Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
8,178 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 16, 2020 10:25 |  #37336

Winter in Red Rocks Park

One of new my favorite places to explore near me is Red Rocks. This is a blue hour shot showing a small community, the Red Rocks on the left, front range, and winter landscape. Part of the trail can be found in the center. Wonderful place to explore and shoot.

FE 16-35 GM

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9NKvVXX/0/a40ffcee/O/i-9NKvVXX.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.alfredomor​aphoto.com …oads/n-mNp4Hr/i-9NKvVXX/A  (external link)

sponsored links
navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,027 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by navydoc.

Feb 16, 2020 10:30 |  #37337

digital_AM wrote in post #19010578 (external link)
Winter in Red Rocks Park

One of new my favorite places to explore near me is Red Rocks. This is a blue hour shot showing a small community, the Red Rocks on the left, front range, and winter landscape. Part of the trail can be found in the center. Wonderful place to explore and shoot.

FE 16-35 GM

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://www.alfredomor​aphoto.com …oads/n-mNp4Hr/i-9NKvVXX/A  (external link)

Beautiful scene. What city are the lights from in the background? Is that Denver?

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
8,178 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 16, 2020 10:42 |  #37338

navydoc wrote in post #19010581 (external link)
Beautiful scene. What city are the lights from in the background? Is that Denver?

Thank you Gene. Yes it’s south Denver.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,726 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 16, 2020 11:01 |  #37339

Charlie wrote in post #19010372 (external link)
it's definitely a nice piece of glass, had brief hands on with it, hate the hood though, seems unnecessarily large (I dont often use hoods, so this wouldn't bother me much). I do like the short stout size, seems a good bit smaller than the GM.

The rubber piece on the hood is a terrible dust magnet and is rather useless. I use GT5000 tape on the bottom of the hood where it contacts the surface when you put the camera down.

The IQ is different to my Gmaster 16-35 and previous Tammy 28-75mm. Files do not feel exactly like Sony files in LR. The look is slightly different in render with less harder edgy look. The Sigma zoom still shocks me in how it physically operates and the files I pull out of it. For $1599 CDN it's a giveaway bargain compared to my Canon 24-70L f/2.8mk2 at $2199.00 or Sony Gm24-70 f/2.8 at $2899.99 CDN. Not enough time on this zoomto talk about QC but I do notice almost every copy of GM24-70 has a bubbly rubber grip as if it's falling off. Not sure what is going on with the GM24-70 grip.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,908 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz. (2 edits in all)

Feb 16, 2020 11:31 |  #37340

I have the Tamron 28-75mm as it was relatively cheap as I bought it used. It is working out nice but I miss 24mm end. Sigma is $1100 at B&H. Maybe cheaper through green toe, not sure.

I am driving in the northern CA redwoods and wish I had 16-35mm lens with me or atleast 18mm. Sad part is I can't walk as my leg is hurting, so mostly drive by shooting. I haven't had this happen before even though I wore leg brace all my life. Walking used to be hard where I couldn't hike but not like hurting I have now. Hopefully it is something temporary. Will see the doctor next week.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,479 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by rantercsr.

Feb 16, 2020 12:12 |  #37341

question for you guys.. when exporting jpegs.

I've been exporting as 'pro photo rgb'... not by choice just never looked or took that into consideration.

i'm reading now that its a big mistake especially for client work as the photos may appear way off on an uncalibrated monitor.

i exported a set of photos in both just now and see absolutely no difference, although my monitor is nothing too fancy it is a dell that is supposed to be very good with colors covering some very high percentage of color spaces etc etc.. i don't remember all the details.. i never calibrated it , it came with some sheet showing that it was already done.

(what i did notice is that the srgb files are slightly larger than the pro photo rgb

in an case, is this a big deal?

will this matter for printing?

any thoughts would be appreciated

My portraits IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
8,149 posts
Gallery: 554 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 16, 2020 13:54 |  #37342

rantercsr wrote in post #19010638 (external link)

I've been exporting as 'pro photo rgb'... not by choice just never looked or took that into consideration.

i'm reading now that its a big mistake especially for client work as the photos may appear way off on an uncalibrated monitor.

i exported a set of photos in both just now and see absolutely no difference, although my monitor is nothing too fancy it is a dell that is supposed to be very good with colors covering some very high percentage of color spaces etc etc.. i don't remember all the details.. i never calibrated it , it came with some sheet showing that it was already done.

(what i did notice is that the srgb files are slightly larger than the pro photo rgb

post them on the web or print them to see the difference. It can be drastic...I dabbled in ProPhoto for a minute...and then went back because I kept forgetting to change the Color Space when I was going to post them somewhere...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)|YouTube (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,479 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 16, 2020 14:01 |  #37343

TRhoads wrote in post #19010684 (external link)
post them on the web or print them to see the difference. It can be drastic...I dabbled in ProPhoto for a minute...and then went back because I kept forgetting to change the Color Space when I was going to post them somewhere...

thanks , last event i did the client said she loved the photos except when she tried to print the colors looked horrible.. though she did try to print at home so i don't know what kind of printer / paper etc..

and from my own experience printing for my self on my canon x100pro(? or something like that) its always an adventure getting the colors right

going to have to experiment to see.. but i'll export this job in SRgb to be safe

My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,406 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 16, 2020 15:09 |  #37344

In Lr when you export the dialog window that pops up has different setting you can set . Be sure to check the one's you want and how you want them ...Make sure you have it set to Srgb .

In PS export by going to > file> save for web make sure its jpeg , optimized and image size you want, and quality is Bi cubic percent 100% Preview Monitor Color. Check the box for convert to Srgb. There's a tab set it to high as you have 5 options. You can play with that more you use it to see the differences in the file. Down on bottom left corner there is a preview tab , that will show you how your image will look out on web email etc. with all the settings you set before you hit the save button

You use other color spaces for printing... Here it gets a little tricky, you will work with your raws in the color profile your printer wants the files they will be printing for you ..

My Gear flickr (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,726 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 16, 2020 15:26 |  #37345

Are you using a Dell Ultrasharp. All monitors must be calibrated regardless of the colour support.

You will find the SRGB to be more spot on for your clients. You must also have some good relationships with a pro photo lab. Many photo labs DO NOT calibrate their machines when they fill it during the day. You will see this in the colour accuracy.

Another thing you must do is to assure the brightness of your monitor is matching your pro labs prints. Even a datacolour Spider 5 pro is cheap and it works extremely well for me.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,479 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 16, 2020 16:37 |  #37346

AlanU wrote in post #19010722 (external link)
Are you using a Dell Ultrasharp. All monitors must be calibrated regardless of the colour support.

You will find the SRGB to be more spot on for your clients. You must also have some good relationships with a pro photo lab. Many photo labs DO NOT calibrate their machines when they fill it during the day. You will see this in the colour accuracy.

Another thing you must do is to assure the brightness of your monitor is matching your pro labs prints. Even a datacolour Spider 5 pro is cheap and it works extremely well for me.

hmmm-? its a dell UP2716D

so i just switched my monitor from 'standard' to 'color space- srgb' .. and my photos went from punchy and vibrant to very flat and muted colors..

but wouldn't the average person who hires a photographer for an event or whatever just have their monitor on standard anyway?

ugh.. living in ignorance was so nice:lol:

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,726 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 16, 2020 16:49 |  #37347

rantercsr wrote in post #19010762 (external link)
hmmm-? its a dell UP2716D

so i just switched my monitor from 'standard' to 'color space- srgb' .. and my photos went from punchy and vibrant to very flat and muted colors..

but wouldn't the average person who hires a photographer for an event or whatever just have their monitor on standard anyway?

ugh.. living in ignorance was so nice:lol:

You should now always consider a high gamut monitor with at least 99-100+ % SRGB coverage. IPS panel so you can view with no disruption of contrast. Even my "fun" Samsung UR59C 32" curved screen has 103% SRGB coverage.

What is interesting is I find my calibrated monitors images looks identical to majority of all iphones displaying the same image.

When it comes to print, the lab is extremely the "make or break" in colours. Many labs will "TWEAK" the colours as the assume most people printing do not edit. All of my images I print are not modified whatsoever and they look perfect all of the time. Some print labs at your local drug store or cheap 1 hour developing shop can have DREADFUL garbage output.

Fuji - gone

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,406 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by Bianchi.

Feb 16, 2020 16:52 as a reply to  @ rantercsr's post |  #37348

I also have a Dell 27" Here's a file processed on my monitor thats a Jpeg - color space Srgb

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear flickr (external link)

Miranda1
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 16, 2020 17:31 |  #37349

My old companion, contemplating his day....

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, 135 GM,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
10,891 posts
Gallery: 1075 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 16, 2020 20:20 |  #37350

Ok, here is some Indian food I cooked from scratch the other day. Not the greatest shots as I never have time to style anything...everybody just wants to dig in.

But I do have a question: my Sony 90 mm G macro lens is nice but sometimes I want to attach a polarizer or whatever and that lens has no thread on it. Am I completely blind?

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from itsallart's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

sponsored links

6,183,813 views & 92,428 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.