Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 16 Apr 2020 (Thursday) 11:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Bird Feeder

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,680 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 16, 2020 11:31 |  #1

So I put out a bird feeder to attract birds like the second shot to my back yard. But then the squirrel mafia moved in took it over.... and I was tempted to not restock it. But I did anyway, and t my surprise, the birds brought in the big guns. So as it turns out.... put out bird feeder to attract birds -> which attracted squirrels which chased away the birds -> which attracted in the big guy... and it became bird feeder again. The squirrel presence is decidedly smaller now. And all kinds of birds have returned.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

sponsored links
Croasdail
THREAD ­ STARTER
making stuff up
7,680 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 16, 2020 11:49 |  #2

The Hawk... is that a red tailed hawk? I know next to nothing about them. It was interesting in that they were hunting in pairs.... didn't know they did that either.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

FPP
906 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 16, 2020 21:25 |  #3

Ha. We have had generations of red-tails (they come for the bird bath). Way too many squirrels. The hawks take an occasional tree-rat but not enough to discourage the others. Plus, one squirrel chased a hawk out of our crab apple tree and then walked across open ground to the "bird feeder" while the hawk was looking at it from another tree. Guess we have tough squirrels.

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Yongnuo YN-24EX, JasonC007 Diffuser Kit, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,162 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by SJC from VT.

Apr 17, 2020 09:21 |  #4

I'm not great with identifying Hawks, but I would say it is not a Red-tailed Hawk because they generally have a "belly band" consisting of darker feathers in the middle.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

Croasdail
THREAD ­ STARTER
making stuff up
7,680 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 17, 2020 22:48 as a reply to  @ SJC from VT's post |  #5

Thanks for the info... looked it up and yes, that looks like it was a possibility too - I was depressed that all I got was the most common hawk type in North America. Either way, it was interesting watching him/her watching the squirrel, and the squirrel watching back. Fun stuff.....

We also have a very large owl that hangs out in the mornings.... but no idea what kind he/she is. But much larger than your barn owl variety. And no good shots yet... working on it.

Mark

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,591 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 17, 2020 23:29 |  #6

Great story, for sure :) That is either a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned hawk (one of the Accipiters, rather than Bueto [RTH, Broadwinged, Red-shouldered, etc). This guy's much too slight and the breast pattern matches the smaller ones; the smaller, pigeon-like head nudges me to Sharp-shinned; but they're *really* difficult to tell apart without side by side.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

kd_reno
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Gallery: 174 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 18, 2020 13:35 |  #7

Definitely an immature accipiter. Both Copper's and Sharp-shinned mainly eat birds, although Coops will sometimes take squirrels. So even if you figure out how to discourage the squirrels you can expect the hawks to keep visiting.

Ken
More stuff than I know how to use

sponsored links

493 views & 3 likes for this thread
New Bird Feeder
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.