Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2020 (Saturday) 16:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"You Have a Great Camera!"

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,769 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited 11 months ago by SYS.

Apr 04, 2020 16:48 |  #1

This was a big compliment that I just received after posting a few of my wildlife photos on one of my FB groups that I'm a member of. I cringed at first upon receiving the compliment, then knowing that the person meant well, I thanked her for the comment.

Lately, since I'm home bound with lots of free time on hand, I've been going through some of my old photo archives and re-editing them. The following photos for which I received the compliment were taken in 2007 -- with my "great camera," Canon 20D. And I'm not using the quotation marks around the phrase as an expression of snide sarcasm but because the 20D was indeed a great camera -- at the time, that is. For birding and wildlife, it was often paired with the original 100-400L and they brought me much joy. The compliment that I received was spot on.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links
goalerjones
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2018

Apr 04, 2020 17:43 |  #2

It's funny, I returned to photography after a 25 year hiatus and bought a 5D Mk2. Then the GAS set in and it wasn't enough so up the ladder I went. Then, when my wife said, "reduce your inventory" so I could justify new lenses, i went back out to get images with it so I could post them when selling.

I was surprised by what I was seeing from that "inferior" camera. My understanding had grown quite a bit, the camera didn't change.

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,769 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 04, 2020 17:55 |  #3

goalerjones wrote in post #19040587 (external link)
It's funny, I returned to photography after a 25 year hiatus and bought a 5D Mk2. Then the GAS set in and it wasn't enough so up the ladder I went. Then, when my wife said, "reduce your inventory" so I could justify new lenses, i went back out to get images with it so I could post them when selling.

I was surprised by what I was seeing from that "inferior" camera. My understanding had grown quite a bit, the camera didn't change.

Everything changes but most evident is myself.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,175 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 04, 2020 18:10 |  #4

Just keep in mind they are trying to compliment the quality of your image, they just don't have the understanding to say it right. You can always respond with something along the lines of "your oven makes great cookies".

lynmay
128 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 04, 2020 23:39 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #5

Totally understand. My family does this to me all the time. I'll share a really nice image that
took time, patience and processing and the response is, "Must be nice to spend time taking
pictures and have a nice camera and lens."

My response after years of doing the work professionally and dealing with my family,
"It sure is!"

lyn
Capturing the illusions of time... Canon 6D, 80D, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 55-250 STM, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-300 L IS, 100-400L II Kenko 1.4X PRO 300 Tx DGX, Canon Tele 1.4X III

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Joined Jan 2020

Apr 05, 2020 00:27 |  #6

A photographer went to a socialite party in New York.
As he entered the front door, the host said "I love your pictures - they're wonderful; you must have a fantastic camera."
He said nothing until the dinner was finished , then "That was a wonderful dinner; you must have a terrific stove."

Sam Haskins

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 11 months ago by Tronhard. (6 edits in all)

Apr 05, 2020 00:48 |  #7

goalerjones wrote in post #19040587 (external link)

I was given a book on the history of photography while I was laid up after knee surgery: "Photography, the Definitive Visual History" by Tom Ang.
I was intrigued to see the Canon D30 on a double-page spread, highlighted because it was their first APS-C CMOS sensor DSLR to be essentially built from the ground up - previous ones had Kodak internal components, or were tiny. It was introduced in 2000 and caused a massive stir.

I looked up the DPReview site and found two articles reviewing the camera, both of which were highly complementary.
The original review: https://www.dpreview.c​om/reviews/canond30 (external link)
The throwback review: https://www.dpreview.c​om/articles/63...-canon-eos-d30 - DPR have killed that one! -?

Recently I found a reference to an article from the Luminous Landscape website, by the respected photographer (the now late) Michael Reichmann. You may be able to view this for one time by going to this site:
https://luminous-landscape.com/d30-vs-film/ (external link) After that, if you are not a member it may block most of the article.

In this article he makes an effort to compare the output from the D30 with that of a film camera, using the same lens on both units. While perhaps not having the full academic rigor, his process seems sound and has been backed up by other authoritative sources. I was surprised at the results:

Here is a video with some more of his reflections (and an interesting look back in history at how digital tech was viewed in those days).
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=0LWSV6dlH_U (external link)

So, I wondered how much one of these would cost and I picked one up on eBay, never used, for $30US. The reason it was unused was because the otherwise pristine body was scored across the back - apparently an unpacking accident. It had lain in a display case until it was retired. I picked up another body for spares that had a perfect case ($25US) and had Canon pair the two and give it a good clean. They confirmed the original body had no wear at all.

I took it out for a test run with the EF17-40L lens. The following images were taken in dim light, hand-held with very light post processing.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Tronhard's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Tronhard's gallery.

Frankly, for publishing on the web (which is most of what I, and many others do) I think this 3.2MP camera does a great job.

For the heck of it I bought the Canon D60 (predictably a 6MP sensor) with lens for about $60US, and that does a great job too!

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,690 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited 10 months ago by Archibald.

Apr 05, 2020 00:50 |  #8

It is certainly an insult to attribute the quality of a photo to the camera.

On the other hand, many of us drool over the next release announcement. We love our gear and do analyze every DR, burst rate and pixel to prove it is better.

As an old boss once said to me (on an entirely different subject), you can't do it with your fingers. We need good gear and it does help the photos. We just don't want our friends to say it was the gear.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,955 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Apr 05, 2020 18:04 |  #9

I have expressed this same point previously, in somewhat different context, but used in this thread context...

I could be the collector-owner of a great Stradavarius, but if I am not a very good violinist, I could never make it sound nearly s good as its potential!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,924 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 13, 2020 11:38 |  #10

In the first photo, that shallow depth of field that so nicely isolates the ram from the background would not have been achieved with a point and shoot, or with a cell phone camera. . So there are some nice images that the camera is, in part, responsible for the quality of the aesthetics.

These discussions about whether it is the camera or the photographer that is responsible for a quality image usually result in me concluding that it was both the camera and the photographer that are responsible for the quality results. . Of course, when I say, "camera", I mean both the camera and the lens ...... which I suspect is what most people mean when they use the word "camera" in this context.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

greyswan
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 29, 2020 03:08 |  #11

To me, the implication of 'you must have a great camera' is that I have good equipment and I know how to use it well - which is what most people mean if they are being sincere - and that's easy enough to tell from the tone of voice.

I take compliments as meant. Being a princess and parsing the speaker's words beyond their implied meaning is not worth my energy. If it's sarcasm, I reply in kind or walk away.

I do have great cameras as well - all older, used equipment bought for cheap.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,910 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 11, 2020 21:53 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #12

Thing is amigo, it is both, but today, it is a lot the camera. With things like eye focus, nailing focus has become rather pedestrian. Let my son take my A7 III out the other night, he was shooting street slinging, the images were unheard of good, and I had him green box it. Stuff came out that would have been nearly impossible 10 years ago. While I get the technical side of photography, he has a great eye for a story. In his case, he is letting the camera decide technically what the image is, and he determines the subject. He is capturing images he has no business capturing based on his "skill".

So while I hate the "you must have a great camera" comments, you do have to give the camera some of its due. You still need to be able to find great content, but for the most part, the camera will do the rest itself.

Teton
241 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jul 2019

Jun 12, 2020 18:54 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #13

When people are saying "you must have a great camera", they are implying that it's a great photograph. Better than a poke in the eye with a monopod.

sponsored links

1,772 views & 28 likes for this thread
"You Have a Great Camera!"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.