Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2019 (Thursday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by DreDaze.

Jan 15, 2020 09:25 |  #1486

I wouldnt shoot a brick wall...it wont tell you if something is sharper in front of or behind your target.(just read at an angle, so it would. Still wouldnt do it)..throw a couple boxes with writing at different planes....put the lens on a tripod. Shoot in live view, and then shoot thru the viewfinder...if the results arent the same something is off.

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 15, 2020 09:37 |  #1487

norelec wrote in post #18992393 (external link)
I have not. Unfortunately I do not have the Tamron Tap-In Console adapter.

Another option that may or may not be attractive to you is to send your body and lens to Tamron for MFA. If the lens is still under warranty it is free, aside from the postage to Tamron. Their turnaround time is very short. I did this with my 150-600 G2, as I was having a difficult time with the infinity focus. For me, given how much I use this lens, it was worth it to have the lens dialed in at all distances and focal lengths.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,767 posts
Gallery: 533 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 15, 2020 11:53 |  #1488

DreDaze wrote in post #18992477 (external link)
I wouldnt shoot a brick wall...it wont tell you if something is sharper in front of or behind your target.(just read at an angle, so it would. Still wouldnt do it)..throw a couple boxes with writing at different planes....put the lens on a tripod. Shoot in live view, and then shoot thru the viewfinder...if the results arent the same something is off.

John's method should work well if shooting the right kind of plane surface at a slight angle. So should your "cereal box" method. The main message is to approach the issue analytically to find out what the problem actually is.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to the Beethoven Channel (external link).

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,769 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 15, 2020 18:56 |  #1489

Archibald wrote in post #18992543 (external link)
John's method should work well if shooting the right kind of plane surface at a slight angle. So should your "cereal box" method. The main message is to approach the issue analytically to find out what the problem actually is.

My approach guarantees that *something* will be at maximum focus. That lets you know right away of what the lens is capable of.

Setting things up so that they only exist at discrete differences does not necessarily show you maximum sharpness possible with the lens.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,767 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 15, 2020 19:58 |  #1490

John Sheehy wrote in post #18992719 (external link)
My approach guarantees that *something* will be at maximum focus. That lets you know right away of what the lens is capable of.

Yes, but the implementation can sometimes be difficult, because suitable walls can be hard to find (especially here in Calgary currently where it is -30°C now).

DreDaze
18,380 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 16, 2020 02:07 |  #1491

John Sheehy wrote in post #18992719 (external link)

Setting things up so that they only exist at discrete differences does not necessarily show you maximum sharpness possible with the lens.

using live view will show you the maximum sharpness possible since there is no chance of the AF being off...that's why i said to take a shot with live view, and compare it to through the viewfinder...and use the different planes to figure out which way you need to adjust the focus

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,769 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 16, 2020 07:46 |  #1492

DreDaze wrote in post #18992806 (external link)
using live view will show you the maximum sharpness possible since there is no chance of the AF being off...

That's not completely true. Live View AF has less accuracy problems, but is not totally without them.

My suggestion takes no time at all to set up, if you are in the right situation.

I often do what you suggest for the extra information, don't get me wrong, but I always do the angled surface test first, because it tells you in one shot (if shutter speed is good and ISO is reasonable) just how sharp the lens can be with whatever RAW conversion is used. It's a quick no-brainer that lets you know potential right out of the gate. A camera on a tripod at a slow shutter speed chosen for a low ISO in low light, BTW, is not as stable as a hand-held steady shot at a high shutter speed. Tripods oscillate, and never give maximum sharpness unless shutter speeds are used that would also give sharp hand-held shots. Tripods simply restrain motion within a smaller angle than the free drift range otherwise possible, hand-held. I have rarely seen tripod shots at slow and moderate shutter speeds that are as sharp as my best hand-held shots, even with mirrorless or live view, where the shutter curtains are the only mechanical motion.

that's why i said to take a shot with live view, and compare it to through the viewfinder...and use the different planes to figure out which way you need to adjust the focus

Yes, but you don't know what the best possible focus is with the lens, making it harder to know if you're achieving it. That's why my first move is the angled surface, so you know what to expect. The softer the lens is, optically, the more difficult it is going to be to precisely MFA it, and it's good to go into any MFA process knowing what you've got.

DreDaze
18,380 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 16, 2020 09:46 |  #1493

John Sheehy wrote in post #18992881 (external link)
That's not completely true. Live View AF has less accuracy problems, but is not totally without them.

My suggestion takes no time at all to set up, if you are in the right situation.

I often do what you suggest for the extra information, don't get me wrong, but I always do the angled surface test first, because it tells you in one shot (if shutter speed is good and ISO is reasonable) just how sharp the lens can be with whatever RAW conversion is used. It's a quick no-brainer that lets you know potential right out of the gate. A camera on a tripod at a slow shutter speed chosen for a low ISO in low light, BTW, is not as stable as a hand-held steady shot at a high shutter speed. Tripods oscillate, and never give maximum sharpness unless shutter speeds are used that would also give sharp hand-held shots. Tripods simply restrain motion within a smaller angle than the free drift range otherwise possible, hand-held. I have rarely seen tripod shots at slow and moderate shutter speeds that are as sharp as my best hand-held shots, even with mirrorless or live view, where the shutter curtains are the only mechanical motion.

Yes, but you don't know what the best possible focus is with the lens, making it harder to know if you're achieving it. That's why my first move is the angled surface, so you know what to expect. The softer the lens is, optically, the more difficult it is going to be to precisely MFA it, and it's good to go into any MFA process knowing what you've got.

What possible accuracy focus can happen in live view?

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,408 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 16, 2020 17:39 |  #1494

MONARCH BUTTERFLY ON LANTANA BLOSSOM

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

These were taken from MFD (10') and very slightly cropped. I am very pleased with the resolution of my 90d. Auto focus needs more contrast than my 7dii, to be accurate (IMHO).

MIKEIVAN

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,769 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 17, 2020 04:49 |  #1495

DreDaze wrote in post #18992947 (external link)
What possible accuracy focus can happen in live view?

You left a word or two out of your sentence, perhaps.

Are you suggesting that it is perfect? I doubt that we are there yet, and even if we were, it only applies to a perfectly flat matte surface with one wavelength of light. It takes time to focus perfectly, so the camera has to just say "good enough" at some point when light is good, and fast focus gets you close enough, quickly.

Call me a skeptic, but when other people say, "we have arrived", I just say, "we are now closer".

Anyway, my main point was not that Live View AF is wrong; it is pretty good with the 90D, and reliable for photography; my point was simply that in order to get a handle on just how sharp your lens is, it is valuable to just take a shot where something *must* be in maximum focus.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,963 posts
Gallery: 1004 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 17, 2020 04:57 |  #1496

VSS2011 wrote in post #18992002 (external link)
Not sure whether to post here or the Flash sub-forum, but as it's camera specific here seems to make sense (Mods, please redirect if not)

Can anyone recommend a suitable compatible flash as an alternative to the Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT. I really can't stretch to £500+.

Thanks.

Check out used or refurbished 600 EX-RT version 1.

sw2001
Goldmember
4,658 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 19, 2020 13:38 |  #1497

Got the 90D begin of this month with the EF 100-400mm II. Now is a good time to learn and practice with the new gear to be ready for the spring. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting now, even in low light.
Here is a Red squirrel, no crop and almost no post processing, just minor adjustments in DPP4 and sharpen in Affinity Photo.

IMAGE: http://okanaganwildlifephotography.com/20/IMG_2090_7107-d.jpg

https://www.flickr.com​/people/owlp/ (external link)

cdmazoff
218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2019

Jan 19, 2020 16:07 |  #1498

My first Merlin!!! Lousy light!! But got a great clean shot

HOSTED PHOTO

"His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances
like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free" (Anon)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/cdmazoff/ (external link)

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
8,110 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 23, 2020 16:54 |  #1499

anyone have low light sports pics
football especially
trying to decide between a 90d and a used 1dx

Canon 1DIV, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped, 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 300 2.8, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,767 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Archibald.

Jan 25, 2020 18:34 |  #1500

Glossy Ibis with the 90D and 100-400II. I had quite a few AF failures with this subject, because it is dark, I think. But this shot was OK.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Archibald's gallery.

sponsored links

447,100 views & 5,797 likes for this thread
-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.