Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Mar 2020 (Wednesday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still have 8 digits left
17,457 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 11 months ago by digital paradise.

Apr 10, 2020 13:21 |  #46

Starting to feel a little cooped up. Ordered a new external drive and this was my reaction when it came. Things are getting bad. :-)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=kOTDn2A7hcY (external link)

Trying to help the economy but these are just small dents. We have hated all our toasters. We ordered a high end one that is coming on Monday. I'm sure my wife and I will do the dance.

Decided to change my website domain name as I thought it was impersonal and ordered new cards. Tried out C1 Pro again. Resurrected Topaz Sharpen AI and purchased Sharpen AI. Watched these videos.

https://www.youtube.co​m …J5Hvhmac&featur​e=youtu.be (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=3NQEtWITulI (external link)

I re-watched these videos as well.

https://backcountrygal​lery.com …se-reduction-using-lr-ps/ (external link)

Bought paint 2 weeks ago. Still looking at the can. Once the weather breaks and we can open windows we'll get going.

We decided to re-watch seasons 1 and 2 of Ozark before doing 3. One of our favourites. Bateman is pretty talented. Right up there with Seth MacFarlane who is one of my favourites. I could watch A Million Ways to Die in the West 50 times. I like the bit about people not smiling in those days when they had their portrait taken. Not sure where he comes up with this stuff.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=8SslNMLO0tw (external link)

Started a new Netflix series Duty/Shame since were in both Japan and London. It is actually pretty good. Warning. It may not suite everyone. Read up on it first.

If any is into Killing Eve the new season starts Sunday. Jett (only 1 season so far is pretty good too. It is on Crave for those who have it but with all this streaming these days I'm sure it is available somewhere else.

Besides going for walks and drives that is about it. We go for walks with friends. We meet somewhere and maintain the SD rules.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,959 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Apr 10, 2020 13:47 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #47

Hope your weather breaks soon, so that you can apply paint and open the windows, then you and your wife can watch the paint dry!
Be sure to watch closely for changes in sheen and in color as it dries. "Fascinating!", as Spock would often say.

:p

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 10, 2020 13:59 |  #48

Wilt wrote in post #19044094 (external link)
Hope your weather breaks soon, so that you can apply paint and open the windows, then you and your wife can watch the paint dry!
Be sure to watch closely for changes in sheen and in color as it dries. Fascinating.

It is getting to the point where watching paint dry may be the highlight of the day. What did people do before TV, social media and Amazon? The rich spent hours dressing up for lavish dinner parties. The poor worked all day for food and sat around the fireplace and told stories which was is how vital information was passed on. About 20 years ago I read that if you read one entire edition of the New York Times you would get more information than an average person would in a lifetime. Some people actually went to the Amazon.

Image Editing OK

Wilt
43,959 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Apr 10, 2020 14:04 |  #49

digital paradise wrote in post #19044105 (external link)
Some people actually went to the Amazon.

Now you cannot get to the Amazon readily. How time changes...now Amazon comes to you, free if you have Prime.

Now if only the broadcast networks would get it thru their heads that including time for 10-50 year old sporting events to be rebroadcast, and putting filler old sports news or 'cute kids in sports' or even 'tricks/stunts in sporting accomplishments' needs to be eliminated as useless filler.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 10, 2020 14:31 |  #50

Wilt wrote in post #19044106 (external link)
Now you cannot get to the Amazon readily. How time changes...now Amazon comes to you, free if you have Prime.

Now if only the broadcast networks would get it thru their heads that including time for 10-50 year old sporting events to be rebroadcast, and putting filler old sports news or 'cute kids in sports' or even 'tricks/stunts in sporting accomplishments' needs to be eliminated as useless filler.

I'm watching some rewind NHL Stanley cup series games. Things were sure different. Blatant slashing, holding, high sticking, etc often all in one minute and no calls.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 10, 2020 14:35 |  #51

Wilt wrote in post #19044094 (external link)
Be sure to watch closely for changes in sheen and in color as it dries. "Fascinating!", as Spock would often say.

Forgot to say. That and to get out and do some shooting.

Image Editing OK

Wilt
43,959 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 10, 2020 15:08 |  #52

Watch out...Going out shooting has been known to cause a recurrance of GAS

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 10, 2020 16:13 |  #53

Wilt wrote in post #19044139 (external link)
Watch out...Going out shooting has been known to cause a recurrance of GAS

I’m already feeling the pressure build for the R5 and the 100-500 depending on the IQ of the glass. I’m trying to decide on which one of my wife’s organs I’m going to sell.

Image Editing OK

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,690 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 10, 2020 17:49 |  #54

One thing I decided to do while confined at home is to do an integrity check of my backup files. I have around 3 TB of files backed up to three 4 TB hard drives. Some of the files on those disks were written many years ago. They just sit there, presumably doing nothing and not changing. But who knows, maybe they are slowly and silently decaying.

A year or so ago I was quite surprised to discover, by chance, a couple of JPG files that were corrupt. They had those awful colored bands. I was able to find uncorrupted versions and replaced them, but then started to wonder how many more were like that. I ran a program called BadPeggy which is supposed to be able to find corrupt JPGs. I did not find any more. I'm thinking now perhaps those bad JPGs came from a thumb drive that I impatiently yanked before writing was complete. Who knows.

Anyway, with my additional free time, I thought it might be prudent to do a bit-for-bit check of all my files to see if there are any discrepancies. I'm using FreeFileSync for that. So far I have tested about 213,000 files. They all match, except for a bunch of Excel files that differ only in Properties (date created or date accessed).

Watching FreeFileSync's progress bar is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 10, 2020 17:54 |  #55

Archibald wrote in post #19044198 (external link)
One thing I decided to do while confined at home is to do an integrity check of my backup files. I have around 3 TB of files backed up to three 4 TB hard drives. Some of the files on those disks were written many years ago. They just sit there, presumably doing nothing and not changing. But who knows, maybe they are slowly and silently decaying.

A year or so ago I was quite surprised to discover, by chance, a couple of JPG files that were corrupt. They had those awful colored bands. I was able to find uncorrupted versions and replaced them, but then started to wonder how many more were like that. I ran a program called BadPeggy which is supposed to be able to find corrupt JPGs. I did not find any more. I'm thinking now perhaps those bad JPGs came from a thumb drive that I impatiently yanked before writing was complete. Who knows.

Anyway, with my additional free time, I thought it might be prudent to do a bit-for-bit check of all my files to see if there are any discrepancies. I'm using FreeFileSync for that. So far I have tested about 213,000 files. They all match, except for a bunch of Excel files that differ only in Properties (date created or date accessed).

Watching FreeFileSync's progress bar is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

That is a lot of files and patience on your part. Good time to do this.

Image Editing OK

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 11 months ago by Tronhard.

Apr 10, 2020 18:00 |  #56

Here in NZ, as part of our total lock-down to eliminate the virus, we stay in 'bubbles' and we cannot engage with people outside of that. But we have expanded our bubble!

We came across these two poor Turkmenistan tourists, stranded in NZ when they were on holiday.

Unlike the Germans, their government has left them to fend for themselves, so we have taken them under our wing. Boris is of peasant stock and keen to help us in the garden to show his appreciation. You will see more of Boris and his dear wife, Anna in future. She is very shy (she is an amputee), so it may be a few days before she will allow me to share her photo.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Boris has taken to the gardening with great Gusto (however Gusto left as he got a better offer) and has immersed himself in our vegetable patch. He is very keen - one never sees him without his pails of water!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Wilt
43,959 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Apr 10, 2020 18:41 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #57

We know from industry experience of a half century with magnetic media, it is a good practice to re-write data so that is is a 'fresh copy' rather than a deteriorating original copy'

Excerpt from https://superuser.com …hard-drive-loses-its-data (external link)

"Overview

The longevity of the data stored on any drive depends on the conditions where it is stored and for how long. For hard drives, there are three main factors: magnetic field breakdown, environmental conditions, and mechanical failure.

Magnetic Field Breakdown

Most sources state that permanent magnets lose their magnetic field strength at a rate of 1% per year. Assuming this is valid, after ~69 years, we can assume that half of the sectors in a hard drive would be corrupted (since they all lost half of their strength by this time). Obviously, this is quite a long time, but this risk is easily mitigated - simply re-write the data to the drive. How frequently you need to do this depends on the following two issues (I also go over this in my conclusion).

To periodically refresh the data on the drive, simply transfer it to another location, and re-writing it back to the drive. That way, the magnetic domains in the physical disk surface will be renewed with their original strength (because you just re-wrote the files back to the disk). If you're concerned about filesystem corruption, you can also format the disk before transferring the data back.

You can also help to avoid this issue by archiving your data with recovery data and error correction when you put the data onto the drive. Many archive formats support the inclusion of data recovery algorithms, so even if you have a few corrupted sectors, you can still re-build the lost data."

If we write out data to a RAID 1 drive pair in Year 0, then in Year 10 we pull Drive B and replace it with a blank Drive C, the RAID 1 would automatically rebuild its pair by writing all the data freshly to Drive C. Then in Year 20 we pull Drive A and replace it with a blank Drive D, the RAID 1 would again automatically rebuild its pair by writing all the data freshly to Drive D. Repeat the process every 10 years and there would always be a freshly written copy of data on one of the RAID pair, requiring little work by the user apart from swapping harddrives...an easy task in most RAID enclosures.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,984 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 10, 2020 20:00 |  #58

Wilt, if you don't ever swap out drive A, wouldn't you always risk the source drive going bad given it never gets data refreshed?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

Wilt
43,959 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt.

Apr 10, 2020 20:04 |  #59

joeseph wrote in post #19044256 (external link)
Wilt, if you don't ever swap out drive A, wouldn't you always risk the source drive going bad given it never gets data refreshed?

Yes, good catch...I had neglected to mention pulling Drive A and replacing it with Drive D, (I had merely copied the sentence and changed the destination drive letter but forgot about changing the source drive letter) so Drive D gets the newly written data at Year 20.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,690 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 10, 2020 20:25 |  #60

The problem I have is that my hard drives last too long. Everybody says HDs break down all the time, but not mine. It's been years since I've had a failure. I am too cheap to go and buy a replacement drive for one that is working just fine. So I am stuck with my ancient but trusty drives.

Maybe when one gets to be 10 years old I will wipe it and rewrite all its contents.

Wait - maybe a couple are already 10 years old.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

sponsored links

26,497 views & 283 likes for this thread
Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.