Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 05 Nov 2019 (Tuesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I’m About Too...

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 18, 2019 21:01 |  #16

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18962139 (external link)
Well each to their own and all that. You mention having to use Capture One for Fuji, you don't, there are lots of different apps out there, even Lightroom has it better these days [Still a dog for speed IMO though]. And what is it in the free version of Capture one that 'wasn't appealing' for you? I think it does everything you need, unless you want to work in layers or tether to a camera (a must for me so I use the full version, as I have for years), it's pretty much the full version only costs nothing...

I guess if you spend your time pixel peeping into your images and want the absolute best in IQ then it's easy to look down your nose at some cameras or find that they are not for your particular analysing every image needs - I feel like that sometimes too after a day of shooting with a proper full frame camera with it's 54x43mm sensor, but I still prefer using the Fuji cameras, the X-PRO2 is my favourite day to day as I like the feel of them and in reality no client of mine has questioned my choice of gear once. Like I said each to their own but perhaps I'm lucky with the photography I get to do.

Andrew did you get to play with the X-T2 and 50-140 yet?

iirc he's getting the fuji xt2 and 50-140mm almost giveaway cheap price.

If he shoots with a 5dmk4 with his current 70-200 f/2.8IS mk2 he'd be very familiar with the "look" of his 5dmk3. The difference is a noticeable bump in image quality, high iso capabilities and overall performance from the newer digic processor. In lightroom I can tell the difference between my aging 5dmk3 vs my 5dmk4. The difference is almost like upgrading my lenses......No need to pixel peep as the image quality is very obvious and better in low light than the sony crop sensor inside of the Fuji body. I have no need to pixel peep knowing I'm getting incredible high iso capabilities in the FF sensor world. I'm fully aware of the files I've obtained by smaller sensors I've owned and used extensively over the years.

I often find more and more hired photogs simply accepting average IQ even though they know it's noisy. Generations back it's more acceptable in the 5dmk2 era. 5dmk3 simply improve a bit more. Tech these days has really ramped up as incredible high iso performers in the FF world. aps-c sensor improve laterally to FF. Crop will never surpass FF. On the same note FF will never surpass medium format or in the fuji GFX world "large format sony sensor".

Few will dare to shoot an entire wedding or large event coverage with a GFX 100MP sensor. Even current high MP bodies such as the Canon 5dsR or A7r3/4 or Nikon D850 can go through many memory cards and slow down the work flow in post processing with huge files.

Andrew is curious how the fuji will hold up in concert lighting. Fuji will fair well since a good percentage of the time the lighting is easy. So if a modern aps-c does well in that lighting a modern FF will be even cleaner. However when the light gets challenging crop sensor photogs excuses will pop up why their is obvious more noise with a smaller aps-c sensor vs larger more capable FF sensor in low light. My real life comparison of my former X-t2 vs my Sony A73 is a world apart in cleaner files with Raw files that no longer fall apart at high iso vs my Fuji. If my X-t2 matched my Sony A73 low light performance I'd still keep the Fuji system.

Sony A73 will have cleaner files than a Fuji X-t2, X-t3 and this is doesn't even require pixel peeping. It's a photogs choice in selecting tools. A Nikon D850, 5dmk4 would have cleaner files across the board in challenging light. Now this becomes the photogs tolerance to noise and what he/she provides their client.

After using my X-t2 with 50-140mm. Hands down the IQ I provide family/friends/clients with my FF gear with Gmaster 70-200 or Canon 70-200 f/2.8is mk2 are better than my Fuji setup regardless of what light I am dealing with. However if i'm shooting easy light the Fuji x-t2 with 50-140mm does well if it's not challenging the sensor. Only downfall is I notice the difference between f/4 dof using an f/2.8 zoom wideopen using aps-c vs FF Dof.

If I was a hired shooter for concerts I'd definitely be using my A73 or 5dmk4 that I have in my gearbag.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,274 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 24, 2019 10:36 |  #17

nationalstore wrote in post #18961375 (external link)
I would recommend staying with Canon. I have years of familiarity with the brand and Canon hasn't let me down yet.

Canon never let me down either - it's just that they had not kept up with the technology of the Second Decade of the 21st Century.

The 6D Mark-2 convinced me to divorce my over 50-year marriage to Canon and marry a Sony bride...

My real beef with the Canon 6D2 was the focusing array which Canon imported from the crop sensor 80D with no changes resulting in an array jammed into the center of the frame with no focusing points along the edges...

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Photo-Equipment/i-wpph6CT/0/d95c6000/O/focus%20array.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …ocus%20array.jp​g&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

As a result, I began trying the Canon Face Detect AF system and found that I liked it quite a bit. However, Face Detect on the 6D2 is only available in Live View Mode which is difficult for me to use in bright sun conditions.

I decided to try an alternate system and see what Sony had put on the table with Eye-AF utilizing an eye level viewfinder. I purchased a used Sony A6500 on eBay in an auction that included a Sigma MC-11 adapter. Plans were to use the Sony body with adapted Canon glass.

The Sony body was great but, for me, adapted glass left a lot to be desired. Adapting Canon glass negated some portion of the wonderful AF of the Sony body. I purchased a Sony SEL 50mm f/1.8 OSS lens and immediately fell head over heels with the Sony AF system.

I later purchased an A6400 to use in tandem with the A6500. I have now completely shifted from Canon and have sold all my Canon gear... I don't miss my old partner a bit! I now have the two APSC bodies, a full-frame A7iii and an old NEX-7 body which I have converter to full-time infrared. All my glass is either e-mount or manual Legacy Glass...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 24, 2019 22:03 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #18

Canon, like Nikon, has been accused of being a bit arrogant by not adopting technologies sooner. Now they are loosing market share every day and it's being picked up by phone makers as well as Sony and Fuji who embraced change. Fuji went 'compact and retro' while Sony went all in with mirrorless and software advancements. Canon tried to dominate other brands by taking up shelf space with various models and packages so people wouldn't know there were other options. Just go to any photography section and that's what you'll see on display. That worked in the past, but Sony and Fuji are well known and respected companies too and both have been putting out some nice stuff. I used to own the 70-200 2.8 on a full frame Canon and I like my X-H1 + 50-140 2.8 more because it's a full pound lighter, around $300-$400 cheaper with grip (with current deals over the 6D2 example), smaller, and more organic feeling with it's buttons and dials. IQ there is a slight advantage to the Canon, but not enough to matter. I never knew how much I was suffering by lugging around my Canon gear until I got my Fuji camera's. I carry around my X-E3 with tree lenses and barely notice. My 7D alone was heavier than that alone.

Canon makes good stuff, but they resisted change and now that the tides are turning they are scrambling to catch up. I'm not even sure Nikon is even aware that they are sinking. Sony and Fuji is where it's at right now and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,601 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 25, 2019 01:29 |  #19

MaxxuM wrote in post #18965537 (external link)
Canon, like Nikon, has been accused of being a bit arrogant by not adopting technologies sooner. Now they are loosing market share every day and it's being picked up by phone makers as well as Sony and Fuji who embraced change. Fuji went 'compact and retro' while Sony went all in with mirrorless and software advancements. Canon tried to dominate other brands by taking up shelf space with various models and packages so people wouldn't know there were other options. Just go to any photography section and that's what you'll see on display. That worked in the past, but Sony and Fuji are well known and respected companies too and both have been putting out some nice stuff. I used to own the 70-200 2.8 on a full frame Canon and I like my X-H1 + 50-140 2.8 more because it's a full pound lighter, around $300-$400 cheaper with grip (with current deals over the 6D2 example), smaller, and more organic feeling with it's buttons and dials. IQ there is a slight advantage to the Canon, but not enough to matter. I never knew how much I was suffering by lugging around my Canon gear until I got my Fuji camera's. I carry around my X-E3 with tree lenses and barely notice. My 7D alone was heavier than that alone.

Canon makes good stuff, but they resisted change and now that the tides are turning they are scrambling to catch up. I'm not even sure Nikon is even aware that they are sinking. Sony and Fuji is where it's at right now and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

I always tried to keep a small and lightweight kit with my canon's, and it didnt work out for one reason or another.
---- -> 18mm f2.8, not sure if this exists in canon, but it's not 145g even if exists
24mm f2.8 IS 280g -> SY 24mm f2.8, MUCH smaller, 90g
28mm f2.8 IS 260g -> Sony 28mm f2, smaller, lighter, stabilized, stop faster, 220g
35mm f2 IS 335g -> Sony 35mm f2.8, lose 1 stop of light, 120g
50mm f1.8 160g -> SY 45mm f1.8 165g (I know it's not apples to apples, but I prefer just a bit wider)
100mm f2 460g -> Sony 85 f1.8 (not apples to apples but all they offer) 380g

every one of these primes are considerably smaller than the canon equivalent except for the 50 vs 45 which are similar in size, not including flange distance. Add flange distance and the Canon stuff has a much longer total length.

For zooms, the Tamron 17-28 + 28-75 f2.8 are considerably smaller and lighter than typical 16-35 + 24-70 f2.8's, 1KG vs 1.6KG

I never use all the lenses I have, typically bring one or two with me, however I do bring some accessories that add to the kit, so camera size matters a lot because it's only part of the story. Lights, gimbals, sometimes rigs need to come along. When shooting an event, multiple cameras, and that stuff adds up, so having a tidy kit can really make a difference. To replicate my kits with a DSLR, for an event shoot, I am shaving 2KG at least, not including smaller tripod.

like you said, people really underestimate how much weight you CAN save if you're looking to save weight. I was a daily carry DSLR user, I used it a lot, and happy with the results, but never liked the weight, STILL dont like the weight of my sony setup. As options mature, the sigma FP is an interesting concept and should they bring out a better sensor with faster readout, I'de continue down the path of small and light even further, but they arent quite there yet.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,959 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 25, 2019 06:06 |  #20

Just look at the images you normally take and honestly determine if a full frame camera was necessary to obtain that image. Most people will find that what they shoot it just isn't that critical. I killed my a6300 a couple of weeks ago, and moved that work flow to a Sony a7 III. Except for the better ISO performance, despite the fact that I shoot 80% of the time wide open, the difference is negligible. Has me looking for a used 6300 to go back to.

My advice, go with what you'll grab as you go out the door. The full frame cameras and kit can be just too big for many.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 25, 2019 07:33 |  #21

Croasdail wrote in post #18965697 (external link)
Just look at the images you normally take and honestly determine if a full frame camera was necessary to obtain that image. Most people will find that what they shoot it just isn't that critical. I killed my a6300 a couple of weeks ago, and moved that work flow to a Sony a7 III. Except for the better ISO performance, despite the fact that I shoot 80% of the time wide open, the difference is negligible. Has me looking for a used 6300 to go back to.

My advice, go with what you'll grab as you go out the door. The full frame cameras and kit can be just too big for many.

Makes sense in what you say.

The Full frame lens will be bulkier in many cases. However I feel that my A73 is still very small and light with a Gmaster 16-35, Tammy 28-75, 85 f1.8 for general use. Even the Gmaster 24mm is relatively a small and light package. This is one reason why is see overall gain in performance over my previous Fuji kit.

Many will gravitate to what they like. I will not ever buy a Fuji kit again or unlikely go Sony aps-c.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2019 22:47 |  #22

Charlie wrote in post #18965604 (external link)
I always tried to keep a small and lightweight kit with my canon's, and it didnt work out for one reason or another.

Yep, that's par for the course. I have to mark all the comparison videos on YouTube as "Not Interested" so I don't have to see anything new and start to get lens envy and go and buy another one. My 35mm F2 is almost always on my X-E3 and my X-H1 has the 18-55 F2.8-4 OIS attached most of the time. They switch places in bad weather. I sometimes use vintage Fujinon EBS lenses or Viltrox 85mm F1.8, 12mm Rokinon, 50-140 F2.8 OIS, or cheap XC zoom because I have filters which fit it and haven't bothered to spend the $$$ to get ones for the 50-140. I don't do night venues or classical portraiture so all the 1.2's don't really entice me. The Rokinon 135mm F2 for astrophotography though...

andrewq
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by andrewq.

Feb 10, 2020 16:21 as a reply to  @ post 18962139 |  #23

So I did it. I took a major jump switching systems but I sold off my 5D3 as well as all my canon mount lenses and accessories and bought my buddy's X-T2 and 50-140mm f/2.8 (70-200 equivalent). It was such a fantastic deal from my buddy for the lens and the body that I had the money to pick up a 16-55mm f/2.8 (24-70 equivalent). I also picked up a second battery and eventually got a battery grip (I needed the grip). Its been a learning curve for sure and I started student teaching right around the time that I go the new camera so I haven't been able to work with it nearly as much as I've wanted to. That said, I love it. I'm stoked on the colors, I'm happy with the way it performs in low light. I dig the digital noise as grain. I LOVE the film simulations and being able to tweak them to form my own presets. The glass, in my opinion, is as good as my old Canon glass. All this and I haven't mentioned the change in size and weight. It really is amazing. The whole system is just fun to use and the learning process has been great and I'm excited to see how my photography progresses using Fujifilm tools.

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions!
Andrew

Fujifilm X-T2, Fujinon 16-55 f/2.8, Fujinon 50-140 F/2.8

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 10, 2020 16:36 |  #24

andrewq wrote in post #19007264 (external link)
So I did it. I took a major jump switching systems but I sold off my 5D3 as well as all my canon mount lenses and accessories and bought my buddy's X-T2 and 50-140mm f/2.8 (70-200 equivalent). I had the money to pick up a 16-55mm f/2.8 (24-70 equivalent). I also picked up a second battery and eventually got a battery grip (I needed the grip). Its been a learning curve for sure and I started student teaching right around the time that I go the new camera so I haven't been able to work with it nearly as much as I've wanted to. That said, I love it. I'm stoked on the colors, I'm happy with the way it performs in low light. I dig the digital noise as grain. I LOVE the film simulations and being able to tweak them to form my own presets. The glass, in my opinion, is as good as my old Canon glass. The whole system is just fun to use and the learning process has been great and I'm excited to see how my photography progresses using Fujifilm tools.

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions!
Andrew

Enjoy the Fuji world!!

If you use the tripod mount a lot, doubt check the tiny screws that holds in the 1/4 thread internal plate. 4 little screws can potentially loosen and fall out especially if you remove a battery booster often.

Fuji - gone

sponsored links

2,646 views & 3 likes for this thread
I’m About Too...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.