Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jan 2020 (Thursday) 00:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon to cease EF Lens development indefinitely?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,907 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 09, 2020 00:31 |  #1

Well now.
"Unless photographers demand otherwise" ???

https://petapixel.com …hotographers-demand-more/ (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,984 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 09, 2020 01:37 |  #2

Makes perfect economic sense to me... why would you put R&D funding into an ever-shrinking market?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tronhard. (3 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2020 02:55 |  #3

Considering Canon has arguably the widest range of glass on the market, I think it will be a while before we feel the crunch. It makes total sense for them to concentrate on expanding their RF offerings to make the new line of bodies they are developing as marketable as possible. The fact that they are not DEVELOPING new lenses does not mean that they will cease production of their current lines.

People often question whether to go for R series bodies. For myself, having invested almost $60k on DSLRs, EF and EF-S lenses, it is not cost effective at my age to start buying RF lenses and R series bodies. My current gear is still perfectly functional.

If I was young and starting out it would be a different matter though. FF mirrorless is the future, at least in Canon's opinion and that is where the mass of their effort will head. That is why we saw the EOS 90D take over the territory of the 7D series, and is likely to be the last of the line - there can be no 100D as that model ID is taken already.

The EOS 1DX MKIII, just released, makes sense because it caters for pro sports photographers who want the best from their current glass, but need enhance connectivity to relay images to publishers in real time, and fast-shooting performance. They are using EF lenses, big white ones and they are unlikely to switch to MILCs as they stand right now. As has been noted, it is perhaps the harbinger of a MILC version to come.

Much the same has been said about the new Nikon D780 from what I have read...

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,152 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 09, 2020 06:33 |  #4

Well, there goes any hope of seeing a Canon 500 DO, 500 f5.6, or updated 400 f5 .6
At least in EF mount.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2020 07:02 |  #5

The point being made, as many may not be aware of the history of this, is that Canon stated in interviews last year that the EF line was robust and they were concentrating on RF lenses in 2019, but they weren't ditching EF lens development. Now, they have officially backtracked this statement just recently, or at least are extending that view through 2020.

Here is the missing piece of the puzzle many of you may have never seen a year ago. As you can see, the latest statement is seemingly in conflict with last year's statement, or again as I stated, pushes this out yet another year.

“Next year we will focus on EF lenses,” Burnhill says. “We will take a break — there will be no EF lenses next year. We’ll focus on RF. We know we have to catch up, so we have to move the production from that to RF so we can try to produce more lenses to catch up with our competitors.

“The lens manufacturing can only produce X amount of lenses. We can either produce 5 here 3 there, or we can produce 10 of these. And we realized we’re behind here.”

Burnhill does note that Canon isn’t abandoning its EF lenses, but is instead just ignoring it for a year to focus entirely on mirrorless. There’s still an internal lens roadmap for upcoming EF lenses that will be announced after 2019.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,152 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 09, 2020 09:20 |  #6

Not only will EF lens development cease, but as RF development and production ramps up, the production of current EF lenses will decrease.
As was said, manufacturing can only produce X number of lenses. Perhaps in the next 2 or 3 years some EF lenses (new) will be out of stock
and hard to find. Just speculation on my part.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

Canonuser123
931 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 09, 2020 09:25 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #7

I would have also liked an updated 300 f4 that worked well with a TC, in my opinion Canon screwed up with the M mount and now they have 3 different mounts.

If you want a crop body mirrorless you can’t use the new RF mount lenses, EF mount lacks the affordable DO lenses that Nikon has in the 300 and 500 PF. If canon makes cheaper and lighter DO lenses to compete with the Nikon PF lenses in RF mount great but my Canon DSLRs can’t use them and neither can the M body models. Nikon at least had enough sense to use the same mount on their crop body Z50 as they did on the full frame bodied Z6 and Z7.

roanjohn
Goldmember
3,805 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jan 09, 2020 09:53 |  #8

Introducing the RF to EF adapter in 3, 2, 1........

Canonuser123
931 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 09, 2020 10:29 |  #9

roanjohn wrote in post #18988970 (external link)
Introducing the RF to EF adapter in 3, 2, 1........

Yeah, not going to happen, it would require glass elements to make it work and ruin any possible advantage.
The RF mount flange distance is shorter than EF mount, mount adapters to put an EF mount lens on an RF mount body are easy as they are mostly a spacer to move the EF lens out farther to get the proper Flange distance.

Nalauk
96 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Nalauk. (2 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2020 15:45 |  #10

I think I guessed that the updates that were going on in the last 2 or so years (the big whites the 70-200 2.8L, and the 24-105 f4L + a few others) were designed to make them last for the next 8 maybe 10 years without any need to revisit them, and Canon would be able to gauge the market and exactly where it was going by then (certainly by 2023-24).

It looks like they may have had an earlier answer and EF is pretty much end of line barring the odd update. A bold and very difficult business move that will enable them to continue with the best platform - they've done it before with FD to EF, but this does at least have an adapter to use on RF.

The 1DX MkIII is the last pro camera and that is meant for 3 maybe 4 years tops and most of the Press/PR pros will change kit in that time as it wears out etc. The industrial/advertising pros are a different breed and tend to be tightwads, but they will probably need to change by 2030. Of course the gearheads will want to change like the wind and buy/sell every 18 months, but they are just the mugs that all manufacturers want!!

:)

EDIT:

As an extra to confirm what I'm trying to say is that EF will stay in production till 2025 possibly out to 2028 ( although not every lens ) and of course they will continue to be serviced for 7 years after end of production, so 2032 maybe to 2035.

I'm seriously doubting there would be any EF lenses still being made by 2030.

Also there may well be a semi-pro 5D mkV that will come out later 2020 and go till 2023-24 and maybe a lower end model. But that's it for EF mount, probably 2020 new and end 2023-24 production for cameras and end of EF in 2026 ( sticking my neck out ) for lens production!

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,844 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2020 16:58 |  #11

Hate to say I told ya so but yeah

I also think the RF 500's and RF 300 F/2.8's are going to be insane in prices....and this tells me current super teles will hold prices well

Lets be frank

Most people that use super teles are not making a lot of $$$ to justify buying them

A current 500 F/4 is much more appealing to me than an RF 500 F/4 because the gear heads will dump them for a price point I might be able to justify buying

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

RodS57
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 09, 2020 21:20 as a reply to  @ Tronhard's post |  #12

And I quote

"....it is not cost effective at my age to start buying RF lenses and R series bodies. My current gear is still perfectly functional."

That is a perfect description of my situation. My piggy bank has enough cash to do what I have to do to upgrade my 7D2 but that might be my last kick at the can.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,388 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2020 22:25 |  #13

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18988953 (external link)
Not only will EF lens development cease, but as RF development and production ramps up, the production of current EF lenses will decrease.
As was said, manufacturing can only produce X number of lenses. Perhaps in the next 2 or 3 years some EF lenses (new) will be out of stock
and hard to find. Just speculation on my part.

With the introduction of the 1DX3, Canon is clearly indicating that they're not imminently dropping the EF system. I've read that while overall unit sales have been continuing to decline with DSLRs, revenue has slightly increased with higher end models. I think it just validates that more and more consumers are just using phone cameras, and pros still spend more money for their tools. Canon will still have to cater to the market they're still appealing to: There is no RF or even Sony A9 equivalent with what features the 1DX3 offers, and Canon will still have to keep a lens line-up for that market. Now if the "consumer" lines decline enough, Canon may phase out some of the entry EF lenses as well. I'm not sure when that thresh-hold is, as I still meet people with a passing interest in photography and buy a kit Rebel.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,924 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Jan 09, 2020 22:27 |  #14

umphotography wrote in post #18989172 (external link)
A current 500 F/4 is much more appealing to me than an RF 500 F/4 because the gear heads will dump them for a price point I might be able to justify buying

I fully agree with you, but .....

You have said before that the new RF lenses are SO MUCH better than their EF equivalents. . Do you believe this will be the case when they come out with RF supertelephotos like a 500 f4, 600 f4, and 800 f5.6? . Or do you think that there won't be quite the same massive improvements over the current EF versions that there are with the shorter, more conventional lenses?

I mean, it seems odd that you would go on so much about how much better the RF lenses are, but then say you have no interest in RF when it comes to supertelephoto lenses.

I do not mean to challenge or contest your thoughts, but I do seek to have a more full understanding about what your thoughts are concerning these differences, and to see how each thing you say is consistent with each of the other things you have said.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 09, 2020 22:48 |  #15

Sort of figured that would happen when last year they announced that they were concentrating on RF lenses. Also, when you look at CIPA data, the interchangeable lens market is shrinking fast through mirrorless is holding it's own. So if mirrorless is not shrinking but the entire market is, that must mean that it's the EF/EF-S cameras taking the hit. Now I'm kind of wondering if the new 1DX3 is the last of the EF/EF-S cameras.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

4,292 views & 44 likes for this thread
Canon to cease EF Lens development indefinitely?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.