Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Jan 2020 (Friday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AZ trip coming up - lens selection?

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by anothernewb.

Jan 03, 2020 11:32 |  #1

Business trip coming up in the first week of March. Have a week after that to spend in AZ. Planning a loop around phoenix from meteor crater, petrified forest, monument valley, then around the south end of the grand canyon to hoover dam, and back to phoenix.

Sadly- due to all the business crap I gotta take - my extra space will be limited, so I need to minimize my gear.
Here's my current lens list.

10-18 stm
15-85
55-250 stm
85 1.8
100-400 II

Originally thought the 10-18 was an absolute - but after reading a number of commentaries on how people were disappointed using ultra wides - I'm thinking it can stay behind.

I'm thinking I can get by with the 15-85 and the 100-400..

also wondering if I should bring my flash..

thoughts?

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
bseitz234
562 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 03, 2020 13:22 |  #2

What do you want to take pictures of?

For my Peru trip last year I was totally convinced I was going to bring my 100-400... ended up not being able to fit it in the backpack with everything else, and traded it out for the 55-250. While the 100-400 would have been better for bird photos, those weren't the main point of the trip, I was still able to get "good enough" photos to remember some of the cooler birds we saw, and the space savings were huge.

15-85 is a pretty good range for most things. If you want to capture more of a scene than 15mm will fit in, you can (almost always) shoot a pano and stitch later. Doesn't work well for the ultrawide perspective, but does work will for broad landscapes. Depending on your reason for thinking you wanted the 10-18, this will either be points in favor of bringing it (if you want that foreground exaggeration) or leaving it (if you just want to fit the whole scene).

The 85, to me, is primarily a portrait lens. Hardly ever comes on big trips, because I want to include more background in any portraits, since the point is usually to capture the memory of being there. Ditto the flash- unless you plan on taking a lot of outdoor portraits and kicking in some fill, I don't really see the point.

So that just leaves the 55-250 vs 100-400. I have a bit of a soft spot for the 55-250, but there's no doubt the 100-400 is superior in a lot of ways. It just boils down to whether that superiority is worth the extra size and weight... and without knowing anything about what photos you want to take, we can't help you there.

-Brian
5 EOS bodies, and constantly growing lens selection.
IG @bseitz234

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 03, 2020 14:36 as a reply to  @ bseitz234's post |  #3

I suppose a little more info would have been useful. I'm primarily aiming at the landscapes but giving myself the most available range for anything else that might be interesting. The trip is going to be mostly from the common road stops, with a little time set aside for some walking/short hikes. Simply won't have the time to really go on the really fun hikes to the out of the way gems. But we have planned for full days, staying overnight at monument valley and the grand canyon. with time enough to take at least one of the bus tours and the off road tours available at each site.

It's a tough call for me on the 100-400 vs the 55-250. I've been blessed with a really sharp copy. and it is a ton lighter. I will have the room to bring the 100-400 and the 15-85. as I still have enough room to throw my other electronic business gear in the camera bag. I Might be able to get the 55-250 in there as well. but after considering the rest of the junk I gotta cart around. it'll really be down to either a third lens or the flash. and I want to actually spend some of the time enjoying the scenery with my eyes- not constantly switching lenses!

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,716 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 03, 2020 15:20 |  #4

anothernewb wrote in post #18985597 (external link)
I suppose a little more info would have been useful. I'm primarily aiming at the landscapes but giving myself the most available range for anything else that might be interesting. The trip is going to be mostly from the common road stops, with a little time set aside for some walking/short hikes. Simply won't have the time to really go on the really fun hikes to the out of the way gems. But we have planned for full days, staying overnight at monument valley and the grand canyon. with time enough to take at least one of the bus tours and the off road tours available at each site.

It's a tough call for me on the 100-400 vs the 55-250. I've been blessed with a really sharp copy. and it is a ton lighter. I will have the room to bring the 100-400 and the 15-85. as I still have enough room to throw my other electronic business gear in the camera bag. I Might be able to get the 55-250 in there as well. but after considering the rest of the junk I gotta cart around. it'll really be down to either a third lens or the flash. and I want to actually spend some of the time enjoying the scenery with my eyes- not constantly switching lenses!

With the crop body, just go with the 15-85 and the 55-250. People seem to think the area is full of wildlife demanding long lenses and that is not the case IMO. We have done the Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon trip twice, each over about 10 days and I have very few wildlife images. Plenty of landscapes!

I have also done Hoover Dam, again multiple instances and again not an extreme abundance of wildlife. I have also in my younger days done two whitewater trips down the Colorado. Wildlife, needing a long lens, was typically some form of goat at a 1/4 mile.

duckster
Goldmember
1,746 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Joined May 2017

Jan 03, 2020 15:22 |  #5

If a bunch of wildlife is not on the docket and you have a good copy of the 55-250, that would be what I would consider bringing. The 100-400 is a great lens but it is not small or light.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,272 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Scott M.

Jan 03, 2020 21:23 |  #6

I would bring the 10-18mm and 15-85mm, and then if you still had room add the 55-250mm. I have the EOS M50 for lightweight travel, and the EF-M 11-22, 15-45 and 55-200 make a great travel kit (I also bring along the EF-M 22 f/2 pancake). If I had to give one up one on a trip where I wasn't planning on shooting much, if any, wildlife, I would leave the telephoto at home.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,955 posts
Gallery: 2060 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 03, 2020 21:25 |  #7

10-18 & 15-85 and no flash.

Image early at sunrise or late at sunset, never between.

Enjoy!

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Spencerphoto
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Joined Sep 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by Spencerphoto.

Jan 03, 2020 22:07 |  #8
bannedPermanently

Often overlooked in these threads is the versatility of the 100-400 MKII. Its image quality, toughness and range are pretty well-accepted, but the thing that almost turns this amazing lens into a walkaround lens is its amazing minimum focus distance. It gives the lens almost macro capabilities and opens up a whole new world when out in the wild - tiny critters, flowers, details on rock faces ... You look at your surroundings in a totally different way when shooting macro.

I don't think there's another lens like it, where you can go from shooting a distant bird, to grabbing a close-up shot of a dragonfly - in two seconds.

I would also take the 15-85 simply because it's another versatile lens, with a very useful range. I couldn't imagine travelling without a wide zoom.

With just two lenses, you're shooting all the way from 15 to 400mm (24 - 640) with only a small gap.

Unless you have a specific use in mind, I wouldn't bother taking an external flash. Personally, I would much rather pop the camera on a stable surface and shoot with a slow shutter than replace the ambient (natural) light with a white blitz and unnatural shadows. I've never used the 80D but I'm guessing the built-in unit is good enough for fill, if the subject is nearby?

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,272 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 04, 2020 06:16 |  #9

I agree with the others about the external flash. When traveling, I rarely bring one along. When I do, I have a smaller Speedlite 270EX II for that purpose instead of packing the larger 430EX II.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,716 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 04, 2020 08:48 |  #10

By the way, review the thread at https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1490​736&page=1 for good info relative to the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

Unless you have specific reasons to linger in Phoenix, minimize your time there and get on the road to the rest of your destinations. The city is a traffic nightmare and IMO has little to offer. Keep “traffic nightmare” in mind as you schedule flights, etc.

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 04, 2020 19:42 |  #11

John from PA wrote in post #18985972 (external link)
By the way, review the thread at https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1490​736&page=1 for good info relative to the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

Unless you have specific reasons to linger in Phoenix, minimize your time there and get on the road to the rest of your destinations. The city is a traffic nightmare and IMO has little to offer. Keep “traffic nightmare” in mind as you schedule flights, etc.

I only have to be in phoenix for the duration of the conference. My wife flies in that Friday - and I have a hotel in flagstaff set up for that night, and right in monument valley the next. from there we have a full week to work our way west, saving only the drive time from wherever we end up that next saturday to make it back in time for the flight out.

if anyone has anything on places to check out. any info is appreciated. I was unable to win a lottery for the wave - but there are lots of other neat things out there that are close I bet. I'm a bit of a rockhound as well.

I'm really hoping I can get away with putting all my materials needed to a surface pro or an ipad. If I can pull that off. I can use my camera bag to it's full potential. Then I should actually have room for the 10-18 and the 55-250. but I still might not - Don't want to spend my whole trip changing lenses either.

Mike ­ B ­ in ­ OK
38 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2019

Jan 04, 2020 20:07 |  #12

If I was going to shoot landscapes, was capacity-constrained, and could pick two lenses from your list, I’d choose the 15-85 and 55-250. I have no experience with the 15-85, but got great use out of the original version of the 55-250 years ago. If I had used the 10-18 for landscapes successfully and felt comfortable that I could use it, I’d bring the10-18 instead of the 15-85, but repeatedly getting successful landscapes with a really wide angle lens is hard! And that option might leave you short if you’re expected to take traditional scrapbook family travel photos. FYI, my favorite landscape lens is the 70-200 on full frame. Picking out and isolating a nice detail is much easier than making a good photo with a lot of stuff jammed in. Your 55-250 should have similar capabilities with an even better ability to isolate.

The standard tourist bus tours usually won’t have you in an area when the best light for landscapes is available.

cristphoto
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 27, 2020 22:05 |  #13

If you're going to the Grand Canyon you will need the widest you can get. When I went I had the Canon 17-40 and could have used more. I soon after got the 16-35. One MM does make a difference.

5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 24-105LIS II, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

Trey ­ T
997 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 28, 2020 09:27 |  #14

In terms of personal value, and human are the subjects (i.e. you and your wife), a 15-85 should be your priority.

BTW, I use 18-35 sigma on 7Dii for portrait and landscape.

sponsored links

1,131 views & 0 likes for this thread
AZ trip coming up - lens selection?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.