Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Nov 2019 (Tuesday) 16:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Yongnuo

Parashooter
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2019

Nov 19, 2019 16:58 |  #1

Just got my Canon T7i. I’m looking to get 2 or 3 Yongnuo flashes and a master or triggers, for indoor and outdoor portraits mainly. I looked through threads, but didn’t really see what I was looking for. Does anyone have some recommendations for me, based on actual experience with Yongnuo products. Any help is much appreciated.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,441 posts
Gallery: 1762 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 19, 2019 17:00 |  #2

Heya,

If you don't need TTL, the latest Yongnuo base manual flashes are great.

However, I will also point you towards the Flashpoint R2 based manual flashes too. Service is through Adorama. Good flashes. R2 protocol is excellent. Just to give you some competition to the future purchase. This matters a lot as you start mixing in lights. You will.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Parashooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2019

Nov 20, 2019 06:23 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

I’ll definitely check those out. Thanks

Temma
936 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 20, 2019 07:32 |  #4

MalVeauX wrote in post #18962890 (external link)
Heya,

If you don't need TTL, the latest Yongnuo base manual flashes are great.

However, I will also point you towards the Flashpoint R2 based manual flashes too. Service is through Adorama. Good flashes. R2 protocol is excellent. Just to give you some competition to the future purchase. This matters a lot as you start mixing in lights. You will.

Very best,

And they seem to be cheaper than the Yongnuos too.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2019 14:04 |  #5

The godox, depending on the models, offer rechargeable power and better integration into their full line if strobes. I have the yn triggers but use the godox system instead

inkista
658 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by inkista.

Nov 22, 2019 22:42 |  #6

Parashooter wrote in post #18962888 (external link)
Just got my Canon T7i. I’m looking to get 2 or 3 Yongnuo flashes and a master or triggers, for indoor and outdoor portraits mainly. I looked through threads, but didn’t really see what I was looking for. Does anyone have some recommendations for me, based on actual experience with Yongnuo products. Any help is much appreciated.

Like everyone else is saying, get Godox instead. And this is from actual experience with Yongnuo products.

A lot of us used to use Yongnuo gear, and then dead-ended because they only make speedlights, and they have three separate, mostly incompatible triggering systems (60x/560 manual, 622 TTL, and the RT clone systems). Yongnuo is working on merging the 560 and 622 systems together, but Godox's system started out completely integrated between their manual only lights and their TTL-capable ones, and at this point, their system is miles ahead of Yongnuo's just-released YN-560-TX Pro system when it comes to expansion options.

Godox makes a lot of larger studio strobes in their system that work alongside the speedlights. And they have TTL/HSS support not just for Canon and Nikon, but also Sony, Fuji, micro four-thirds, and Pentax. So if you ever leave the Canon fold, your lights can still be used off-camera in TTL/HSS; you only have to replace whatever you're using directly on the flash hotshoe.

If you're looking at the YN-560IV, I'd say look at the Godox TT600 (external link). If you're looking at the Yongnuo YN-568EXII, YN685EX, YN600EX-RT, or YN968EX-RT, then look at the Godox TT685-C (external link). If you're interested in long battery life, also consider the V860II-C (external link). And if you're looking for a poor man's Profoto A1, look at the Godox V1 (external link). :D

Flash Havoc has a great overview of the system (external link).

Adorama rebrand the Godox 2.4GHz gear as "Flashpoint R2"; B&H keeps it as Godox branded. And if you're in the US, you probably want to purchase the gear from either of those two retailers, because they'll cover the warranty period. Godox themselves aren't great about responding to support requests.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Parashooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2019

Nov 23, 2019 09:13 as a reply to  @ inkista's post |  #7

Awesome. Thanks so much for your input.

LincolnB69
125 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2019

Nov 28, 2019 01:21 |  #8

Dont't know about the Yongs but Godox V860 is a steal.

sponsored links

455 views & 3 likes for this thread
Help with Yongnuo
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.