Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,449 posts
Gallery: 648 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 10, 2019 01:27 |  #35506

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49197133738_a374a95c30_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hXo​aRL  (external link) Christmas Time (external link) by Daniel Lee (external link)

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Website (external link) / flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,224 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Eddie.

Dec 10, 2019 04:38 |  #35507

navydoc wrote in post #18972756 (external link)
Thanks Travis. I'm excited to get my new Sony a9 tomorrow. I opted for the 'old' version rather than the a9II and saved $1000 there. That's due to the a9 being on sale at a $500 discount and it was bundled with a $109.99 Sony 64GB SF-G Tough Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card for free. I'm trading in my a7r II and a7r III to help ease the pain too so now I will be back to owning only two cameras, the a7r IV and the a9.

I don't know if I'll need to update to the newest firmware until it arrives but I plan on downloading it just in case. I'm probably going to be picking the brainpower of you and other a9 users here if I have questions, and most likely, I will.

After owning high megapixel cameras, it will be interesting to get back to a smaller format. One of my favorite cameras I've owned was a Canon 1Ds Mark II and it had a 16.7 megapixel sensor.

Congrats Gene! I sometimes consider getting a used a9 and a used a7rii and selling my R3. The 7rii would be solely landscape and the a9 everything else but I quite like the all in one solution of the r3 albeit not as good af as the a9 so haven’t done anything about it yet

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,233 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by mystik610. (2 edits in all)

Dec 10, 2019 06:00 |  #35508

Surface dial was on sale last week so I grabbed one of those too. The fact that you can place it on the screen and an overlay will pop up is cool as hell, but not practical or useful at all for photo editing. But the dial itself is really useful since it allows you to literally 'dial in' you adjustments. Plus it makes scrolling through the catalog a lot easier.

The pen and the dial just change the whole post processing workflow. I basically switched from using the keyboard and mouse to PP, and now PP with the pen in my right hand and the dial in my left. I even mapped ctrl-shift-v to the dial, so I can quickly paste copied settings over between images in my catalog.

Anyway the fact that the dial exists shows how much MS really thought of creative workflows using a touch screen. Really nice touch

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49197856558_3ca7b03c85_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hXr​SJb  (external link) DSC09338 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,233 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 10, 2019 07:41 |  #35509

navydoc wrote in post #18972756 (external link)
Thanks Travis. I'm excited to get my new Sony a9 tomorrow. I opted for the 'old' version rather than the a9II and saved $1000 there. That's due to the a9 being on sale at a $500 discount and it was bundled with a $109.99 Sony 64GB SF-G Tough Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card for free. I'm trading in my a7r II and a7r III to help ease the pain too so now I will be back to owning only two cameras, the a7r IV and the a9.

I don't know if I'll need to update to the newest firmware until it arrives but I plan on downloading it just in case. I'm probably going to be picking the brainpower of you and other a9 users here if I have questions, and most likely, I will.

After owning high megapixel cameras, it will be interesting to get back to a smaller format. One of my favorite cameras I've owned was a Canon 1Ds Mark II and it had a 16.7 megapixel sensor.

Congrats on the a9 Gene!

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,707 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by navydoc.

Dec 10, 2019 08:00 |  #35510

xpfloyd wrote in post #18972945 (external link)
Congrats Gene! I sometimes consider getting a used a9 and a used a7rii and selling my R3. The 7rii would be solely landscape and the a9 everything else but I quite like the all in one solution of the r3 albeit not as good af as the a9 so haven’t done anything about it yet

Thanks Eddie. For me, it's a great way to consolidate my gear into a more sensible package. I really had no need to hang onto the a7r 2, 3, and 4 so now I will be back down to a manageable number of cameras. Truth be told, the a9 may wind up being the camera I use 99% of the time.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,411 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 2 months ago by rantercsr. (2 edits in all)

Dec 10, 2019 17:31 |  #35511

looking for some lens advice..

trying to get into RE photography, I know a RE agent and she's offering to let me shoot for her (unpaid for now) for a couple of sessions and promising to spread the word once I'm comfortable. she was offering my services to other agents already actually but I asked her to stop lol. as I don't know what i'm doing since I've never really shot RE ..
she's seen my portraits and liked them and I guess just assumed a photographer is a photographer...

anway.

I thought the wider the better and was considering sony's 12-24, but as i'm researching i'm finding people saying its too wide and stretches things.

i'd love a 16-35 gm,, but i'm not tryin to spend so much,, I've had the zeis f4 before and as far as I remember it was a fine lens.

however , the tamron 17-28 is a few hundered dollars cheaper.

do you guys think 17mm is generally wide enough for Real estate?

any other thoughts and opinions on the matter would be appreciated.
thanks

My portraits IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,449 posts
Gallery: 648 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 10, 2019 18:30 |  #35512

rantercsr wrote in post #18973281 (external link)

trying to get into RE photography, I know a RE agent and she's offering to let me shoot for her (unpaid for now) for a couple of sessions and promising to spread the word once I'm comfortable. she was offering my services to other agents already actually but I asked her to stop lol. as I don't know what i'm doing since I've never really shot RE ..
she's seen my portraits and liked them and I guess just assumed a photographer is a photographer...

anway.

I thought the wider the better and was considering sony's 12-24, but as i'm researching i'm finding people saying its too wide and stretches things.

i'd love a 16-35 gm,, but i'm not tryin to spend so much,, I've had the zeis f4 before and as far as I remember it was a fine lens.

thanks

I’ve never done RE photography so take what I say with a grain of salt.

There’s always the Sony 16-35mm f/4 or even a MF option like the Loawa Zero distortion lenses?

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Website (external link) / flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
10,519 posts
Gallery: 1048 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 10, 2019 19:11 |  #35513

Liquid gold that I just found on my card...minimal processing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,787 posts
Gallery: 510 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by TRhoads.

Dec 10, 2019 19:49 |  #35514

anway.

thanks

Vinz was seeing un correctable distortion from the Tamron. I would go with the Sony, I have used it to do AirBnB and it did well.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,707 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by navydoc.

Dec 10, 2019 20:17 |  #35515

Once my a9 arrived, I inserted a battery in it to check the firmware version which showed v.5.01. So, I fully charged the camera's new battery and updated the firmware to v.6.0. Everything went smoothly.

Now to begin changing my settings, both to match as much as possible my r4 and to optimize AF to suit me. One feature my r4 has that I just realized the a9 doesn't (but the a9II does), is the ability to save memorized settings to the memory card. That would have allowed me to share the same settings on both cameras pretty easily. Now, I'll just go through everything manually to match as much as possible.

Here's how Mark Galler describes how to "Load Camera Settings". He offers his Sony a7r4 camera settings as a download so that others can save them to their cameras.

https://www.youtube.co​m …P-XhG-j8&feature=youtu.be (external link)

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,233 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 10, 2019 20:24 |  #35516

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49202077877_2b2652b9fa_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hXP​vzx  (external link) DSC09138 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,233 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 10, 2019 20:43 |  #35517

TRhoads wrote in post #18973331 (external link)
Binz was seeing un correctable distortion from the Tamron. I would go with the Sony, I have used it to do AirBnB and it did well.

Yes I had issues correcting the barrel distortion in the Tamron 17-28 too. Maybe one day a profile will come, but for now I can't correct it.

α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,084 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 10, 2019 20:46 |  #35518

anway.

thanks

Good call on practicing first and asking your friend to stop marketing you for now. first impressions last.

start with this...

https://www.amazon.com …n+cool%2Caps%2C​302&sr=8-2 (external link)

for the Tamron, it has a bad barrel distortion. no lens profile until now. i can't recommend it. get the Sigma FE 14-24mm F2.8, it's sharper edge to edge and already have a lens profile. there are times or situation where you need wider than 16. on small bathrooms on small houses.

there are also times when you need to fake a tilt shift. for that i shoot as wide and crop from the top.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
20,009 posts
Gallery: 1879 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 11, 2019 03:27 |  #35519

Gone for a few days and missed quite a lot! Gene, wow! You're in for a treat with the niner. My first suggestion is order
some Sugru for the back buttons. Here I've applied the Sugru to a silicon case which resides on the a9 but it works
fine just on the buttons-

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48879644258_b9f264ebe5.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2htj​Xid  (external link) a9 sugru (external link) by Stopitdown Stopitdown (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
20,009 posts
Gallery: 1879 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 11, 2019 03:28 |  #35520

Here's one posted to Flickr right before leaving for Conowingo and Fowler Beach. Lots of images to go through
but I bet an eagle will land here soon enough.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49172916477_418a5c15c2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hVf​3UM  (external link) Presenting to you, fish (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

5,145,031 views & 83,746 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.