­ Ranger
238 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 07, 2019 09:22 |  #312

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18939977 (external link)
Love this. Never seen it happen.

Thank you!

Then you Really must arrange to. I’ve been blessed to witness the event several times and each time is more moving than the last. :)

Park ­ Ranger
238 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 07, 2019 18:02 |  #313

Sometimes it’s about the butterflies and the bees! :)

Buckeye.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,003 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 07, 2019 18:11 as a reply to  @ Park Ranger's post |  #314

The Buckeye is so gorgeous!

I saw one when I was in Oklahoma back in July. . I was flabbergasted at it beauty. . Took a quick photo as soon as I saw it and then tried to move in close for a good image. . Didn't happen - it flew off before I got anywhere near close enough, and I never saw it again. . Nor did I see any others during the 4 days that I spent there.

I don't know how many years I'll have to wait until I see a Buckeye again, but I sure would like to! . To be able to get photos as nice as this one that you've posted is something that I would invest a good deal of time and money into being able to do.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Park ­ Ranger
238 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 07, 2019 18:34 |  #315

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18940306 (external link)
The Buckeye is so gorgeous!

I saw one when I was in Oklahoma back in July. . I was flabbergasted at it beauty. . Took a quick photo as soon as I saw it and then tried to move in close for a good image. . Didn't happen - it flew off before I got anywhere near close enough, and I never saw it again. . Nor did I see any others during the 4 days that I spent there.

I don't know how many years I'll have to wait until I see a Buckeye again, but I sure would like to! . To be able to get photos as nice as this one that you've posted is something that I would invest a good deal of time and money into being able to do.

Thank you Tom for your very kind words! I’m moved and a little bit embarrassed. I do understand where you’re coming from, when you mention the flustrations of trying to get a photo of something. The Buckeye is also one of my nemesis. I have seen few and usually I see them just about the exact moment they are about to take off. :) I’ve had my heart sink several times by watching one disappear just as I was locking focus.
This one was a “gift “. I snapped and the little bee flushed it a moment later, to disappear down the grown up country ditch.
Keep trying. The prize will come. :)
Thanks again!!

sponsored links

81,266 views & 1,565 likes for this thread
Post your Butterflies!! Tips on how to capture them.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.