Received my copy today and played around with it a bit. Nothing worth posting but more about functionality. First impressions are good.
- Obviously much lighter than the 28-300L!
- Focus outdoors in sun/shade is fine.
- Sharpness seems good.
- IS is good.
- As others have noted the Lr lens/CA profiles need some work.
- Lr CA profile +2 (manual CA) was about right for the test shots at 24 mm. It was pretty good at 240 mm.
- Lr lens profile removes the hard vignette and changes the distortion. The subject matter will dictate whether I use the lens profile or just crop out the vignette. Think straight lines.
There have been a few comments on the Internet about Canon using lens corrections to overcome bad lens design. Some questioned, like I did, if it was really 26 mm on the wide end.
I think the image that hits the sensor is really around 20 mm and the lens profile crops and may use part of that 20-24 mm data for distortion corrections so the final output is 24 mm equivalent. I will have to test this sometime. The bottom line is whether what I see in the EVF is actually in the final image.
Hopefully I can get out this weekend and play with it.