Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 11 Mar 2011 (Friday) 00:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your gun shots here

chuckster0212
24 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 12, 2020 15:20 as a reply to  @ post 18990359 |  #4471

Nice collection!!!

sponsored links
fireguy_ed
262 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 13, 2020 09:19 |  #4472

Jeff USN Photog 72-76 wrote in post #18990359 (external link)
Some of my Boston Police Duty guns from 1872 to present

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jeff USN Photog 72-76 in
./showthread.php?p=189​90359&i=i212851880
forum: Still Life, B/W & Experimental

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jeff USN Photog 72-76 in
./showthread.php?p=189​90359&i=i225929115

"ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHERS"

Nice collection!

Ed
Canon 40d, 28-135 kit lens, 50/1.8, Siggy 70-200 2.8

Jerry-R
190 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 13, 2020 14:45 |  #4473

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Retired, but still learning ...

Jerry-R
190 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 14, 2020 10:02 |  #4474

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

hammer418
Goldmember
2,136 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 3 days ago by hammer418.

Jan 14, 2020 11:49 |  #4475

Jerry-R wrote in post #18991909 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jerry-R in
./showthread.php?p=189​91909&i=i227737702

Jerry ..... you do an excellent job of 'floating' your subject(s). Are you aware of a tutorial that would help me to do the same ?
Any help would be appreciated ! :-)

(is this specific photo, it appears that you have a support piece that attaches to the magazine. Is that correct ?)

Jerry-R
190 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited 2 days ago by Jerry-R.

Jan 15, 2020 07:49 |  #4476

hammer418 wrote in post #18991964 (external link)
Jerry ..... you do an excellent job of 'floating' your subject(s). Are you aware of a tutorial that would help me to do the same ?
Any help would be appreciated ! :-)

(is this specific photo, it appears that you have a support piece that attaches to the magazine. Is that correct ?)

Thank you, much appreciated. You might look for "light table photography" on YouTube ... although there isn't a lot there. I have a room set up as a mini-studio, with a light table and soft-boxes for the strobes. This provides a white background for the images with no shadows. A light box, or light table, is the only way I've found to adequately shoot products with no background at all. Depending upon the size product you are shooting, the tables and boxes start very inexpensively.

For certain "products" I replace the white background with the blue shown above - post processing using layers in PS. It just seems to make the darker items "pop".

The support piece you mention is a product from MagPul Industries called a MagPod. It replaces the normal base pad on their Gen-2 magazines, and (in theory) could be used as a make-shift bi-pod when shooting prone. I like it because it holds the firearm upright for photographs.

hammer418
Goldmember
2,136 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 15, 2020 08:12 |  #4477

Jerry-R wrote in post #18992452 (external link)
Thank you, much appreciated. You might look for "light table photography" on YouTube ... although there isn't a lot there. I have a room set up as a mini-studio, with a light table and soft-boxes for the strobes. This provides a white background for the images with no shadows. A light box, or light table, is the only way I've found to adequately shoot products with no background at all. Depending upon the size product you are shooting, the tables and boxes start very inexpensively.

For certain "products" I replace the white background with the blue shown above - post processing using layers in PS. It just seems to make the darker items "pop".

The support piece you mention is a product from MagPul Industries called a MagPod. It replaces the normal base pad on their Gen-2 magazines, and (in theory) could be used as a make-shift bi-pod when shooting prone. I like it because it holds the firearm upright for photographs.

Aha ! ......thanks so much for your detailed response. Much appreciated !

sponsored links

1,405,614 views & 3,602 likes for this thread
Post your gun shots here
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.