Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Mar 2020 (Tuesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The future of crop sensor canon cameras? (7D line and beyond)

RodS57
979 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 10, 2020 21:38 |  #16

duckster wrote in post #19024427 (external link)
What year did the D500 come out? I am not a Nikon guy but isn't it a few years old now too?

Announced January 2016 from what I found
The 7D2 announced September 2014 and shipped late October. I received mine November 2

So, not a big difference time frame wise.
Do I want to buy a four year old body. No.
Will I if it is the only / best option. Yes.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,771 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Mar 10, 2020 21:39 |  #17

The mount changed because the data bus is different on the RF lenses. Canon was quite clear why they made a new mount when they introduced the R. RF lenses talk differently and at higher speeds (or greater throughput) than EF lenses on the mirrorless bodies.

There are other reasons too. The RF mount has a larger interior diameter than EF mounts, with the communications board for the lens pins taking up less internal real estate.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,240 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 10, 2020 22:16 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #18

It seemed most of the marketing Canon did for the R was optical advantages over EF (and it was more people trying to speculate what the extra contacts are for).

When it comes to DSLRs, we'll see. Canon is certainly still committed to DSLRs for the pro market. The 90D wasn't that long ago (and the 7D series always seems to have long periods from upgrade). The main speculation is if the R5 is a replacement mirrorless for the 5D series (Canon marketed the R as a 2nd camera for the 5D4). I think Canon might have the R&D of future DSLRs, but may not release when monitoring financials (they're in a better position for that than Nikon). We also have to be practical and consider continued hardships in production due to COVID-19.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,164 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 11, 2020 04:21 |  #19

Overread wrote in post #19024235 (external link)
So I've been out of the camera buying loop for a while and I've not kept up with all the release information. I have picked up that the 7D line has ended with no 7DMIII being released. Canon has released the 90D, however that appears to be pretty much just the xxD line advancing and misses some of the rugged features that the 7D line had.

Some reputable reviews are now coming out about the 90D. It's a mixture of good and bad driving the buyer to make compromises.

See https://www.imaging-resource.com …/canon-90d/canon-90dA.HTM (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,621 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 11, 2020 04:22 |  #20

duckster wrote in post #19024427 (external link)
What year did the D500 come out? I am not a Nikon guy but isn't it a few years old now too?

It's old. It is very good. To me, the latter is all that matters.
If anything it's age makes it more appealing, the older a camera I would consider buying is, the more field testing it has undergone proving it's reliability.

Dave
Image editing OK

PentaxShooter
If I need RAW, I want all the RAW I can get
349 posts
Joined Jun 2019

Mar 11, 2020 04:42 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Choderboy wrote in post #19024551 (external link)
It's old. It is very good. To me, the latter is all that matters.
If anything it's age makes it more appealing, the older a camera I would consider buying is, the more field testing it has undergone proving it's reliability.

This is the exact logic that lead me to buy a second copy of the Pentax 645N.

80D, bag of lenses, box of lights, other toys.

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
16,335 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 12, 2020 12:08 |  #22

If you watch the trends the 5R is the 5D replacement. The R already has a crop mode and I'm sure the R5 will. Plenty of FPS for sports/wildlife. You can crop quite a bit with todays sensors not to mention TC's. Plenty out there using 1D's for wildlife and sports.

If we see a 7D3 it won't have a shutter but I doubt it. Canon has taken the bull by the horns with RF lenses and I don't see any RF-S lens rumours. Why release multiple crop sizes when sales are lagging for the whole industry. I think the 7D2 was the last one in that class and the XXD will carry on for a while with more of a push towards the M bodies. Eventually the DSLR will be a dinosaur. I see the pro version 1D and variations of the R and M bodies.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
16,335 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 12, 2020 12:15 |  #23

Just to add variations of the R may not be called that but will be FF. Saves on future production of crop sensors. Just press the crop button in the menu.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Canonuser123
831 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 12, 2020 12:29 |  #24

I am guessing that there will be an R7 crop body camera and an R1 pro body in the future.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,180 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2020 14:11 |  #25

digital paradise wrote in post #19025364 (external link)
If we see a 7D3 it won't have a shutter but I doubt it. Canon has taken the bull by the horns with RF lenses and I don't see any RF-S lens rumours. .

The 7DIII won't have a shutter...when even the Sony A9 needs a mechanical shutter to shoot with electronic flash?!
So 7DIII users will never need flash?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
43,180 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2020 14:16 |  #26

digital paradise wrote in post #19025366 (external link)
Just to add variations of the R may not be called that but will be FF. Saves on future production of crop sensors. Just press the crop button in the menu.

But it is much easier, and therefore cheaper, to make a sufficiently defect-free semiconductor that occupies about 340 sq.mm area, rather than a semicondutor that occupies about 870 sq.mm (sensitive area plus some overhead for read circuitry) The yield rate (percentage of tested-good circuits) is better for smaller area semiconductors...simpl​e fact of semiconductor manufacture. It is why originally the APS-C sensors preceded FF sensors by so much time (and Nikon had a harder time of that, than did Canon).

So if Canon wants more 'mass market' business than 'true photoenthusiast' business, to maximize net profit, I think mirrorless APS-C is inevitable...the average Joe or Jane on the street could care less about having a big sensor, as smartphones exhibit. Same for the popularity of cameras having the 110 film format.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,234 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined May 2008

Mar 14, 2020 06:18 |  #27

Wilt wrote in post #19025416 (external link)
But it is much easier, and therefore cheaper, to make a sufficiently defect-free semiconductor that occupies about 340 sq.mm area, rather than a semicondutor that occupies about 870 sq.mm (sensitive area plus some overhead for read circuitry) The yield rate (percentage of tested-good circuits) is better for smaller area semiconductors...simpl​e fact of semiconductor manufacture. It is why originally the APS-C sensors preceded FF sensors by so much time (and Nikon had a harder time of that, than did Canon).

So if Canon wants more 'mass market' business than 'true photoenthusiast' business, to maximize net profit, I think mirrorless APS-C is inevitable...the average Joe or Jane on the street could care less about having a big sensor, as smartphones exhibit. Same for the popularity of cameras having the 110 film format.

Mirrorless APS-C is already here in the Canon lineup. It's called the M series.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,971 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 4 months ago by gjl711.

Mar 14, 2020 07:31 |  #28

Scott M wrote in post #19026492 (external link)
Mirrorless APS-C is already here in the Canon lineup. It's called the M series.

I'm guessing that the M series is a dead end. Clearly Canon is not putting the same resources behind the M as they are with the RF mount. After 8 years or so we have what? 8 lenses and no new lenses rumored. Last new lens was 2 years ago. The RF mount is only 2 years old and they have 11 or so lenses already with more being introduced this year. I'm thinking that sometime in the near future we are going to see a RF mount crop camera.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,771 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 14, 2020 10:42 |  #29

Canon has indeed said they are actively supporting the M line at least the body side. It is a very popular model line. R and RP, and M50 and M6II. One for one on FF vs APS C mirrorless, with 2 new rumored bodies yet. The R5 will come out and there will be an M50 successor also announced probably around that time.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Wilt
43,180 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 14, 2020 16:43 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #30

You're right...I tend to forget about the M series due to its lack of popularity outside of Japan.

But I was thinking about R-mount lens acceptance in an APS-C format body.

sponsored links

1,938 views & 6 likes for this thread
The future of crop sensor canon cameras? (7D line and beyond)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.