Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Dec 2018 (Monday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommendation for EF 400 f5.6

pappusrkr
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Gallery: 259 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Dec 2017

Feb 06, 2019 05:31 as a reply to  @ post 18805500 |  #16

Thank you for your feedback, I can't afford more than the 400mm f5.6 in terms of price and also weight/size, I cant imagine carrying anything bigger than this. I am in no way pro or near to pro wildlife shooter. I have been using it for over 1 month, satisfied with it so far. Most of the times I attach it with my 1.4x II for small birds or animals at far distance, the results are satisfactory. I will post some birds shot soon. Recently I have been trying something out of my comfort zone (landscapes) and I am enjoying it. Thanks once again.

sponsored links
TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
4,946 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2019 12:11 |  #17

pappusrkr wrote in post #18798742 (external link)
Few shots from today, the forst ever time with this lens.
QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Nice, and congratulations on your new lens !

I'm mainly here for the snacks

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,684 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 06, 2019 21:00 |  #18

It's a great lens. Be aware it is not a so called 'sealed' lens though. The very similar 300 f4L IS is though and most Canon white lenses are.
I only discovered that a year or two into ownership. (Just came across the info, did not get any water damage despite some use in light rain)

Dave
Image editing OK

pappusrkr
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Gallery: 259 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Dec 2017

Feb 07, 2019 07:43 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #19

Thanks for the information, well noted.

Max_S
96 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 14, 2020 04:16 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #20

Late reply, but I think you're wrong.
As far as I know/have been told, the 300/4 IS is NOT sealed either.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,195 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 14, 2020 15:10 |  #21

Max_S wrote in post #18991747 (external link)
Late reply, but I think you're wrong.
As far as I know/have been told, the 300/4 IS is NOT sealed either.

Both have the same build quality, including the level of "partial' sealing, but by the normal L standards, "not sealed" would be much closer to the truth than "sealed"

"The 400 f/5.6 is a partially weather sealed lens. A lens mount gasket is not present, but the switches and focusing ring have moderate dust and moisture resistance."

"The 300 f/4L IS is a partially weather sealed lens. A lens mount gasket is not present, but the switches and focusing ring have moderate dust and moisture resistance. A front filter should be used for sealing purposes. "

These are also of the era where one would have needed a front filter to finish any sealing.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Max_S
96 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 15, 2020 16:13 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #22

Okay, sorry, my error.
"Era where a front filter is needed".
That era is still going on, with the 16-35.

If buttons are somewhat sealed, I guess technically I could put a filter on there, put a plastic bag over the body and rear of the lens, tape it down and be good, in an emergency (I think).

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,684 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Choderboy. (3 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2020 19:36 |  #23

Choderboy wrote in post #18806300 (external link)
It's a great lens. Be aware it is not a so called 'sealed' lens though. The very similar 300 f4L IS is though and most Canon white lenses are. Oops, WRONG!
I only discovered that a year or two into ownership. (Just came across the info, did not get any water damage despite some use in light rain)

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18992082 (external link)
Both have the same build quality, including the level of "partial' sealing, but by the normal L standards, "not sealed" would be much closer to the truth than "sealed"

"The 400 f/5.6 is a partially weather sealed lens. A lens mount gasket is not present, but the switches and focusing ring have moderate dust and moisture resistance."

"The 300 f/4L IS is a partially weather sealed lens. A lens mount gasket is not present, but the switches and focusing ring have moderate dust and moisture resistance. A front filter should be used for sealing purposes. "

These are also of the era where one would have needed a front filter to finish any sealing.

CORRECT! I could have sworn my 300 f4 had a rear gasket. I think I was remembering the gasket on the 1.4TC which was usually used with the 300.

Dave
Image editing OK

Max_S
96 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Jan 16, 2020 01:08 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #24

I've actually seen people online claim you can "aftermarket-add" a gasket from some other Canon lens, but...I'm not sure, and I've never seen specifics/results

hairyjames
425 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 7 months ago by hairyjames. (2 edits in all)

Feb 12, 2020 21:15 |  #25

My preferences were just about the same: Lightweight + Image quality + Affordability + insanely fast AF using a 7D mkII.

From birds-in-flight (feathered or jet propulsion) or the same for "static" shots this lens has survived the test of time. I use this lens for other type images too. I love it a lot . . . it is as much as I prefer to carry on hikes and on hot location shoots of wildlife! I hope you are now loving yours too!

I wanted to post an image that I shot Sunday afternoon, unsupported and hand-held. I've cropped the image for my screen background of 16x9 ratio, that would keep space open on the left for program icons not to mess up the important parts.

This 1st year Great Blue Heron was flying towards the late afternoon sun. I had also dialed in -1 in EV value to make sure I didn't blow out the light on the leading edge of the bird.

All the best, Tom

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Max_S
96 posts
Joined Jan 2020

Feb 13, 2020 08:02 as a reply to  @ hairyjames's post |  #26

I went with a 300/4 IS for now, because I got it at a good price (used, but as new).
Plan is to get a 400/4 (if Canon ever makes a non-DO one) or 2.8 one day, or maybe even a 200-400.

sponsored links

4,783 views & 23 likes for this thread
Recommendation for EF 400 f5.6
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.