Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 27 Dec 2019 (Friday) 09:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2 questions about mirrorless

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,744 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 30, 2019 19:05 |  #31

Wilt wrote in post #18983362 (external link)
Yes, assuming the Blue Angel flying 350mph or 513 ft/sec., that means from one frame to another is a mere 17.1 feet of travel of the airplane being seen in the opening of the bridge, 1/3 of the length of the plane. As captured in the linked photo, the Blue Angel fills 53% of the width of the opening at its level. LUCK captures it centered...LUCK!
Yes, keeping the jet centered in your FRAME might be fairly easy, but centering it in the opening of the GG Bridge is purely luck.

Nah, not luck :). You created your own luck here.

Kinsd regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, PhaseOne DF & P45+, SK 80 LS & 3 Mamiya primes, and an accessory plague

sponsored links
Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 373 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 6 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Dec 30, 2019 19:13 |  #32

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18983341 (external link)
That's crazy good! . Is that speed available when shooting RAW, at the camera's full resolution, or only when shooting jpeg, or a "dumbed down" pixel count?

I mean, it's impressive either way, but to shoot full resolution RAW images while AF tracking at that frame rate - that would be a real game changer, for a couple of different reasons.

RAW ( and JPEG if you like too ), you get 16Mp (1.25 crop in) down from 24 but still...
Blackout-free high-speed continuous shooting of 30 fps with AF/AE tracking...
The camera also has a sports finder mode when in the 1.25x crop as above that shows you the full display and there is an outline defining the 16Mp. So you can see outside the frame as it were. That's very handy for framing fast moving subjects

John Sheehy wrote in post #18983349 (external link)
How is that measured?

Using maths and science by people much smarter then me

Wilt wrote in post #18983362 (external link)
Yes, assuming the Blue Angel flying 350mph or 513 ft/sec., that means from one frame to another is a mere 17.1 feet of travel of the airplane being seen in the opening of the bridge, 1/3 of the length of the plane. As captured in the linked photo, the Blue Angel fills 53% of the width of the opening at its level. LUCK captures it centered...LUCK!
Yes, keeping the jet centered in your FRAME might be fairly easy, but centering it in the opening of the GG Bridge is purely luck.

Luck, skill, who's counting. I'm just surprised a baseball player can hit a ball with a bat. You know like in major league baseball where it takes less than 1/2 a second for that tiny ball to travel that distance, all curving and hitting a random spot somewhere near the batter and yet he still makes the hit. Luck, skill who's counting. ;-)a

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)YouTube (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,233 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by davesrose.

Dec 30, 2019 19:46 as a reply to  @ Two Hot Shoes's post |  #33

Why not both skill and luck? The more skill you have, the more knowledge you have of your camera's strengths and weaknesses, how to use it with given situations, and what possible post processing you may need. Things become intuitive and how to reduce luck. For this example of the GG bridge, I'm sure the photographer is skilled enough that while luck wasn't completely eliminated, he didn't have blind luck!

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
15,233 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 30, 2019 19:53 |  #34

wimg wrote in post #18983418 (external link)
You forgot to add the experience and knowledge of the photographer, and how well he knows his tools :).

No, Wim, I did not forget that at all.

In fact, I very purposefully avoided including that in my post because I wanted to limit the discussion to the two very opposite extremes that I introduced - one extreme so difficult that no human in the world could possibly do it, no matter how skilled, and the other so easy that anyone could do it, even an uncoordinated person while heavily impaired by substance abuse.

I wanted to ensure that the photographer's skill was eliminated as a variable, so as to single out the one variable we were discussing, that of the gear.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,146 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Dec 30, 2019 22:41 as a reply to  @ post 18983383 |  #35

Ha, ha! :lol: was the marshmallow travelling at a high speed, and were you trying to capture it centered on something? and was the marshmallow gun set on 'stun'?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,103 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 31, 2019 15:46 |  #36

MalVeauX wrote in post #18983271 (external link)

Shutter lag, EVF lag, etc, is nothing to even be concerned with unless you're using really ancient mirrorless equipment. Anything relatively recent is as good as an OVF. I have zero noticeable difference of lag of any sort between my 1D III and my Fuji X-T1, both from the view finders nor from the shutter experience..

This is 180 degree the opposite experience I had in Botswana in 2017, just completely opposite of my findings. The X-T1 was rendered useless due to lag and inability to see what was going on the in EVF. Again, two of us on that trip had the X-T1 and both of us essentially had to shelve the X-T1. Compared to 1D4/7D2/5D4 and in the other X-T1 owners case, Nikon D750(?), the XT1 was totally outclassed. I ended up lending the 1D4 to Dave so he could have a second body with a lens wider than his 200-500mm.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,726 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 31, 2019 19:27 |  #37

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18983890 (external link)
This is 180 degree the opposite experience I had in Botswana in 2017, just completely opposite of my findings. The X-T1 was rendered useless due to lag and inability to see what was going on the in EVF. Again, two of us on that trip had the X-T1 and both of us essentially had to shelve the X-T1. Compared to 1D4/7D2/5D4 and in the other X-T1 owners case, Nikon D750(?), the XT1 was totally outclassed. I ended up lending the 1D4 to Dave so he could have a second body with a lens wider than his 200-500mm.

The Fuji X-t2 was an improvement to the X-t1. However if you shoot a 1dmk4/7D2/5D4 the mirrored bodies still have "instant" response. The X-t2 feels laggy especially if low light comes into the equation.

The X-t3 was definitely a breathe of fresh air in performance.

When I compare my Sony A73 vs Canon 5dmk4 in low light situations when bouncing flash....The Canon combo will destroy the Sony A73 in AF accuracy and NO laggy actuation speeds during incredibly low light events. (worst situation: actors dressed up during a halloween event in pitch darkness hiding in the bushes) The Canon locks af to capture scared folks while I bounce flash. This is where no mirrorless can match a mirrored body.......YET anyways!

However, many cases with adequate to reasonable low light levels the mirrorless will work relatively well. Here's a photo where the light was very low but the A73 did not hunt. There was just enough light to prevent hunting. I actually increased the exposure to show detail. That night at the track was much darker than this image depicts.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links

1,762 views & 12 likes for this thread
2 questions about mirrorless
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.