Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 18 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"

CDMOOSE
Cream of the Crop
9,935 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2009

Feb 03, 2020 10:50 |  #1036

Mid-September last year; 200 mm; 15 ft.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Al
Canon 7D II, 5D III, 7D, 500mm/f4L II, 1.4X TC III, 24-70mm/f2.8L, 70-200/f4L IS

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,716 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 03, 2020 23:55 |  #1037

I went to Africa 4 months ago & had the time of my life but I hesitate to blow this thread up with all the photos I took. BUT, nice entries from everyone! Keep posting.

JEFF: come back! We miss you!

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Tronhard
434 posts
Gallery: 169 photos
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 5 months ago by Tronhard. (2 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2020 00:18 |  #1038

I was travelling the Trans Canada Highway a few years back when I came across a bunch of cars along the roadside. That usually denoted a wildlife sighting of some sort, so I stopped to have a look. A tourist in a camper van had spotted a mother black bear with three cubs foraging about 100m from the road. She had stopped and was enticing them to come within range of her cell phone by throwing food - vegetables and berries - between herself and the bears.

The mother acted as expected and came closer. I know what a black bear can do - I was with a SAR team that found a shredded body of a hiker who had apparently come between a female black bear and her cubs. It was pretty horrific. In fact, in the three weeks I was in the area three hikers died in a similar way. I told the woman in question the folly of what she was doing and that it was illegal but she wanted to get the shot and others were standing with her doing much the same. The bears came within about 5m of the roadside.

HOSTED PHOTO

At this point a ranger turned up, she demanded to know who was encouraging the bears and the woman admitted that she had. The ranger said that now, to discourage the bear from becoming tolerant of people she would have to shoot the bear. She took out a shotgun and did so - using a plastic round that stung the bear but didn't injure it. The bear bolted and so did the cubs. Everyone was horrified, but as the ranger explained, if she did no,t the next time that bear would come to a human expecting to find food and that was dangerous for the human and the bear as any injury or death to a human would result in the bear's death, and likely that of the cubs. The woman got a hefty on-the-spot fine.

Bears are becoming more desperate for food and that is bringing them into contact more and more with humans, bating them with food (like berries) encourages them and increases the chances of conflict resulting in death or injury. Grizzlies are omnivores, I have seen them outrun and take down a moose, in comparison with which a human is an easy catch.

HOSTED PHOTO

There is a male grizzly in that bush.

My point is that under controlled conditions photography of bears is a great pastime, but I would strongly discourage the random engagement of bears for a photo. It's not worth death or injury to humans and certainly not the bears.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Lyn2011
652 posts
Gallery: 213 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 04, 2020 03:36 as a reply to  @ Maureen Souza's post |  #1039

Maureen, we would love to see your photos.

Inspeqtor
afraid the TF would get bad ideas for me
9,242 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 04, 2020 06:25 |  #1040

Lyn2011 wrote in post #19003576 (external link)
Maureen, we would love to see your photos.

I second that motion! At least "some" of your photos!!

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Inspeqtor
afraid the TF would get bad ideas for me
9,242 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 04, 2020 06:27 |  #1041

Tronhard wrote in post #19003541 (external link)
I was travelling the Trans Canada Highway a few years back when I came across a bunch of cars along the roadside. That usually denoted a wildlife sighting of some sort, so I stopped to have a look. A tourist in a camper van had spotted a mother black bear with three cubs foraging about 100m from the road. She had stopped and was enticing them to come within range of her cell phone by throwing food - vegetables and berries - between herself and the bears.

The mother acted as expected and came closer. I know what a black bear can do - I was with a SAR team that found a shredded body of a hiker who had apparently come between a female black bear and her cubs. It was pretty horrific. In fact, in the three weeks I was in the area three hikers died in a similar way. I told the woman in question the folly of what she was doing and that it was illegal but she wanted to get the shot and others were standing with her doing much the same. The bears came within about 5m of the roadside.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tronhard in
./showthread.php?p=190​03541&i=i58147000
forum: Wildlife

At this point a ranger turned up, she demanded to know who was encouraging the bears and the woman admitted that she had. The ranger said that now, to discourage the bear from becoming tolerant of people she would have to shoot the bear. She took out a shotgun and did so - using a plastic round that stung the bear but didn't injure it. The bear bolted and so did the cubs. Everyone was horrified, but as the ranger explained, if she did no,t the next time that bear would come to a human expecting to find food and that was dangerous for the human and the bear as any injury or death to a human would result in the bear's death, and likely that of the cubs. The woman got a hefty on-the-spot fine.

Bears are becoming more desperate for food and that is bringing them into contact more and more with humans, bating them with food (like berries) encourages them and increases the chances of conflict resulting in death or injury. Grizzlies are omnivores, I have seen them outrun and take down a moose, in comparison with which a human is an easy catch.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tronhard in
./showthread.php?p=190​03541&i=i71326007
forum: Wildlife

There is a male grizzly in that bush.

My point is that under controlled conditions photography of bears is a great pastime, but I would strongly discourage the random engagement of bears for a photo. It's not worth death or injury to humans and certainly not the bears.

I am glad a ranger was nearby at the time and saw what was going on!

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Maureen ­ Souza
33,716 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 04, 2020 09:57 as a reply to  @ Lyn2011's post |  #1042

Do you have a preference? Lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, buffalo, wildebeest migration, black rhino? I took almost 4000 photos...... :p

5DMK4
7DMK2

Maureen ­ Souza
33,716 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 04, 2020 09:59 as a reply to  @ Tronhard's post |  #1043

Pardon the language but we call them the Dumb Ass Awards. Skip & I see them in every national park we visit & once I told a man I was going to take pictures of him being attacked & eaten by the bear he was creeping up on with his cell phone camera.

5DMK4
7DMK2

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,103 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 04, 2020 10:51 |  #1044

Maureen Souza wrote in post #19003533 (external link)
I went to Africa 4 months ago & had the time of my life but I hesitate to blow this thread up with all the photos I took. BUT, nice entries from everyone! Keep posting.

JEFF: come back! We miss you!

Go ahead, go nuclear on this thread!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Honey ­ Monster
376 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 04, 2020 12:58 |  #1045

I also took about 4,000 photos in Africa last year. I have some of the same animals as Maureen (no Black Rhino), but also some different ones. I am still processing them, but I might join in as well.

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,858 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 04, 2020 14:17 |  #1046

Maureen Souza wrote in post #19003718 (external link)
Do you have a preference? Lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, buffalo, wildebeest migration, black rhino? I took almost 4000 photos...... :p

Several of each is my request, :-). I most likely will remain confined to North America so any wildlife photos from Africa will be welcome.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Honey ­ Monster
376 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 04, 2020 14:35 |  #1047

Elephants at sunset in Madikwe National Park, South Africa. The sun was just disappearing behind the hills.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48183282686_910edf3746_h.jpg

Honey ­ Monster
376 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 04, 2020 15:02 as a reply to  @ Tronhard's post |  #1048

People take all sorts of stupid risks around animals. I saw a family with young children trying to take pictures with their phones of Highland cows that had calves with them on the Applecross peninsula in Scotland. The people were only feet away from the cows and were getting between them and their offspring. These cows have very big horns and people have been killed before by getting between a cow and her calf.

Maureen ­ Souza
33,716 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 04, 2020 18:53 |  #1049

As soon as my grandkids go hone I will get some up. Maybe a small handful each day until somebody shouts “Enough!”

5DMK4
7DMK2

Maureen ­ Souza
33,716 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 04, 2020 20:34 |  #1050

We will start with my favorite of the cats...the leopard. Smallest in size, strongest pound for pound. We were told if we caught any glimpses of leopards it would be their tail into the underbrush. We saw leopards every day and two mamas with cubs. One mom and her cub. Shooting through bushes & grasses but happy to get the shots.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

5DMK4
7DMK2

sponsored links

354,399 views & 5,079 likes for this thread
What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.