Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2

rowdy
263 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 03, 2020 10:02 |  #2656

bryzf1 wrote in post #19002811 (external link)
Man, honestly when I first started in this thread back in like 2014/2015 I was so hesitant to post, I felt like me work was garbage compared to the work posted here. I just kept at it and starting only comparing my work to my previous work instead of everyone else. It helped me a ton and I feel like I've improved leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, but still need so much more work! Now I just need to improve my landscape work to get on your level!

It took me a long time to get to that point, but that's what it's really all about, being better than the last time. When we get complacent and stop "working" to get better, that's when we fail ourselves. Similar to TRhoads, my "field of expertise" def isn't portrait work!! lolol. I spent nearly two decades doing motorsports before remotely considering portrait work. I have good sessions, some great sessions, and from time to time, some not so great sessions, lol. But I'm comfortable enough in my skillset to post my work, and tough enough to handle good constructive critique.

sponsored links
rowdy
263 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 03, 2020 10:06 |  #2657

Along the lines of the conversation, I understand my "style" isn't for everyone, Not nearly as slick, shiney, and polished as a lot of images posted here, but like it's been mentioned, my customers dig it, and it pays the bills, lol.
Here are a couple from a session this past Saturday.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
9,326 posts
Gallery: 702 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 03, 2020 10:54 |  #2658

rowdy wrote in post #19003110 (external link)
Along the lines of the conversation, I understand my "style" isn't for everyone, Not nearly as slick, shiney, and polished as a lot of images posted here, but like it's been mentioned, my customers dig it, and it pays the bills, lol.
Here are a couple from a session this past Saturday.

That style works for that environment though...so it is good that you can see that it needs to fit the genre...cool session I am sure.

Website (external link) | YouTube (external link) | Instagram (external link) | The Gear List

bryzf1
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 465 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 03, 2020 11:56 as a reply to  @ rowdy's post |  #2659

agreed! It definitely works and you're showing him off in his environment which is what it's all about!

Bryan
Switched to Sony - A7iii | A9 | 12-24G | 28 f/2 | 35 f/1.4 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4GM | 135 f/1.8GM | 100-400GM
flickr (external link)

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,034 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 03, 2020 16:45 |  #2660

I haven't posted here in over a year. Here are few that I've taken 2019. I'm not a big portrait photographer, I mainly do sports. However, 95% of my senior portraits are HS athletes.

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s/v-10/p3638320222-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s/v-10/p3675428207-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s/v-10/p3508606341-5.jpg

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

rowdy
263 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 04, 2020 04:38 |  #2661

tmalone893 wrote in post #19003312 (external link)
I haven't posted here in over a year. Here are few that I've taken 2019. I'm not a big portrait photographer, I mainly do sports. However, 95% of my senior portraits are HS athletes.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Obviously the two young ladies are very pretty, and you've captured them well, but number one is crazy good! IMO. Love the lighting.

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,034 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 04, 2020 09:54 |  #2662

rowdy wrote in post #19003586 (external link)
Obviously the two young ladies are very pretty, and you've captured them well, but number one is crazy good! IMO. Love the lighting.

Thank you very much!

My Gear

flickr (external link)

bryzf1
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 465 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 04, 2020 09:58 as a reply to  @ tmalone893's post |  #2663

fantastic shots! Love them!

Bryan
Switched to Sony - A7iii | A9 | 12-24G | 28 f/2 | 35 f/1.4 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4GM | 135 f/1.8GM | 100-400GM
flickr (external link)

bsiegler
347 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 09, 2020 13:46 |  #2664

I've always wanted to try my luck at a composite. I want to make it clear I did not profit from this photo as I started with one of the free templates from Shirk Photography website. They had a nice tutorial that shows how to get started doing this kind of work.
I have a student in my tech class that is graduating this year and I wanted to do something nice for him. I think this shot turned out well. Now that I see how everything works, I plan to shoot all my background layers myself and see if I can create my own templates.
Let me know what you think?

HOSTED PHOTO

Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,068 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Feb 09, 2020 14:06 as a reply to  @ bsiegler's post |  #2665

I think you did well layering him "inside" what ever that spray is, I just think the spray is too distracting. Your technique looks good.

bsiegler
347 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 09, 2020 14:19 |  #2666

Pigpen101 wrote in post #19006582 (external link)
I think you did well layering him "inside" what ever that spray is, I just think the spray is too distracting. Your technique looks good.

Thanks, the template was called powder explosion. The school colors are green & white...

rjharris
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 09, 2020 15:37 as a reply to  @ bsiegler's post |  #2667

When you get finished with it, the last step I always do a black to white gradient map set to soft light at 20-25%. It seems to make everything blend together a bit better. Great job though I think. I've bought a few from Shirk myself.

bsiegler
347 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 09, 2020 16:45 |  #2668

rjharris wrote in post #19006634 (external link)
When you get finished with it, the last step I always do a black to white gradient map set to soft light at 20-25%. It seems to make everything blend together a bit better. Great job though I think. I've bought a few from Shirk myself.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that!

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,034 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 10, 2020 08:42 |  #2669

bsiegler wrote in post #19006569 (external link)
I've always wanted to try my luck at a composite. I want to make it clear I did not profit from this photo as I started with one of the free templates from Shirk Photography website. They had a nice tutorial that shows how to get started doing this kind of work.
I have a student in my tech class that is graduating this year and I wanted to do something nice for him. I think this shot turned out well. Now that I see how everything works, I plan to shoot all my background layers myself and see if I can create my own templates.
Let me know what you think?

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by bsiegler in
./showthread.php?p=190​06569&i=i81722301
forum: People

To be your first attempt, I think you did great. Save this one and as you work on new ones, look back and you’ll be surprised how much better you have become. I always look at my earlier photography and I’m shocked of the past and present pics.

My Gear

flickr (external link)

Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,068 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Feb 10, 2020 14:52 as a reply to  @ bsiegler's post |  #2670

Please don't misunderstand me. I think you did a great job, it's the template that I question. :-)

sponsored links

1,218,821 views & 3,297 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.