Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 06 Sep 2019 (Friday) 22:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND mdvaden (showing now: mdvaden)
Overall Rating8
Overall Image Quality8
Value for Money10
Bokeh8
Sharpness8.5
Contrast8
Focusing9.5
Must Have10
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8

Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8, reviewed by mdvaden

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Sep 06, 2019 22:01 |  #1

Just bought this older version 90mm tilt-shift after finding several good online reviews. What surprised me most was the compact size, similar size as my Tamron 35mm 1.8 lens. The 90mm t-se works fine on the 5DS, And also appears to work adapted on the Canon M5. The 90mm ts-e worked very good on the EOS R. I could change the aperture from the camera and also with the control ring adapter.

From the few test shots I took, it's evident right away I'm going to enjoy the general look from photos, whether scenes or portraits. I understand it has a bit less movement than the latest 90mm tilt-shift macro, but it should be plenty for what I hope to do.

An extension tube is supposed to bring this 90mm close to macro lens. Apparently the Canon Extenders can work according to reviews. I bought this used via an Amazon seller for $468 .. the condition was stated as "good" but it is actually very good to new like cosmetically.

Here's test shot at f/7.1 from about 5 feet away.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by mdvaden.

Sep 06, 2019 22:07 |  #2

Here's two samples. One straight aimed toward the book. The other tilted bringing more text and page into focus. The lens was rotated for tilting up or down.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 06, 2019 22:08 |  #3

Another pair, with the lens rotated for tilt either left or right.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,661 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 08, 2019 04:39 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #4

Nice!

Do notice the bokeh both in background and foreground. They are equally good, no matter what aperture you use. It is another reason for me to love the TS-Es :).

BTW, I recently traded my TS-E 45 and TSE 90 for a TS-E 135L Macro. Still plan on picking up the two I don;t have in my collection yet ;). The TS-Es and the MP-E 65 are some of the main reasons why I went with Canon 14 years ago :).

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 08, 2019 14:51 |  #5

wimg wrote in post #18923381 (external link)
Nice!

Do notice the bokeh both in background and foreground. They are equally good, no matter what aperture you use. It is another reason for me to love the TS-Es :).

BTW, I recently traded my TS-E 45 and TSE 90 for a TS-E 135L Macro. Still plan on picking up the two I don;t have in my collection yet ;). The TS-Es and the MP-E 65 are some of the main reasons why I went with Canon 14 years ago :).

Kind regards, Wim

The tilt shift was a reminder of how broad a range of products Canon has to develop, and has developed over the years. Likewise the recent Canon 470EX-ai auto/semi-auto flash I just bought. The tilt shift will be new ground for me to explore.

Of all the 1st versions, I read the 90mm was still one of the better choices. If I found the right reviews, the 45mm may be another good 1st version to get.

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,661 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 14, 2019 10:41 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #6

Even the old TS-E 24L (Mark I) is a darn good lens, despite it being talked into the ground every so often.

I have used that too for semi-macro shots, and it si darm good too :).

The 45 I mostly used for architecture amd product shots, the 24 for landscape, architecure and semi-macro, the 90 mostly for product shots and macro, although it does well for portraiture as well. Never used it much for the latter, as I also had the 85L II, and still have the 135L.

One of the resaons to acquire the TS-E 135L Macro recently (and exchange the 45 and 90 for that) is exactly that, for macro, and for product shots, and of course the improved tilt-/shift-mechanism, apart from this being a newer, better lens design.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 09, 2019 23:17 |  #7

wimg wrote in post #18926679 (external link)
Even the old TS-E 24L (Mark I) is a darn good lens, despite it being talked into the ground every so often.

I have used that too for semi-macro shots, and it si darm good too :).

Thanks for the insight.

Used this 90mm last weekend for some decor at a wedding. It was a pleasure to use.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

361 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8, reviewed by mdvaden
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.