Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Mar 2020 (Wednesday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,812 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 10, 2020 20:50 |  #61

digital paradise wrote in post #19044105 (external link)
What did people do before TV, social media and Amazon?

This may surprise you, but I don't use any of those three unless POTN counts as a social medium.

Before TV, there was radio. Before social media, people met, wrote letters, sent cards, made phone calls. Before Amazon, there was mail order. I suppose some people are too young to remember and others are too old to remember.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links
Orlando ­ Sydney
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jul 2019

Apr 10, 2020 21:03 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #62

similar, I watch little TV, don't use amazon and haven't been on farce book for a year or two.
I'm on a variety of 'old'er style forums. Read, learn new stuff or create content for my website. Talking to more people on the phone the last few weeks has been rather nice. Messaging has also increased. Spinning more vinyl records :)

Photographer in Sydney Servicing the B2B market in the CBD.
Sydney Event Photography (external link) More about Professional Photographer Details (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,145 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 10, 2020 21:11 |  #63

OhLook wrote in post #19044284 (external link)
This may surprise you, but I don't use any of those three unless POTN counts as a social medium.

Before TV, there was radio. Before social media, people met, wrote letters, sent cards, made phone calls. Before Amazon, there was mail order. I suppose some people are too young to remember and others are too old to remember.

I don't use social media either. For me it's mostly tv, radio, internet. And...print newspaper that I still get delivered!

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still have 8 digits left
17,456 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by digital paradise.

Apr 10, 2020 21:15 |  #64

OhLook wrote in post #19044284 (external link)

I also don’t use Amazon very much. Maybe 10 times so far. I do watch a fair bit of TV. Too much sometimes.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,812 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 10, 2020 21:22 |  #65

I deliberately avoid Amazon, not wishing to support some business practices of theirs that I've read about. I'm not very materialistic anyway and don't want to accumulate possessions I don't need.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 10, 2020 21:26 |  #66

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #19044290 (external link)
I don't use social media either. For me it's mostly tv, radio, internet. And...print newspaper that I still get delivered!

I should have said I don’t use a lot of social media, just several photo forums. I refuse to use Facebook, never tried Twitter, etc. Internet for info, texting and email.

Image Editing OK

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,145 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 10, 2020 21:33 |  #67

digital paradise wrote in post #19044300 (external link)
I should have said I don’t use a lot of social media, just several photo forums. I refuse to use Facebook, never tried Twitter, etc. Internet for info, texting and email.

Exactly like me.

I do shop amazon, but try to buy from local retailers first. I also enjoy reading my print newspaper, as well as the digital edition.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 10, 2020 21:59 |  #68

Archibald wrote in post #19044268 (external link)
The problem I have is that my hard drives last too long. Everybody says HDs break down all the time, but not mine. It's been years since I've had a failure. I am too cheap to go and buy a replacement drive for one that is working just fine. So I am stuck with my ancient but trusty drives.

Maybe when one gets to be 10 years old I will wipe it and rewrite all its contents.

Wait - maybe a couple are already 10 years old.

I’ve only had one failure and it was something to do with the enclosure, not the drive.

Image Editing OK

Tronhard
625 posts
Gallery: 293 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 10 months ago by Tronhard. (2 edits in all)

Apr 10, 2020 22:05 |  #69

digital paradise wrote in post #19044300 (external link)

Part of my career was in military security. Early on I learned a lot about the way that we give up information about ourselves in order to access these social media services, and how that information is, and can be used, shared and manipulated. As a consequence I don't engage in ANY social media and I am picky about the fora with which I engage. As someone said, when it's free then the product is almost certainly you...

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 10, 2020 22:27 |  #70

Tronhard wrote in post #19044325 (external link)
Part of my career was in military security. Early on I learned a lot about the way that we give up information about ourselves in order to access these social media services, and how that information is, and can be used, shared and manipulated. As a consequence I don't engage in ANY social media and I am picky about the fora with which I engage. As someone said, when it's free then the product is almost certainly you...

We have watched a few documentaries about that. It is pretty scary.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by digital paradise.

Apr 10, 2020 22:33 |  #71

OhLook wrote in post #19044295 (external link)
I deliberately avoid Amazon, not wishing to support some business practices of theirs that I've read about. I'm not very materialistic anyway and don't want to accumulate possessions I don't need.

Yes we mostly get what we need except for camera gear. That is definitely a want. I used to order camera gear but the last few years purchased locally from a mom and pop store. Yes we seen a few documentaries about Amazon so I don’t use them very much. An external drive recently. Can’t remember the last time.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 11, 2020 10:57 |  #72

Tronhard wrote in post #19044325 (external link)

Seen this advertisement on TV last night so I checked out. I have been a supporter of this for the last 5 years or so. I knew something was going on but it really took off when I attended a social media disinformation presentation by a professor of slavic languages from our province's university.

https://spotfakenews.c​a (external link)

https://nmc-mic.ca …ine/small-space-campaign/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,681 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 11, 2020 12:22 |  #73

Archibald wrote in post #19044198 (external link)
One thing I decided to do while confined at home is to do an integrity check of my backup files. I have around 3 TB of files backed up to three 4 TB hard drives. Some of the files on those disks were written many years ago. They just sit there, presumably doing nothing and not changing. But who knows, maybe they are slowly and silently decaying.

A year or so ago I was quite surprised to discover, by chance, a couple of JPG files that were corrupt. They had those awful colored bands. I was able to find uncorrupted versions and replaced them, but then started to wonder how many more were like that. I ran a program called BadPeggy which is supposed to be able to find corrupt JPGs. I did not find any more. I'm thinking now perhaps those bad JPGs came from a thumb drive that I impatiently yanked before writing was complete. Who knows.

Anyway, with my additional free time, I thought it might be prudent to do a bit-for-bit check of all my files to see if there are any discrepancies. I'm using FreeFileSync for that. So far I have tested about 213,000 files. They all match, except for a bunch of Excel files that differ only in Properties (date created or date accessed).

Watching FreeFileSync's progress bar is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

OK, for anyone interested, I found 6 corrupt raw files on my backup HDD. The ones on my working disk were good.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,236 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2020 12:51 |  #74

Archibald wrote in post #19044621 (external link)
OK, for anyone interested, I found 6 corrupt raw files on my backup HDD. The ones on my working disk were good.

Hmm.. odd. I have been cleaning out some old memory cards many with pics I wasn't really interested in keeping but were still on my card. From 2 cards, there have been a total of 5 corrupted files, all of them .xmp files. The raw and jpegs are fine, it's just the .xmp files.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 11, 2020 13:25 |  #75

Archibald wrote in post #19044621 (external link)

That was a lot of work. 6 is not bad at all.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

26,363 views & 283 likes for this thread
Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.