Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 02 Sep 2016 (Friday) 19:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How About Castles - Anyone Got Any Castle Shots?

Jonzjob
268 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Location: Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire, Blighty

Jan 13, 2020 09:13 |  #391

Two Chateaux de Cathar

Lastours and the 4 chateaux just north of Carcassonne

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

And Queribus gurding the old Franco/Spanish border south of Carcassonne in the Corbières hills

HOSTED PHOTO

Their history is unbelievably bloody!

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
https://johnamandiers.​wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1 (external link)
John.

sponsored links
Jonzjob
268 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 13, 2020 17:15 |  #392

Cheating slightly, but this is a shot, from our village, of Carcassonne about 10km from our village with the Pyrenees about 50 miles in the background

HOSTED PHOTO

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
John.

Jonzjob
268 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 13, 2020 17:24 |  #393

These 2 show the fortifications of La Cité. First Porte de Narbonne, the main entry. It's the only time in the 13 years we were there I ever saw it empty of people

HOSTED PHOTO

Just inside Porte de Narbonne and the double fortification shows there is no cover if the outer wall is taken. It just becomes a killing ground.

HOSTED PHOTO

The outer wall is about 2km long and there are some 52 towers in the 2 walls.

John.

Spencerphoto
873 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Jan 13, 2020 17:39 |  #394

I wonder why they made the fighting platform on the outer wall so narrow? It's not that unusual, but I always wonder why.

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
2,711 posts
Gallery: 875 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 14, 2020 01:38 |  #395

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18991511 (external link)
I wonder why they made the fighting platform on the outer wall so narrow? It's not that unusual, but I always wonder why.

Interesting, I suppose the fighting wall is not a battlefield and I also suppose the building blocks cost a few quid even in those days. I often 'mind bogglingly' wonder about the costs of materials, transportation and labour involved in these old masterpieces of construction, wherever they are. We gotta be talking mega bucks in the currency of the day. Who supplied those mega bucks?-?

Ray-P

Spencerphoto
873 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Sep 2018
Post edited 4 days ago by Spencerphoto. (4 edits in all)

Jan 14, 2020 02:21 |  #396

Ray.Petri wrote in post #18991707 (external link)
Interesting, I suppose the fighting wall is not a battlefield and I also suppose the building blocks cost a few quid even in those days ...

That wall was designed to be a defensive 'battlement', i.e. to have fighters behind it, firing arrows, crossbow bolts, stones, rocks, spears, etc at a besieging army, plus pushing away any ladders. Consequently, I would imagine any fighting platform ('chemin de ronde') would need to be wide enough to permit warriors/defenders to move along the wall, and stack missiles within reach.

The platform on this wall simply isn't wide enough to do that, so I'm wondering if there might have been a wooden platform in place, since removed? The ground behind the wall, with a gap to the cobbled path, suggests that might be true.

Sorry, I'm being a pain. I really ought to research this better!

>EDIT<

And so I did do some research, and found this excellent site:

http://www.castlesandm​anorhouses.com/archite​cture_03_walls.htm (external link)

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

Jonzjob
268 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited 3 days ago by Jonzjob.

Jan 14, 2020 03:06 |  #397

That's a fascinating article Spencer. The person who wrote it has spent a lot of time wandering around La Cité. It's a live cité and about 850 people live there full time. We always took our visitors there and we loved walking around the walls.

I was told that the outer walls were so designed so that if they were taken there was no cover at all for the attackers. All of the outer towers are only 1/2 towers with the inner 1/2 totally open and they offer no cover. As I said, a killing field.

Chateau de Compt is an incredible place and it's quite daunting to walk around the wooden 'hourdes' with all of the fireing holes in the floor!

John.

Jonzjob
268 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 14, 2020 03:09 |  #398

Finished by polishing this morning. A scruffy old bit of worm eaten cherry on a black wannut base.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

It always amazes me just what I find in tatty old lumps of wood?

John.

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
5,866 posts
Gallery: 518 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 3 days ago by avondale87. (3 edits in all)

Jan 14, 2020 04:24 |  #399

Jonzjob wrote in post #18991733 (external link)
Finished by polishing this morning. A scruffy old bit of worm eaten cherry on a black wannut base.
It always amazes me just what I find in tatty old lumps of wood?

John I can't remember your quote when you posted in wrong thread before, but I think it had an amber glow to it (the Aussie interpretation)
Or is that some medieval weaponry from that magnificent castle  :p
It's obviously been made by a skilled craftsman

Richard

Jonzjob
268 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 14, 2020 10:43 |  #400

Oh dear :oops: I had a dental appointment at 10 this morning and I was russhing to get out. I had gone to the correct thread and saw some likes, for the Carcassonne walls photos and clicked on them. I must have thought that I had gone back to the 'Hand made from wood, etc.

Once again milk monitors, is there any chance that you could save me more of the Aussie 'humour' and put it in the right thread please ? Only kidding about the 'humour' Richard?? :rolleyes:

John.

sponsored links

91,043 views & 1,794 likes for this thread
How About Castles - Anyone Got Any Castle Shots?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.