Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Mar 2020 (Thursday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Coronavirus General Discussion (no politics, no flamewars!)

this thread is locked
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,344 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 23, 2020 16:40 |  #706

Wilt wrote in post #19032257 (external link)
Well, up to now the authorities around the SF Bay counties have not been very authoritarian either, with the exception of enforcement of the businesses that are truly 'necessary'. The private citizen has had it fairly lenient. But then the private citizen comes along to screw it all up for themselves by failing to adhere to the spirit of the order.
So authorities have taken the passive agressive enforcement..."OK since you cannot police yourself, we will simply CLOSE THE PARKS and BEACHES!"
I wonder how long before authorities being to issue citations to people, for continuing and repeated failure to comply?!

yeah people didn't really adhere to the whole don't leave your county unless it's essential stuff...apparently point reyes had more people out there than a typical holiday weekend.

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,155 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 23, 2020 16:42 as a reply to  @ post 19032248 |  #707

OTOH, we are waiting to see what benefit, if any, are derived from the social distancing order, the shutdown of schools and most businesses. CA led the way with that, so hopefully we will begin to see a flattened curve for that sacrifice of so very much. It would truly be sad to see little benefit, in return for the damage to business and personal income.
The benefits have been seen in Hong Kong, South Korea, and a couple more locations, but the flattened curve apparently was accomplished by shutting down most everything in Singapore! Theirs seems to be the ideal situation for everyone to perhaps mimic (said without any insight at all to what happened there!)...control without the economic harm.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
10,891 posts
Gallery: 1075 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 23, 2020 16:44 |  #708

AnnieMacD wrote in post #19032255 (external link)
Wow, that's pretty scary, Renata. Hope you are staying home - be safe!

Annie, I've been home for over 2 weeks now. Being 67, though very healthy, I'm too old and too smart to expose myself to Covid 19. Running my classes online, making face masks with special filters for hospitals that are short of, going for long walks, etc.
You stay healthy as well ߘ

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,518 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 23, 2020 16:45 |  #709

Wilt wrote in post #19032257 (external link)
Well, up to now the authorities around the SF Bay counties have not been very authoritarian either, with the exception of enforcement of the businesses that are truly 'necessary'. The private citizen has had it fairly lenient. But then the private citizen comes along to screw it all up for themselves by failing to adhere to the spirit of the order.
So authorities have taken the passive agressive enforcement..."OK since you cannot police yourself, we will simply CLOSE THE PARKS and BEACHES!"
I wonder how long before authorities being to issue citations to people, for continuing and repeated failure to comply?!

Don't know. The big problem is that people who just defy/ignore the order will continue meeting even if you close parks+beaches, but will just do it somewhere else/somewhere private, and some may become a time-bomb when things start returning to normal.

Apricane IG Portraits (external link) IG Travel/Street (external link)
a7 III | 1.8/35 | 1.8/55 ZA | 1.8/85 | Tmr 2.8/28-75 | Tmr 2.8/70-180 | E 70-350 G
EOS M6 | 2/22 | 2.8/40 | 15-85
Capture One | Affinity Photo | ACDSee | Bridge

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
16,267 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 23, 2020 16:45 |  #710

Apricane wrote in post #19032254 (external link)
Did you have anything there?

Fortunately no.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Wilt
43,155 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 23, 2020 16:50 |  #711

Apricane wrote in post #19032268 (external link)
Don't know. The big problem is that people who just defy/ignore the order will continue meeting even if you close parks+beaches, but will just do it somewhere else/somewhere private, and some may become a time-bomb when things start returning to normal.

It may be that a fundamental difference is in the Asian societies where concern for the well-being of the society around the individual is tantamount
For example, I saw medical masks routinely worn in Japan 40 years ago...sick people (maybe nothing more than a common cold) wearing the mask for the benefit of everyone around them!

In comparison, "It's my right..." is the prevalent attitude outside of Asia

That may well be the undoing of so many different Western societies via coronavirus...the responsibility is not taken until it is forced upon you.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
10,891 posts
Gallery: 1075 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 23, 2020 16:52 |  #712

And in the meantime I read this: Trump Mulls Easing Social Distancing to Boost Economy https://www.wsj.com …boost-economy-11584986183 (external link)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,518 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Apricane.

Mar 23, 2020 16:53 |  #713

Wilt wrote in post #19032276 (external link)
It may be that a fundamental difference is in the Asian societies where concern for the well-being of the society around the individual is tantamount
For example, I saw medical masks routinely worn in Japan 40 years ago...sick people (maybe nothing more than a common cold) wearing the mask for the benefit of everyone around them!

In comparison, "It's my right..." is the prevalent attitude outside of Asia

Sadly so, yeah, to different degrees. At least last Tuesday people weren't trying to go to the pub for St. Patrick...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Though only time will tell if my going, like some others, to the liquor for a last-minute alternative fix will have proven to be a mistake.

a7 III | 1.8/35 | 1.8/55 ZA | 1.8/85 | Tmr 2.8/28-75 | Tmr 2.8/70-180 | E 70-350 G

SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 23, 2020 16:55 |  #714

digital paradise wrote in post #19032251 (external link)
Just got an email from Canon...

I'm getting crap like that from every list I'm on, and it's largely stupid.

I got an email from Canon Imaging because I registered my PRO-100,
and it said something about "What we're doing to protect you from coronavirus".

I got email from the credit union which holds my car loan, and it said
"What we're doing to protect you from coronavirus".
I've never been in one of their branch locations.

I got an email from another internet forum, and it said
I know none of them personally.

I got an email from my own credit union AND a bank who hold my accounts; it said

I got multiple emails from Adorama, B&H, Monoprice and others retailers,
all from "The CEO", telling me about
"What we're doing to protect you from coronavirus"
I've never visited their retail locations.

I've even received emails from a couple of eBay sellers whom I purchased
exactly once from, many years ago, which also tell me
I've never met them, nor have I visited their indicated locations.

Nice of CPS to apprise you of the situation, however.
Do they have anything of yours?

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Σ10-20|Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,518 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 23, 2020 16:58 |  #715

SkedAddled wrote in post #19032280 (external link)
I'm getting crap like that from every list I'm on, and it's largely stupid.

I got an email from Canon Imaging because I registered my PRO-100,
and it said something about "What we're doing to protect you from coronavirus".

I got email from the credit union which holds my car loan, and it said
I've never been in one of their branch locations.

I got an email from another internet forum, and it said
I know none of them personally.

I got an email from my own credit union AND a bank who hold my accounts; it said

I got multiple emails from Adorama, B&H, Monoprice and others retailers,
all from "The CEO", telling me about
I've never visited their retail locations.

I've even received emails from a couple of eBay sellers whom I purchased
exactly once from, many years ago, which also tell me
I've never met them, nor have I visited their indicated locations.

Nice of CPS to apprise you of the situation, however.
Do they have anything of yours?

Well technically for B&H the coronavirus can live, apparently, on cardboard boxes for some time. Plus, in a place like GoodFood (an equivalent to HelloChef), these messages make sense as they are handling our food...and are many people's (certainly mine) main source of food.

In the same spirit, though, I got this message from my phone & internet provider lol. Not sure how they could infect me with coronavirus, unless they're still dumb enough to send agents to people's homes to install cable during a pandemic.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
3,885 posts
Gallery: 1701 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2020 17:01 |  #716

Chinese and US researchers seem to have found how SARS-CoV-2 binds to human cell surfaces.
Apparently, it binds to the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE2) with those "crown proteins" that give the name "coronavirus". The article suggests antibodies could be made to target those proteins.

https://cen.acs.org …man-target/98/web/2020/03 (external link)

I wonder if certain blood pressure medications may inhibit the virus? Some of them are ACE inhibitors, and may block the same site. I think someone in China has the same thought because my WeChat feed had a lecture about small peptides inhibiting the virus, and I know there are small peptides that inhibit ACE ( Lee,S-J; Kim, Y-S; Kim, S-E; Kim, E-K; Hwang, J-W; Park, T-K; Kim, B.K; Moon, S-H; Jeon, B-T; Jeon, Y-J; Ahn, C-B; Je, J-Y, Park, P-J. Purification and Characterization of a Novel Angiotensin I-Converting Enzyme Inhibitory Peptide Derived from an Enzymatic Hydrolysate of Duck Skin Byproducts. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2012, 60, 10035-10040). This is my thought, it hasn't been tested, don't take blood pressure medications for this!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,344 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 23, 2020 17:03 |  #717

Wilt wrote in post #19032264 (external link)
OTOH, we are waiting to see what benefit, if any, are derived from the social distancing order, the shutdown of schools and most businesses. CA led the way with that, so hopefully we will begin to see a flattened curve for that sacrifice of so very much. It would truly be sad to see little benefit, in return for the damage to business and personal income.
The benefits have been seen in Hong Kong, South Korea, and a couple more locations, but the flattened curve apparently was accomplished by shutting down most everything in Singapore! Theirs seems to be the ideal situation for everyone to perhaps mimic (said without any insight at all to what happened there!)...control without the economic harm.

looking at new cases for california vs new york is kinda crazy...new yorks numbers are going off the charts

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,518 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 23, 2020 17:10 |  #718

DreDaze wrote in post #19032286 (external link)
looking at new cases for california vs new york is kinda crazy...new yorks numbers are going off the charts

Yeah, the map for the US on JHU's tracking site is very scary (especially now that they track numbers by city).

On a more positive note, here's an article from the Atlantic on how Denmark is handling/is planning to handle economic recovery: https://www.theatlanti​c.com …?utm_source=poc​ket-newtab (external link)

Wilt
43,155 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 23, 2020 17:15 |  #719

itsallart wrote in post #19032278 (external link)
And in the meantime I read this: Trump Mulls Easing Social Distancing to Boost Economy https://www.wsj.com …boost-economy-11584986183 (external link)

I'm not a lover of our current leadership. However, my wife and I have had discussions about the cost vs. the benefit that might (or might not) be had. No conclusions, just pondering. If that is the purpose of Trump mulling, it is a good thing to do, to second guess yourself rather that assume the right course of action has been taken.

I suppose one way to look at it is that whether or not a country takes measures to control its societal interaction, the coronavirus WILL take down a society financially.
If one has taken measures to control societal interaction, HOPEFULLY it will come to fruit as a reduced case load, as China has apparently accomplished ultimately.
OTOH, if it can be done without the harm to business and personal finances, as apparently Singapore managed to accomplish, that might be the better approach to take.

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,518 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 23, 2020 17:17 |  #720

Wilt wrote in post #19032293 (external link)
I'm not a lover of our current leadership. However, my wife and I have had discussions about the cost vs. the benefit that might (or might not) be had. No conclusions, just pondering. If that is the purpose of Trump mulling, it is a good thing to do, to second guess yourself rather that assume the right course of action has been taken.

I suppose one way to look at it is that whether or not a country takes measures to control its societal interaction, the coronavirus WILL take down a society financially.
If one has taken measures to control societal interaction, HOPEFULLY it will come to fruit as a reduced case load, as China has apparently accomplished ultimately.
OTOH, if it can be done without the harm to business and personal finances, as apparently Singapore managed to accomplish, that might be the better approach to take.

You might find the article I posted just above your post interesting: in a very segmented political environment, Denmark went completely the other way (it's discussed towards the end of the article), and acted rapidly.

sponsored links

77,535 views & 1,500 likes for this thread
Coronavirus General Discussion (no politics, no flamewars!)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.