Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Chris1966
43 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 8 days ago by Chris1966. (3 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2019 07:21 |  #6376

MatthewK wrote in post #18968473 (external link)
Once locked on, the R is rock solid and tracks well, definitely no complaints there :-) It's looking more and more like I'll have to change how I shoot with it then, knowing I have to be more careful of focus position; maybe by default I'll just rack the focus back closer to MFD before proceeding. Will also test and see if the 1.4 TC is affecting AF responsiveness and accuracy.

The thing is though, The D500 + 500 PF is making me question if I should even bother w/ the R and 600 III. This past Fall migration was the ultimate test to see if the Nikon combo could successfully conquer Warbler shooting, and it passed with flying colors. I've been convinced that it's all I really need for my birding, so I've been entertaining thoughts of selling the 600. Ughhh... I hate to see it go, almost as much as I hate to see it sit not being used :(

It's interesting to hear that the D500 is apparently still miles ahead of any Canon body. But the comparison between the Canon 600/4 and the Nikon 500/5.6 is an odd one, they are such different lenses, I cannot imagine how a 500mm f5.6 lens could ever replace a 600mm f4 lens.
If you were to put the 600mm f4 with 1.4tc on the 90D, you would have reach (at identical aperture) that leaves the Nikon set far, far behind, even without factoring in the much higher pixel density of the Canon 90D.
So if you do not need that reach, then sure, I would sell the 600mm f4 without doubt and enjoy the 500mm PF, but otherwise, how can the 500PF éver replace the Canon 600mm f4?

B.t.w. I find myself contemplating the Nikon set though, having only recently gotten the Canon 400DOII with converters. I sorely miss the Sony sensor of my former Pentax K3II. It turns out I cannot easily come to grips with the Canon AA-filters and the 7DIII that I would really want, is unsure to say the least. So I am thinking of taking it all in and get the D500 with 500PF and be done with it...

sponsored links
robamy
Goldmember
2,633 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 02, 2019 15:47 |  #6377

When eagle action is slow you shot seagulls :lol:

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49160117971_1cfa0ab1a8_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hU7​smT  (external link) Ring Billed Gull (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/robamyphotos/ (external link)
Instagram #RobAmyNature
YouTubehttps://www.youtube.co​m …/UCXHzc4eU2AfHU​CuGW31GNdA (external link)
Vimeo https://vimeo.com/roba​myvideos (external link)

swltr
746 posts
Gallery: 204 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 02, 2019 16:17 |  #6378

mdvaden wrote in post #18968257 (external link)
Coast redwood old growth with Canon 45mm 2.8 TS-E

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=189​68257&i=i68614543
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I like this one very much. The composition is amazing

http://www.steffenwalt​her-photographics.de (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

swltr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 02, 2019 16:19 |  #6379

squashed wrote in post #18968769 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by squashed in
./showthread.php?p=189​68769&i=i94730693

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​68769&i=i184773870

very nice shots. what are these towers for?

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

swltr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 02, 2019 16:22 |  #6380

this set is great. very good timing and brilliant quality. seems that the R is good for fast action shots.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

mhickman
290 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 02, 2019 16:27 |  #6381

I'm not one for using natural/available light, as I really like shooting with my strobes, but we were in a public mall, so no lighting was brought in.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,430 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 02, 2019 17:04 |  #6382

mhickman wrote in post #18969194 (external link)
I'm not one for using natural/available light, as I really like shooting with my strobes, but we were in a public mall, so no lighting was brought in.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mhickman in
./showthread.php?p=189​69194&i=i234781911

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mhickman in
./showthread.php?p=189​69194&i=i83941659

Looks good. I prefer the 2nd since there's some extra brightness in part of the background.

I started leaning to over 90% using added light, and lately shifted to a 50/50 split between natural light and supplemental lights.

The day I shot this photo, 2/3 was with a speedlite and umbrella. Near the end when this was taken, I opted for the available natural light.

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Ozimax
329 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 02, 2019 17:23 |  #6383

mdvaden wrote in post #18959376 (external link)
Same flower (Clivia) that I used for the Canon 60mm photo I shared the other day. This was taken with a Canon FD 300mm f/4 that I found on Ebay for $80. The lens arrived in almost new-like condition. It has hefty fringing in bright contrasty light just as noted at several reviews, but I generally shoot in easy mild light, including the redwoods.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=189​59376&i=i198904871

Magnificent.

Instead of loving things and using people, why not use things and love people? :-)

squashed
Goldmember
4,179 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 02, 2019 17:41 as a reply to  @ swltr's post |  #6384

They were grain silo's back in the day.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,288 posts
Gallery: 805 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 8 days ago by MatthewK.

Dec 02, 2019 20:22 |  #6385

Chris1966 wrote in post #18968949 (external link)
It's interesting to hear that the D500 is apparently still miles ahead of any Canon body. But the comparison between the Canon 600/4 and the Nikon 500/5.6 is an odd one, they are such different lenses, I cannot imagine how a 500mm f5.6 lens could ever replace a 600mm f4 lens.
If you were to put the 600mm f4 with 1.4tc on the 90D, you would have reach (at identical aperture) that leaves the Nikon set far, far behind, even without factoring in the much higher pixel density of the Canon 90D.
So if you do not need that reach, then sure, I would sell the 600mm f4 without doubt and enjoy the 500mm PF, but otherwise, how can the 500PF éver replace the Canon 600mm f4?

B.t.w. I find myself contemplating the Nikon set though, having only recently gotten the Canon 400DOII with converters. I sorely miss the Sony sensor of my former Pentax K3II. It turns out I cannot easily come to grips with the Canon AA-filters and the 7DIII that I would really want, is unsure to say the least. So I am thinking of taking it all in and get the D500 with 500PF and be done with it...

After having shot with the 100-400II, 400 DOII, 500II, 600II/III on both APSC and FF bodies, I've been able to zero in on the focal length(s) that best suit what I need: ~750 to 850mm, give or take. I ended up w/ the 1DXII + 600 III + 1.4 = 840mm, and then the D500 + 500PF = 750mm. For me, there's more to it than meets the eye though:

I know the 1DX2 wins the test chart contest, no argument there, and while that's the case, I like the files from my D500 better than from my 1DX2. While the 1DX2 has the much better high ISO noise control, I'm blown away by how excellent the D500 files are in post, especially with the advent of Topaz DeNoise AI. To me, that's almost erased the noise advantage.

But aside from the files, I have other reasons to prefer the Nikon setup:

- D500 + 500PF has you framed at 750mm and f/5.6. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm still technically at 500mm f/5.6, I know.)
- 1DX2 + 600III + 1.4TC, and you're at 840mm and f/5.6
- Same aperture at similar FOV
- 500PF has better MFD
- Canon setup will have more pleasing background blur, but with the right shot setup, this advantage isn't all that
- Canon = $14k better more expensive
- Canon = ~ 6lbs heavier
- D500PF = immeasurably better to hand hold all day, not even debatable
- D500PF = so much easier to travel with

Really, the shots from the 1DX2 setup just weren't "mind blowingly" better enough to justify the additional weight and cost. I'm ok with taking whatever test chart IQ hit for all the benefits and advantages the D500PF brings for how and what I want to shoot.

When I first started shooting w/ the D500PF, I was certain that the 750mm FOV would be too short for my birding, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how well I've done with the reduced reach compared to what I was getting w/ the 1DX2600III. I think a lot of it has to do with both how I have gotten better at getting closer to my subjects, and being more exacting in choosing the right setting/composition for the photos I want to make. Naturally, there will be shots I miss because I don't have enough reach, but on the same token there will be shots I can get when a bird comes in closer and the 840mm is too much. You win some, you lose some.

Maximum focal distance easily goes to the 600mm + 2.0x, but I find that if I'm that far away my shot composition has a good chance of being garbage. I shoot small birds in primarily woody/brushy areas, so I'm looking for closer shots because the further out you get, things get much more difficult: the higher the chance you have for obstacles in the viewing path, and your composition choices/control becomes more narrow (getting nice light + right shooting angles + predicting where bird will land + avoiding aforementioned obstacles). Picking a more close up site with multiple perch options and more clear lanes of shooting grants me better chances of getting a clean shot, vs. trying to snipe from further out.

What I've learned is that when getting closer in, I was A) hitting MFD sooner w/ the 600, and B) the bigger rig as much more inflexible when it came to responding to unpredictable subjects. Often times I might be shooting from weird, contorted angles, or could be sitting completely still with camera up to the eye at the ready for long periods, or be required to lean out past my center of gravity to get a different composition. In situations like this, the 600 will wear me out a lot faster, whereas the 500PF I can sustain for a lot longer.

In the end, yeah, a 500 f/5.6 can't replace a 600 f/4 if you need a 600 f/4, but for me the 500 is the best choice. It comes down to what works for each individual, and I've been elated to discover that the Nikon setup accomplishes exactly what I want for my photography, and I'm so happy that I don't need the bigger, more expensive rig.

Chris1966 wrote in post #18968949 (external link)

As I mentioned above, the files I'm getting from the D500 just come off the camera looking great, whereas the Canon files need some massaging to get into shape. In Lightroom, the recent addition of the Texture slider was huge for bird feather detail, it feel that it was exactly what my Canon files have been missing all these years. It's been fun going back and re-editing my past favorites and seeing the immediately better quality of my shots.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

Shortaction
32 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Dec 02, 2019 20:48 |  #6386

33yrs since the water was this high on Lake Huron.

HOSTED PHOTO

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,184 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 03, 2019 01:54 |  #6387

squashed wrote in post #18968769 (external link)
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​68769&i=i94730693

Tones of Infrared - very nice!

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

robamy
Goldmember
2,633 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 03, 2019 04:16 |  #6388

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49162920777_4a6d84f833_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hUm​Px8  (external link) Graceful Beauty (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49162199578_dd0d8d3536_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hUi​89E  (external link) Power pose (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/robamyphotos/ (external link)
Instagram #RobAmyNature
YouTubehttps://www.youtube.co​m …/UCXHzc4eU2AfHU​CuGW31GNdA (external link)
Vimeo https://vimeo.com/roba​myvideos (external link)

charleshurstphotography
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2019

Dec 03, 2019 05:30 |  #6389

Hey all,

Some amazing photos, inspiring!

Just moved over to the EOS R from my 5D Mark II.

I was toying with the idea of going to Sony, however the RF glass and firmware 1.4 (plus the fact I have lots and lots of EF glass) pushed me to the EOS R.

I'm SO happy it did, what a camera. Especially with RF glass, below are some shots taken with my RF 50mm 1.2, hope you enjoy!

Charles

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

mhickman
290 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 03, 2019 06:58 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #6390

I almost always use flash, but with being in a crowded mall, I didn't want to chance getting kicked out by security.

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

sponsored links

937,383 views & 15,354 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.