Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Feb 2018 (Monday) 00:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS M50

jamganz
Goldmember
3,326 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 04, 2020 08:31 |  #601

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49327843922_74be5bc767_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2i9W​6rC  (external link) Montauk Point Lighthouse (external link) by jamganz (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
khwaja
949 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 04, 2020 12:11 |  #602

Any one upgraded from M50 to RP or using both? Is RP going to be big improvement over M50 in terms of AF speed, high iso and 1080p/4k video quality? Is RP going to be as big and heavy as 6D2? I have 6d2 and got M50 refurb on sale with a big discount. Wondering if it is a good idea to move to M50 or just wait for discount on RP? Other option is to keep both. But it is a overkill for my light use.

Canon 6D Mark 2, 50mm STM

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,151 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Joined May 2002

Jan 04, 2020 12:18 |  #603

khwaja wrote in post #18986073 (external link)
Any one upgraded from M50 to RP or using both? Is RP going to be big improvement over M50 in terms of AF speed, high iso and 1080p/4k video quality? Is RP going to be as big and heavy as 6D2? I have 6d2 and got M50 refurb on sale with a big discount. Wondering if it is a good idea to move to M50 or just wait for discount on RP? Other option is to keep both. But it is a overkill for my light use.

The RP is basically a FF M50. I bought an R at Christmas for $1200, it was a great holiday Desk and is a better value than the RP. The R is a bit on the larger side though.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

khwaja
949 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 04, 2020 14:20 |  #604

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18986079 (external link)
The RP is basically a FF M50. I bought an R at Christmas for $1200, it was a great holiday Desk and is a better value than the RP. The R is a bit on the larger side though.

I hesitated to pull the trigger when it was at this price. Now, price is back up to holiday season sale. i am also little concerned about size and weight. It felt like pretty close to 6d2 with adapter. I need to check them in some store. Not sure which B&M store carries them in display.

jamganz
Goldmember
3,326 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 04, 2020 21:52 |  #605

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18986079 (external link)

I jumped on this same deal for the R with a buy now and think later attitude. I find the size and weight similar to my 6d. While I am slightly disappointed with this aspect (weight/size) of the R, compared to the M50, I am extremely happy with the results of the R so far. So much so that I am probably ditching the M50 and probably my 6d as well. That deal for $1200 was too good to pass up for me.

Ravi09
205 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 06, 2020 17:44 |  #606

With the 15-45mm kit lens. This lens is so underrated but stop down and you will get excellent image with the M50.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

rh18
223 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by rh18.

Jan 06, 2020 20:38 |  #607

My first attempt at shooting the Milky Way. The photos are from back over the summer but they got lost in the shuffle and I just got around to editing them. We were at the beach, so there's light pollution. But even though these are nothing special, I'm really surprised how well the M50 + 15-45mm kit lens did. The second one is at higher ISO (trying different things) so it suffers from more light pollution.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear and Feedback | flickr (external link)

khwaja
949 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 06, 2020 21:15 |  #608

jamganz wrote in post #18986353 (external link)
I jumped on this same deal for the R with a buy now and think later attitude. I find the size and weight similar to my 6d. While I am slightly disappointed with this aspect (weight/size) of the R, compared to the M50, I am extremely happy with the results of the R so far. So much so that I am probably ditching the M50 and probably my 6d as well. That deal for $1200 was too good to pass up for me.

Today I played with RP, M50 and R. M50 is smaller than even SL2. It has that taking pics with phone kind of enjoyment.

RP is way bigger than M50. But it felt fine for me except shape. It is like a L bar. Is there any view finder differences between these two. RP view finder is bigger and nice. M50 view finder is smaller and it has little bit of tunnel like feel.

jamganz
Goldmember
3,326 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 06, 2020 21:49 |  #609

khwaja wrote in post #18987495 (external link)
Today I played with RP, M50 and R. M50 is smaller than even SL2. It has that taking pics with phone kind of enjoyment.

RP is way bigger than M50. But it felt fine for me except shape. It is like a L bar. Is there any view finder differences between these two. RP view finder is bigger and nice. M50 view finder is smaller and it has little bit of tunnel like feel.

I handled the R, RP and M50 in store right before I ordered the R from Canon. I don't recall a difference in the view finders between the R and RP. I do know that the shooting info rotates to bottom of the screen as you change from landscape to portrait. Not sure if the RP does that?
I have owned the M50 for the past year and while the weight/size is a benefit, this camera has never felt right in my hands. I picked up the R and while I was initially disappointed in the size and weight, this thing feels great in my hands.

khwaja
949 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 06, 2020 23:14 |  #610

jamganz wrote in post #18987508 (external link)
I handled the R, RP and M50 in store right before I ordered the R from Canon. I don't recall a difference in the view finders between the R and RP. I do know that the shooting info rotates to bottom of the screen as you change from landscape to portrait. Not sure if the RP does that?
I have owned the M50 for the past year and while the weight/size is a benefit, this camera has never felt right in my hands. I picked up the R and while I was initially disappointed in the size and weight, this thing feels great in my hands.

I was checking M50 VF and comparing it with RP. RP has bigger and better VF than M50. I think resolution is the same. I checked R as well. It is almost as big as 6D2. 6d felt better in my hand than R. RP is fine. It is little bit like Rebel with sharp edges (L shape).

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Scott M.

Jan 07, 2020 07:58 |  #611

khwaja wrote in post #18986073 (external link)

Similar to Teamspead, I bought an EOS R during the holiday sales. In my case, it's an upgrade to my 7 year old 5D3. The R was a better deal than the RP, IMO, as you get more camera for the money (better sensor, better EVF, better batteries, etc.). Comparing the R (or RP) to the M50 seems like a fruitless task, though. They are very different cameras built for different situations.

For me, the M50 is really more of a supplemental system to the larger bodies and lenses. It's a terrific camera when you want to travel light. That means also investing in EF-M lenses, as it really defeats the purpose of this body to attach larger EF lenses with the adapter. I do own the adapter, as I got one cheap (about $50). However, it rarely gets used. I certainly wouldn't sell my EOS R, 5D3 and 7D2 to move to the M50 exclusively -- I plan on selling the 5D3, but only because the R will replace everything I use the 5D3 for.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,151 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Joined May 2002

Jan 07, 2020 08:00 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #612

Exactly my thoughts too. The M50 is for family trips, and I even like the speedbooster with it, and would take one or two of the EF lenses with me, but the overall kit size is very nice for those vacations vs the big gear.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

crofter
393 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 07, 2020 09:41 |  #613

It's a do it all camera for me,travel light with the M lenses,I have a smallrig cage I use with it for video with various bits and bobs I can attach to that,this also gives a larger grip to the camera and it also doesn't look small when I use the M50 with my 100-400 for walkabout birding lens. All in all a very versatile little camera.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 07, 2020 09:59 |  #614

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18987675 (external link)
Exactly my thoughts too. The M50 is for family trips, and I even like the speedbooster with it, and would take one or two of the EF lenses with me, but the overall kit size is very nice for those vacations vs the big gear.

How much of an IQ and AF speed hit do things take with the speed booster?

R6 | M50 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Σ18-35 | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 85 1.8 | 55-250is STM | 16-35is L | RF 24-105is L | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 1.4X III | 2X III | 430ex |

khwaja
949 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 07, 2020 10:31 |  #615

Scott M wrote in post #18987674 (external link)
Similar to Teamspead, I bought an EOS R during the holiday sales. In my case, it's an upgrade to my 7 year old 5D3. The R was a better deal than the RP, IMO, as you get more camera for the money (better sensor, better EVF, better batteries, etc.). Comparing the R (or RP) to the M50 seems like a fruitless task, though. They are very different cameras built for different situations.

For me, the M50 is really more of a supplemental system to the larger bodies and lenses. It's a terrific camera when you want to travel light. That means also investing in EF-M lenses, as it really defeats the purpose of this body to attach larger EF lenses with the adapter. I do own the adapter, as I got one cheap (about $50). However, it rarely gets used. I certainly wouldn't sell my EOS R, 5D3 and 7D2 to move to the M50 exclusively -- I plan on selling the 5D3, but only because the R will replace everything I use the 5D3 for.

I just use camera to take family pics. Trying to avoid 2 camera set up. 6D2 works fine some times but too big for travel.

sponsored links

188,195 views & 1,001 likes for this thread
Canon EOS M50
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.