Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 01 Jan 2020 (Wednesday) 01:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digital Speed Challenge #589 - Primary Colors

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 05, 2020 11:41 |  #16

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,042 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 05, 2020 12:07 |  #17

Jason C wrote in post #18984107 (external link)
CHALLENGE RULES:

7. Commenting: Please, NO COMMENTING DURING CHALLENGE. Feel free to comment in this thread after a winner is declared.

9. Have questions? PM me.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,556 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 05, 2020 12:31 |  #18

All wrapped...

HOSTED PHOTO

My flickr (external link)

roses75
838 posts
Gallery: 182 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 06, 2020 14:13 |  #19

Summer Fun

HOSTED PHOTO

Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,837 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 07, 2020 18:06 |  #20

Competition is closed. Winner to be selected shortly.

jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,837 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 07, 2020 18:44 |  #21

Thank you all for submitting your entries.

Tom -- Palouse Country. I like the simplicity, framing and utilization of red, blue and green. Well done.

Ed -- La Boca. Snazzy with bold colors, with challenge colors represented. Nice comp.

Renata -- Macro abstract. Futuristic and funky, and I like the framing and colors.

Lesley -- I wet My Plants. Humorous with bright colors and nicely framed. Too bad they're closed.

RPCrowe -- Shanghai. Red dominates with splashes of blue and green. Bold color, nice comp.

texkam -- If you're not outraged... Bold bright colors, with red blue and a hint of green. Nice comp.

Don -- Balloons. Simple and effective. Red, blue and green all present. Well done.

anothernewb -- Presents. All required colors present, with holiday spirit to boot.

Levina -- All wrapped. Nice, straight forward composition in a nice rule-of-thirds frame. All colors present, nicely done.

Roses75-- Summer Fun. Red, blue and green are all represented. I think more of the canoes reflections would have made this comp stand out more. Also, I'd like to know what camera was used for this shot.

Runner up : Don - Balloons...The simplicity really works well for me with this submission.

Winner : Tom - Palouse Country...Challenge colors are well represented here with good framing and simplicity; the entire frame works for me.

Once again, thank you all for participating in Digital Speed Challenge #589.

jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

just ­ whistle
I just happened upon this thread
844 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 07, 2020 19:25 as a reply to  @ Jason C's post |  #22

Jason, you picked my top 2 also. Once I saw Tom’s I knew I was safe, lol. Don, I really like the vibrant colors and focus. And with regard to my shot, everyone needs a day off after wetting their plants? Lol. Thank you for hosting the challenge this week. The debate was interesting....;-)a

Congrats to Tom and Don. Such great shots! :love:

Lesley

dilorenzo1954
Cream of the Crop
5,772 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2020 23:05 |  #23

Great challenge Jason, with great entries!
Congrats to Tom & Don :-D

Ed

“A photograph is usually looked at- seldom looked into.” ~Ansel Adams

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,042 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Jan 08, 2020 00:38 |  #24

Thanks, Jason! . I enjoyed your challenge.

The different take on what the primary colors are provided me an opportunity to do some Googling and read about the different types of primary colors. . I must admit, I had always thought of the primary colors as being blue, red, and yellow. . But when I looked into it I found that there is more to it than that. . This excerpt from one webpage sums it up rather well:

Go ahead and ask Google — the knower of all things — to name the primary colors. You'll get a straightforward answer that likely aligns with everything you learned as an elementary school coloring book expert. The primary colors are red, yellow and blue.

But as with most seemingly simple concepts, the answer is actually a whole lot more complex. And while Google isn't exactly lying to you, it doesn't exactly tell the whole story, either.

taken from: . https://science.howstu​ffworks.com/primary-colors.htm (external link)

Because of your challenge, I learned something that I hadn't known before. . But I should have known it.

As photographers, we are all about the light. . What we photograph is actually reflected light. . Light is our medium. . Light, not pigments. . So, as photographers, we should understand the color wheel of the medium that we use when practicing our craft.

As for those challenging your primary colors, I was shocked to see comments during the challenge. . The rules have always been very adamant that no commenting is to be done for any reason whatsoever during these challenges, and that any questions should be expressed in the form of a PM to the host. . So for folks to discuss the primary colors in posts, while the challenge was still active ..... it was very disappointing to see that some people did not obey the rules.

Well, it looks like the onus is now on me to create the next challenge. . I'll get that done shortly; hopefully by tomorrow morning.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,975 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 08, 2020 00:59 |  #25

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18988179 (external link)
Thanks, Jason! . I enjoyed your challenge.

The different take on what the primary colors are provided me an opportunity to do some Googling and read about the different types of primary colors. . I must admit, I had always thought of the primary colors as being blue, red, and yellow. . But when I looked into it I found that there is more to it than that. . This excerpt from one webpage sums it up rather well:

Go ahead and ask Google — the knower of all things — to name the primary colors. You'll get a straightforward answer that likely aligns with everything you learned as an elementary school coloring book expert. The primary colors are red, yellow and blue.

But as with most seemingly simple concepts, the answer is actually a whole lot more complex. And while Google isn't exactly lying to you, it doesn't exactly tell the whole story, either.

taken from: . https://science.howstu​ffworks.com/primary-colors.htm (external link)

Because of your challenge, I learned something that I hadn't known before. . But I should have known it.

As photographers, we are all about the light. . What we photograph is actually reflected light. . Light is our medium. . Light, not pigments. . So, as photographers, we should understand the color wheel of the medium that we use when practicing our craft.

As for those challenging your primary colors, I was shocked to see comments during the challenge. . The rules have always been very adamant that no commenting is to be done for any reason whatsoever during these challenges, and that any questions should be expressed in the form of a PM to the host. . So for folks to discuss the primary colors in posts, while the challenge was still active ..... it was very disappointing to see that some people did not obey the rules.

Well, it looks like the onus is now on me to create the next challenge. . I'll get that done shortly; hopefully by tomorrow morning.

early on in my "Digital Speed Challenge" career, i was excoriated for hitting the like button on ONE image. i kept my mouth closed and stayed away from this challenge...

-im just trying. sometimes i succeed

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,042 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 08, 2020 01:15 |  #26

Ltdave wrote in post #18988184 (external link)
Early on in my "Digital Speed Challenge" career, I was excoriated for hitting the like button on ONE image. I kept my mouth closed and stayed away from this challenge.

There currently is no rule that says one cannot "LIKE" images until the challenge is over. . Whoever excoriated you was wrong to do so, if the rules were the same then as they are now. . I am sorry that that happened to you.

There are other challenges here on POTN that do have rules that prohibit the use of the LIKE feature until the challenge is over. . I am glad that these Digital Speed Challenges have no such rule. . Some entries amassing LIKES, while others do not, would NOT have any effect on what selection the challenge host makes concerning the winner, even though some people mistakenly think that some challenge hosts might be influenced by such things.

As with anything in life, I would just suggest that all people read the rules carefully in order to see exactly what is allowed and what is disallowed.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,005 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 08, 2020 01:56 |  #27

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18988179 (external link)
As for those challenging your primary colors, I was shocked to see comments during the challenge. . The rules have always been very adamant that no commenting is to be done for any reason whatsoever during these challenges, and that any questions should be expressed in the form of a PM to the host.

Sometimes a comment is made publicly without causing shock. A member will ask for clarification of the topic–does the host intend to allow X?–or note that the challenge has closed too early. Comments of those kinds are of practical interest to other members; that may be why people post them. I haven't seen anyone censured for making them.

I commented because the RYB triad of primaries is traditional, intuitive, and at least not incorrect, and dismissiveness bothers me.

Jason C wrote in post #18984107 (external link)
Theme: Primary Colors. Mission: Your submission must include all 3 Primary Colors; Red, Blue and Green.

Compare:

• "I went to the national parks last year, Yosemite and Yellowstone."
  • "What do you mean, the national parks? That's only two of many. What about Zion?"
  • "To repeat, I went to the national parks, Yosemite and Yellowstone."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,005 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by OhLook.

Jan 08, 2020 02:03 |  #28

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18988192 (external link)
There are other challenges here on POTN that do have rules that prohibit the use of the LIKE feature until the challenge is over. . I am glad that these Digital Speed Challenges have no such rule. . Some entries amassing LIKES, while others do not, would NOT have any effect on what selection the challenge host makes concerning the winner, even though some people mistakenly think that some challenge hosts might be influenced by such things.

How do you know that Likes would have no such effect on hosts or, when winners are chosen by voting, on voters? Without evidence, it's just some people's belief versus other people's.

The challenge for fixed-lens cameras includes a request to hold your Likes until winners are announced. Noncompliance is frequent, even when the request is emphasized.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

OldCrow
Goldmember
4,639 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Mar 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by OldCrow.

Jan 08, 2020 07:09 |  #29

Congratulations Tom, a well deserved win.

Thanks for the Runner Up nod Jason.

Great submissions everyone.

Don
---------------
Canon SX50; Pentax K-5, K30, K100D; Fuji S2950

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,556 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 08, 2020 08:21 |  #30

Congratulations on the win, Tom. A lovely image.

Congrats to Don as well.
And to the other participants for submitting really nice pics.

As to not chatting, yes, them's the rules. But it happens sometimes. This time for reasons well discussed. Don't make a big deal out of that. Lighten up. This is not a major competition that'll make or break a career. It's a friendly competition on our favourite forum and it's just for fun. So... :love:

My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,059 views & 62 likes for this thread
Digital Speed Challenge #589 - Primary Colors
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.