Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2019 (Thursday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos

markesc
Goldmember
2,883 posts
Gallery: 1203 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 07, 2019 22:45 |  #856

MatthewK wrote in post #18939377 (external link)
I hate to belabor the point, but here's what I'm talking about: same position, same bird, consecutive shots from a 10fps burst. The two previous were in focus, the next three out:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=189​39377&i=i96382347
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I know about MFA, I have solid shooting fundamentals. It just happened. I'm too early in my 90D ownership to determine if this is a common occurrence, or if something else in my environment caused the focus to drift. I'll keep shooting and see.

I've had this happen on my 80d. So, I just gave up kind of. I'll still shoot in servo, but only fire off 2-3 shot bursts unless it's a flight shot.

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
12Rock
637 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 07, 2019 22:45 |  #857

Interesting read so far

markesc
Goldmember
2,883 posts
Gallery: 1203 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 07, 2019 22:48 |  #858

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18940078 (external link)
I don't know if this is at all likely, but we might want to remember that the 5Ds and 7D2 sensors have the same pixel density, so maybe there will be a FF version of the 90D's sensor.

//runs do do the math..

That would be the same 80+ MP sensor that the rumors have been bandying about for some time.

Very likely per one of the posts on CanonRumors

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 07, 2019 23:14 |  #859

SYS wrote in post #18940168 (external link)
For sports photographers interested in 90D, I ran into this blog review of the camera with lots of football action shots:

http://ksimonian.com …esults-49ers-vs-steelers/ (external link)

i'm not sure about keeping up with the speedy 4-0 niners squad...but gotta admit, the 90D was pretty good with my 6-year old nephews soccer team...i think only 3 shots in total were out of focus...

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48860505917_a29e894219_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hrC​S8P  (external link) p-week39_19_0074 (external link) by andre gregoire (external link), on Flickr

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

JayLT
561 posts
Gallery: 274 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2019

Oct 07, 2019 23:54 |  #860

A couple more quick shots from the weekend. Being so large and out in the open, these have to be some of the easiest birds to take pictures of. I can only imagine trying to get some of the pics of songbirds that I see posted in here

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr stream: https://flic.kr/ps/se6​hB (external link)
Currently using Canon 90D and 5Ds

JayLT
561 posts
Joined Sep 2019
Post edited over 1 year ago by JayLT.

Oct 08, 2019 02:01 |  #861

Amazingly enough a couple of the osprey pictures didn't turn out too bad, even though I completely missed the settings

HOSTED PHOTO

h14nha
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 08, 2019 09:20 |  #862

Archibald wrote in post #18939672 (external link)
It's funny how things go. Yes, there was a lot of complaining at the time about the 7D2 AF.

And now we are disappointed that the 90D doesn't focus as well as the APS-C standard, the 7D2.

There was an ongoing thread arguing the 7D2 AF that went on for ages ( 470+ pages ), surely no smoke without fire. I wasn't shooting enough at the time to justify a splurge buy, we had had 3 children in 5 years so birding/photography took a back seat. Heck my 7Dc is on the original firmware.

In the 10 years I have had my 7D, Canon have upped the MPX count and ISO performance, but surely all useless unless a solid AF is there. LV shooting with a 400mm+ lens should not be the go-to after 10 years of camera development.

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

cdmazoff
218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2019

Oct 08, 2019 13:02 |  #863

JayLT wrote in post #18940498 (external link)
Amazingly enough a couple of the osprey pictures didn't turn out too bad, even though I completely missed the settings
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by JayLT in
./showthread.php?p=189​40498&i=i121508610

Hi Jay... Wow..Love the Osprey.. By missing settings you mean the histogram being nowhere near the right? But the shot is amazing!!!!

Tell me what you mean by "missed the settings"

Well done

"His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances
like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free" (Anon)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/cdmazoff/ (external link)

JayLT
561 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Oct 08, 2019 13:15 |  #864

cdmazoff wrote in post #18940762 (external link)
Hi Jay... Wow..Love the Osprey.. By missing settings you mean the histogram being nowhere near the right? But the shot is amazing!!!!

Tell me what you mean by "missed the settings"

Well done

Well, I'm not a bird photographer by any means, but I do frequent a good amount of airshows and the setting I used for this should have been much closer to planes in the air. The metering was still set to evaluative, where it should have been either spot or center-weighted IMO. Also, I would have put about +1/3-2/3 exposure compensation, but it would have depended on the shutter-speed set by the metering change.

I was shooting something on the ground when I caught the shadow overhead and just rattled off some shots without really changing anything. Caught up in the moment I guess as I've never seen an osprey out int he wild that closely before!

I had to add just under one full stop of light and take up the shadows a good amount to get it where it is, and most where either out of focus or unrecoverable. Thankfully it was at a low enough ISO that bringing up the shadows didn't cause any serious issues with noise.

I'm still happy with it though!

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Gallery: 365 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 08, 2019 13:43 |  #865

Not my usual subject

I was set up for BIF when this fence runner stopped and posed for a few seconds: IS mode 2, 9 central focus points (two lit up, right on his face). About 50% crop.

HOSTED PHOTO

MIKEIVAN

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,681 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 08, 2019 13:47 |  #866

mikeivan wrote in post #18940787 (external link)
Not my usual subject

I was set up for BIF when this fence runner stopped and posed for a few seconds: IS mode 2, 9 central focus points (two lit up, right on his face). About 50% crop.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mikeivan in
./showthread.php?p=189​40787&i=i61375539

A nice impromptu portrait!

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Gallery: 365 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 08, 2019 14:12 |  #867

Linda's Knock Out Rose

HOSTED PHOTO

Another portrait from our back yard, this morning, with proper settings. About 50% crop.

MIKEIVAN

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,681 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 08, 2019 15:56 |  #868

Wood Duck having a bath.

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Gallery: 1000 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by MatthewK. (2 edits in all)

Oct 08, 2019 18:32 |  #869

I'm doing some AF tests using the 600, nothing controlled though, as I like to test how I shoot: handheld from a stable position, just like if I was photographing a bird in the field. I'm shooting on 10FPS until the buffer fills, usually getting 27-31 shots; doing multiple runs of each of the AF modes (Spot, Single, Zone, Large Zone, Auto), and AF'ing on fir tree bud about 30' distant with no distractions (background was a mile away). I'm standing braced against a wall, strap is tightened to give extra support.

These are just loose observations after 3-4 runs of each mode, but it doesn't take much to see trends start to develop:

- On average, the 90D is completely blowing focus on 4-7 shots per set. When the shots are missed, I am talking about "what the heck did the camera focus on" missed.

- These occur at random clumps in the burst, 13 sharp, 3 completely OOF, another 8 sharp, 1 more slightly OOF, etc.

- Single AF perform the best, giving me the most shots before the buffer fills, and only missing 2-3 shots.

- Spot is slightly worse, with an average of 3-5 misses.

- Zone, Large Zone and Auto fill the buffer quicker, and have the most misses. I don't use these modes very often, so they may require additional settings considerations that I am not aware of.

I'm tweaking AF now, going to try setting Release Priorities to "Focus", and AF Point Switching to -1 (or whichever makes it stick the longest). iTR has been turned off since I got the camera.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,681 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 08, 2019 19:18 |  #870

MatthewK wrote in post #18940913 (external link)
I'm doing some AF tests using the 600, nothing controlled though, as I like to test how I shoot: handheld from a stable position, just like if I was photographing a bird in the field. I'm shooting on 10FPS until the buffer fills, usually getting 27-31 shots; doing multiple runs of each of the AF modes (Spot, Single, Zone, Large Zone, Auto), and AF'ing on fir tree bud about 30' distant with no distractions (background was a mile away). I'm standing braced against a wall, strap is tightened to give extra support.

These are just loose observations after 3-4 runs of each mode, but it doesn't take much to see trends start to develop:

- On average, the 90D is completely blowing focus on 4-7 shots per set. When the shots are missed, I am talking about "what the heck did the camera focus on" missed.

- These occur at random clumps in the burst, 13 sharp, 3 completely OOF, another 8 sharp, 1 more slightly OOF, etc.

- Single AF perform the best, giving me the most shots before the buffer fills, and only missing 2-3 shots.

- Spot is slightly worse, with an average of 3-5 misses.

- Zone, Large Zone and Auto fill the buffer quicker, and have the most misses. I don't use these modes very often, so they may require additional settings considerations that I am not aware of.

I'm tweaking AF now, going to try setting Release Priorities to "Focus", and AF Point Switching to -1 (or whichever makes it stick the longest). iTR has been turned off since I got the camera.

Very interesting, thanks for the report.

sponsored links

415,389 views & 5,543 likes for this thread
-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.