Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Apr 2020 (Sunday) 13:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You ever look at your gear and wondered how you got to that point?

Trey ­ T
996 posts
Joined May 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by Trey T.

Apr 13, 2020 15:07 |  #16

Tronhard wrote in post #19044228 (external link)
Not at all...

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 1038149 has been deleted. ]

I can see EXACTLY how I got here, and that's not including about 3x60li boxes full of camera bags in storage... :rolleyes:

Wooow!!! W/ that amount of gear, i would be afraid of those cameras (w/ moving parts) stop working because it's shelved for significant duration.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,844 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 13, 2020 15:55 |  #17

mathogre wrote in post #19045491 (external link)
Never wondered. I know every step .....

TustinMike wrote in post #19045507 (external link)
It’s been pretty much a deliberate journey .....

Same here. . I don't really understand how one would "wonder" at what they ended up buying. . The purchase of anything in life is done only after a great deal of thought, research, and comparing the item being considered to all other items that one could purchase with a similar amount of money.

Every bit of photography gear that I have purchased was bought only after a great deal of contemplation, and after searching far and wide for the very best deal possible.

I honestly don't like to buy camera gear. . To me, it is boring and not at all interesting. . It kills me to use dollars on camera gear when I could use those dollars on photography trips instead. . The travel gets me more quality images because it puts me in position to be able to photograph the things that I want to photograph.

The gear itself is like a necessary evil - I need it in order to produce excellent images, but every dollar I spend on gear is going to take away from the number of experiences I can have with the wild animals that I want to photograph.

I just upgraded from a 1D4 to a 5D4. . The last time I upgraded was back in 2013, when I went from a 50D to the 1D4. . Hopefully this 5D4 I recently got will be my main body for at least 4 or 5 years, so that I can spend all of my money on travel instead of having to buy gear.

Oh yeah - my Gitzo tripod is very badly wearing out and I will probably have to buy a $1,000 tripod within the next year. . That $1,000 could be a two-week-long trip to Colorado to photograph Mountain Goats and Moose. . It'll suck to have to spend that money on a stupid tripod instead. . But there's no sense going to Colorado to Photograph big game if I don't have what I need to create as many quality photos as possible, so I'll have to suck it up and spend my money on the boring part of photography, which is the gear itself.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

moose10101
registered smartass
1,744 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 13, 2020 16:04 |  #18

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19045898 (external link)
Same here. I don't really understand how one would "wonder" at what they ended up buying. The purchase of anything in life is done only after a great deal of thought, research, and comparing the item being considered to all other items that one could purchase with a similar amount of money.

You (and I) are in a small minority of people who share that philosophy. For most people, "bang for the buck" gives way to instant gratification.

Tronhard
612 posts
Gallery: 282 photos
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 10 months ago by Tronhard.

Apr 13, 2020 18:51 |  #19

My gear is the sum of living and working in two distinct parts of the world.

For some time I followed the sun between NZ in the southern hemisphere and Canada in the northern. Rather than go through customs and all that hassle, I simply had two sets of gear. I was able to write them off against my work, so it was not really an issue. When I moved back to NZ full time I ended up as you saw my photo.

BTW, I regularly take photos with ALL of my gear, no matter how old. It is good for the cameras and it's good for me. I run a couple of camera groups and I like to make the point to newbies that they can learn photography perfectly well on old gear and save a lot of money. I shoot with my old gear (some goes back 20 years) to make that point.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 13, 2020 21:52 |  #20

Tom, I can relate to much of what you said. I'm frugal, a much nicer term than I'm often called by my friends. I gave much time, thought and research into buying my 120-300, needing a faster lens with some reach yet somewhat affordable was why I chose it and have had no regrets. Bought it as a demo so saved many dollars and it has worked fine with no problems. I have traveled the last 15 years more than I ever had in the previous 50 years of my life. Though my photos are far from professional level I wanted to take my own. So the Road Runner in Arizona, the Grizzlies and Brown Bears, Moose in Alaska, fall colors over a beaver pond in Ontario were photos I could not capture if I had stayed in Missouri. It would have been nice to own some longer/better glass on some of these trips but I simply can't have both gear and travel, not enough $'s at my house :-)

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Tronhard
612 posts
Gallery: 282 photos
Joined Jan 2020

Apr 13, 2020 21:58 |  #21

Trey T wrote in post #19045879 (external link)
Wooow!!! W/ that amount of gear, i would be afraid of those cameras (w/ moving parts) stop working because it's shelved for significant duration.

I use ALL of my gear, so nothing is shelved for too long. So far (touch wood) I have never had any component fail.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Cassie
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 27, 2020 17:04 |  #22

browsing POTN :p

http://thompson-photo.smugmug.com/ (external link)
https://instagram.com/​vegaquarium (external link)
5D MK IV
35 F/2 IS*Shorty-Forty*50L*85L II*135L :D
430 EX II

shutterguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 27, 2020 20:18 |  #23

Cassie wrote in post #19053926 (external link)
browsing POTN :p

The Lens Sample Archives has been a big contributor :lol:

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 7D | DJI Mavic 2 Pro | Canon 17-40mm f/4.0 L | Canon 135mm f/2.0 L | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM |Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | (2) Alien Bee 800

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Gallery: 1000 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by MatthewK.

Apr 30, 2020 11:59 |  #24

While some people may start out knowing exactly what they want to photograph, some of us may take a more meandering path and end up somewhere that we completely didn't expect. I think too, that people's interests change over time, and as they change, their gear will change as well. I really got into photography because I wanted to document my car and car culture, went through the "85mm f/1.2 bokeh!!!!" phase, did some wedding/portrait work for a bit, got into macro for a while, and here I am today head-over-heels in love with bird photography. Weird. 12 years ago, had you shown young me where I am now, I'd have had a great laugh :-P

I'm happier with less now because I know exactly what I want to photograph, but more importantly, what I don't. This took a decade+ and a good amount of GAS to figure out, but I am confidant now that I'd be completely happy for the foreseeable future with just my Fuji X100V and Nikon D500 + 500 PF... 23mm and 500mm, and nothing in between, because I figured out through trial and error that's what I need to get the shots I want.

What I've discovered over this past year is a satisfying clarity of thought and intention once the gear became secondary to the actual process of photography. The journey up to this point has been me figuring that all out, and this is where I'd always hopefully end up. Similar to what Tom posted, now instead of worrying about the next big lens and camera release, I agonize over the next time I'll be able to get out and photograph birds. I check weather forecasts and eBird reports way more frequently than Canon Rumors and Canon Price Watch. My YouTube time is spent absorbing field craft and technique, versus gear reviews.

It'll be interesting to see where I am in another 10 years from now!

sponsored links

1,564 views & 45 likes for this thread
You ever look at your gear and wondered how you got to that point?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.