Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 27 Apr 2018 (Friday) 01:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aviation, post your photos

Jonzjob
576 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Location: Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire, Blighty

Mar 24, 2020 03:42 |  #211

Before we moved to France I was a volunteer on the ex R.A.F. Britannia XM496 at Kemble, Gloucestershire. The Bristol Air Museum was in one of the hangers there at the time along with several bits from the Concord developement and as a member of the Brit team we were given free range in the museum. Brian Trubshaw gave a talk on the Concord developement one early evening and a big part was the problems with the intakes. The air has to be slowed to sub-sonic before hitting the entry guide vanes and the intake had to be variable to slow it down and it was a nightmare to design. He was a very good talker and there were only about a dozen of us there. very informal and we were just stood by him and wandering around as he pointed out the various things and answered questions.

I remember him saying that the USAF supersonic fighters would practice mock attacks on Concords on the USA flights, but could only keep up with it for a short while as they burnt so much fuel at supersonic as they had to use reheat to get there. Concord of course flew at 1400 mph without reheat.

It's a great shame the Mk2 was never developed. It was to be a lot bigger, quieter and more comfortable. The noise was because it used modified Avro Vulcan RR Olympic engines, non bypass jobbies.

Sorry, but I think I have posted these before, but a while back and it's an ilustration of the Mk2

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
https://johnamandiers.​wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1 (external link)
John.

sponsored links
Phoenixuk
384 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited 12 days ago by Phoenixuk.

Mar 24, 2020 06:31 |  #212

Jonzjob wrote in post #19032094 (external link)
Ex R.A.F. Hunter called, if I remember correctly 'Indiscretion' and apparently a real cow to work on. If a panel was removed the caw was mating up the colour for the screw heads! Owned by the now defunct Delta Jets on the ex MOD airfield Kemble. Contrary to beliefs it was never an R.A.F. station, no idea why?

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jonzjob in
./showthread.php?p=190​32094&i=i266697719
forum: Transportation

Very eye catching never the less.:-P It was supposed to depict the dark of space at the blunt end going through the brightness of the sun at the sharper bit.

I think it is called Miss Demeanour. Following the Shoreham Airshow incident it was sold to Canada in 2017 but apparently it isn't being displayed anymore. :-(

I thought that Kemble was an RAF station, certainly the Red Arrows were based there at one time. I send my students there on their first solo land away now called Cotswold Airport!

Mark

Phoenixuk
384 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 24, 2020 12:34 as a reply to  @ post 19032094 |  #213

A couple of snaps from Kemble for JonzJob. An old Red Arrows Folland Gnat marking their tenure at Kemble and a shot of the Control Tower both taken back in 2005! Doesn't seem that long ago! I'll take some new ones next time I'm there!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

Jonzjob
576 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 24, 2020 13:17 |  #214

Phoenixuk wrote in post #19032599 (external link)
I think it is called Miss Demeanour. Following the Shoreham Airshow incident it was sold to Canada in 2017 but apparently it isn't being displayed anymore. :-(

I thought that Kemble was an RAF station, certainly the Red Arrows were based there at one time. I send my students there on their first solo land away now called Cotswold Airport!

You are quite right Mark. I knew that it didn't sound right when I tryped it? I was never any good at remembering names Fred :rolleyes:

It's strange about the official status of Kemble, but as far as I am aware it was never R.A.F. Kemble. The Reds were there for quite a while weren't they, so why it wasn't R.A.F. I have no idea.

I have to admit that I didn't question what I was told by someone who was there when it was an active services station and he said that although it was always thought to be it wasn't officially R.A.F. Looking at the history I may have to admit to be telling porkies about that too -?

If you remember the couple of photos I posted, one of the Jumbo doing a chandel, they were taken from the tower. they were kind enough to let me up there quite often as I was working on XM496

This is the site for her. when/if I ever get the time to get back there I ill be working on her yet again for the third time since the early 60s.

https://www.xm496.com/ (external link)

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
John.

Phoenixuk
384 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 24, 2020 14:09 as a reply to  @ Jonzjob's post |  #215

Thanks for that John. I didn’t realise that such an iconic aeroplane was there! Once the world returns to a semblance of normality I shall fly down on one of their open days and visit!

Mark

Jonzjob
576 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 24, 2020 18:34 |  #216

Phoenixuk wrote in post #19032800 (external link)
Thanks for that John. I didn’t realise that such an iconic aeroplane was there! Once the world returns to a semblance of normality I shall fly down on one of their open days and visit!

I always wanted to learn to fly, but couldn't afford it on a megre Sgts pay, so I took up RC model gliders. Now when I'm asked why I didn't take up full size my stock reply is that I have seen how I land :oops::eek:

One of my models, a Fougar Magistair. It's a glider too and looks good in the air

HOSTED PHOTO

John.

dangermoney
374 posts
Joined Mar 2019
Post edited 11 days ago by dangermoney. (2 edits in all)

Mar 25, 2020 09:50 |  #217

Jonzjob wrote in post #19032555 (external link)
Before we moved to France I was a volunteer on the ex R.A.F. Britannia XM496 at Kemble, Gloucestershire. The Bristol Air Museum was in one of the hangers there at the time along with several bits from the Concord developement and as a member of the Brit team we were given free range in the museum. Brian Trubshaw gave a talk on the Concord developement one early evening and a big part was the problems with the intakes. The air has to be slowed to sub-sonic before hitting the entry guide vanes and the intake had to be variable to slow it down and it was a nightmare to design. He was a very good talker and there were only about a dozen of us there. very informal and we were just stood by him and wandering around as he pointed out the various things and answered questions.

I remember him saying that the USAF supersonic fighters would practice mock attacks on Concords on the USA flights, but could only keep up with it for a short while as they burnt so much fuel at supersonic as they had to use reheat to get there. Concord of course flew at 1400 mph without reheat.

It's a great shame the Mk2 was never developed. It was to be a lot bigger, quieter and more comfortable. The noise was because it used modified Avro Vulcan RR Olympic engines, non bypass jobbies.

Sorry, but I think I have posted these before, but a while back and it's an ilustration of the Mk2

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​32555&i=i263617836

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​32555&i=i91308037

Thanks for the history lesson. Very interesting.

When I was at the Museum of Flight in Seattle they had their Concord open for walk-throughs. I was surprised at how small it was.

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/TBDNPP6.jpg

TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
4,252 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 25, 2020 10:13 |  #218

Jonzjob wrote in post #19032555 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​32555&i=i263617836

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​32555&i=i91308037

There are so many great stories and history around the Concorde. I remember many years ago now, listening to an interview with one of the pilots; he said that on the days he'd fly London/Heathrow - NYC, he'd have three breakfasts - one before he left home, one on the aircraft, and again once he got into the city, because it was still morning !

I'm mainly here for the snacks

dangermoney
374 posts
Joined Mar 2019
Post edited 11 days ago by dangermoney.

Mar 25, 2020 17:54 |  #219

Some more Concord photos from the day they had it open. These JPEGs are from the P&S I owned at the time.

Looking rearward from the staircase leading to the entrance:

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/XvXhyEt.jpg

Looking rearward once inside:

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/u1NT69G.jpg

Looking forward:

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/5kPXW85.jpg

Looking through the plexiglass barrier preventing access to the cockpit.

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/htP49n5.jpg

Shots from the front exit:

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/lc4BGOl.jpg

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/uK50qpa.jpg

Back of the Olympics

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/eiDQs5E.jpg

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/zcGw1Sk.jpg

Canonuser123
821 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 25, 2020 18:23 |  #220

The only times I ever saw a Concord was when I used to live in Greece, I could see them pretty close up just looking out the window of the house. I didn’t have a good camera back then, I was still pretty young but It was always a thrill to see one.

Jonzjob
576 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 25, 2020 18:24 |  #221

747 at Kemble

HOSTED PHOTO

Glider version?

John.

Phoenixuk
384 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 25, 2020 18:40 |  #222

These are pictures of the Concorde at the Brooklands Museum. I live 16nm west of Heathrow and really miss Concorde going over. Even after many years when it would go over at 11 o’clock in the morning people would stop and look up at it. It is such a beautiful aeroplane!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
4,252 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 26, 2020 00:05 |  #223

Phoenixuk wrote in post #19033572 (external link)
These are pictures of the Concorde at the Brooklands Museum. I live 16nm west of Heathrow and really miss Concorde going over. Even after many years when it would go over at 11 o’clock in the morning people would stop and look up at it. It is such a beautiful aeroplane!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Phoenixuk in
./showthread.php?p=190​33572&i=i112989871

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Phoenixuk in
./showthread.php?p=190​33572&i=i35112564

Great stuff, I’ve had the pleasure of visiting the Brooklands Museum, unfortunately our stay was way too short, I hope to return soon. There’s so much to see!

I'm mainly here for the snacks

Lubos-PM
552 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Mar 26, 2020 05:06 |  #224

L-13AC Blaník

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Jonzjob
576 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 26, 2020 06:21 |  #225

That is the only glider I have flown in and it was a lovely experience too! There aren't many around as they are all aluminium and seem to have got to the end, or near, of the airframe stress life. At least I believe that's the case here in Blighty?

Lovely photos mate and looking at the top one he's just about finished turning finals. Coming out of the turn at least?

John.

sponsored links

36,308 views & 1,223 likes for this thread
Aviation, post your photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.