Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Mar 2020 (Wednesday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,924 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 24, 2020 00:36 |  #121

digital paradise wrote in post #19033304 (external link)
Corona Virus 2 - what are you up to?

I was recently informed that I was exposed to SARS-CoV-2.

In the course of my work, I was needed to go into a small apartment that was inhabited by 4 people to help with a crisis there. . The authorities ordered that the residents be tested, and all 4 were positive for COVID-19. . Those among those four who are alive are now under official quarantine. . So I guess that means I am on the so-called front lines or whatever.

I feel great and have no symptoms at all. . I guess suiting up from head to toe did the job.

I don't need anybody to tell me the extremely obvious things that I already know like how I could have it even though I don't have symptoms, or how I could be a danger to others. . Of course I already know all of that. . Everybody in the world knows all of that stuff. . Just wanted to share my experience and current status as one who has been exposed through the course of my "essential" job.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,924 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited 10 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Apr 24, 2020 00:39 |  #122

Archibald wrote in post #19051998 (external link)
Yes, we have ethanol in Canadian gasoline, usually 10% in the lower octane grades, and sometimes less or zero in the premium grades. What does that say about ethanol as a motor fuel?

What that says to me is that it is cheap filler, being used under the guise of something that is "better for the environment" ..... which of course is sheer rubbish.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still have 8 digits left
17,457 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2020 00:48 |  #123

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19052000 (external link)

In the course of my work, I was needed to go into a small apartment that was inhabited by 4 people to help with a crisis there. . The authorities ordered that the residents be tested, and all 4 were positive for COVID-19. . Those among those four who are alive are now under official quarantine. . So I guess that means I am on the so-called front lines or whatever.

I feel great and have no symptoms at all. . I guess suiting up from head to toe did the job.

I don't need anybody to tell me the extremely obvious things that I already know like how I could have it even though I don't have symptoms, or how I could be a danger to others. . Of course I already know all of that. . Everybody in the world knows all of that stuff. . Just wanted to share my experience and current status as one who has been exposed through the course of my "essential" job.

Glad you are feeling good.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,924 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2020 01:10 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #124

Thanks. . No worries at all :lol:

RhodyPhotos
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited 10 months ago by RhodyPhotos. (3 edits in all)

Apr 24, 2020 01:18 |  #125

Take care, tom. Good that you are asymptomatic, but keep monitoring carefully. As you now the incubation period varies widely.

EDIT: fixed typos :-).

CC always welcome.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,984 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 24, 2020 02:03 |  #126

Archibald wrote in post #19051881 (external link)
Fortunately, alcohol consumption in alcoholic beverages is up.

indeed - I've been out twice this week to get my monthly beer & wine shopping. ;-)a

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2020

Apr 24, 2020 03:02 |  #127

I am retired but my other half is working remotely to the university. I decided to record her activities with the help of Boris and Anna (foreground), while partner was on the phone to the dean.

Boris (holding the 2 pails) is concerned that they will make his butt look big. I told him, not at all...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I had to purchase and install a new gateway as our network and internet were rubbish. The fibre access point was a pain as the previous owner had let the installers put in under the kitchen breakfast bar and to get the best WiFi I needed the box high up. Now at least we are getting (at my estimate) about a 25 fold increase in speed and huge improvement in reliability.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 24, 2020 05:49 |  #128

That was certainly a concentrated encounter, which may have had different outcomes had you not been geared up. Of course, the best luck anyone can have is to get the virus, and not have complications, and find out that they've had it, but spread it to no one. I'd love to find out that I've already had it, without symptoms, because none of the parks or public transportation that I need to do my normal spring bird migration are actually shut down, and no one is asking people to justify their presence in them. I'd just continue to wear my gear and distance as much as possible for "good example", but otherwise return to as much of my "normal" as possible. Driving into Manhattan is not a nice option in my opinion, but that's where the migrants are most heavily drawn during migration, and where I know lots of other people who can find birds or tell me about found birds. It is nice to get out into the parks in my area, but the area has no features that concentrate migrants in transit like Central Park does; it has open water around it at a mile or more, and is immediately flanked by brick, concrete, and steel, pulling migrants in at a distance in early morning light, and then they pull even tighter over the day into specific areas with the best safety and feeding possibilities.

I live right in the US epicenter of SARS-2. The first explosion of the virus happened in the neighborhood that I do most of my grocery shopping, a 4 minute walk outside the 1-mile radius that was quarantined with the help of the US National Guard back in early March. An employee in my local Trader Joe's died from COVID-19-related complications. I was shopping for weeks in those stores before I started wearing gloves and a mask, and carrying a spray bottle of alcohol and using it on my gloves frequently. I am certain that I have had many individual copies of the virus on my clothes or skin, or even in my eyes, mouth or nose, but whether or not any of them actually got to an ACE-2 receptor and actually started replicating, is another story. Many probably get stuck somewhere and fall apart, or wind up in swallowed food and are degraded in the stomach. The more copies you take in, though, the more of a chance that one of them will make it to an ACE-2 receptor and begin replication.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,842 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 24, 2020 07:32 |  #129

I was recently informed that I was exposed to SARS-CoV-2. . . .

I don't need anybody to tell me the extremely obvious things that I already know like how I could have it even though I don't have symptoms . . .

At the risk of offending you, I'll ask an extremely obvious question. Have you been tested since that exposure?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,729 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 24, 2020 07:33 |  #130

digital paradise wrote in post #19051637 (external link)
That is me up on the garage.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by digital paradise in
./showthread.php?p=190​51637&i=i182270409
forum: The Lounge

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by digital paradise in
./showthread.php?p=190​51637&i=i18258681

I can imagine the novelty value wearing off pretty fast.

Dave
Image editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2020 07:44 |  #131

Just found out we actually do have a family member that has COVID-19. Not actual member to us. My wife's sister's mother in law. She got it while in Ireland or while travelling back to Canada. She said the first week it was pretty bad and started to recover. Then it came back and again she felt like a truck ran over her. She is better again and tomorrow is her day to come out of her room but is worried she may still be infectious.

Image Editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,924 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2020 07:45 |  #132

OhLook wrote in post #19052112 (external link)
At the risk of offending you, I'll ask an extremely obvious question. Have you been tested since that exposure?

No, no test. . And I'm not offended at all by questions. . Ask away! . It's when people start telling me what they think I should do, or explaining why I should do this or do that, that offends me, because they speak as though I haven't already considered things that I most certainly have considered.

With all of the briefings that we've had at work, given by healthcare professionals and government authorities such as Pubic Health Department personnel, plus all of the things I've read on my own on the internet and in print, I can't imagine anyone on a photography forum telling me something I haven't already considered in great depth.

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2020 07:48 |  #133

Choderboy wrote in post #19052113 (external link)
I can imagine the novelty value wearing off pretty fast.

Oh yes. Verrrrrrry quickly. The snowmobiling, etc is still a lot of fun but I only need that much snow once in a lifetime. I think I cleared the roof only 3 or 4 times over 30 years. No forest fires that spring :-)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,457 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2020 07:50 |  #134

Tronhard wrote in post #19052033 (external link)
I am retired but my other half is working remotely to the university. I decided to record her activities with the help of Boris and Anna (foreground), while partner was on the phone to the dean.

Boris (holding the 2 pails) is concerned that they will make his butt look big. I told him, not at all...
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tronhard in
./showthread.php?p=190​52033&i=i175647977

I had to purchase and install a new gateway as our network and internet were rubbish. The fibre access point was a pain as the previous owner had let the installers put in under the kitchen breakfast bar and to get the best WiFi I needed the box high up. Now at least we are getting (at my estimate) about a 25 fold increase in speed and huge improvement in reliability.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tronhard in
./showthread.php?p=190​52033&i=i23402906

Tell Boris his butt looks fine. The camera adds 10 lbs.

Image Editing OK

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 24, 2020 08:30 |  #135

digital paradise wrote in post #19052117 (external link)
Just found out we actually do have a family member that has COVID-19. Not actual member to us. My wife's sister's mother in law. She got it while in Ireland or while travelling back to Canada. She said the first week it was pretty bad and started to recover. Then it came back and again she felt like a truck ran over her. She is better again and tomorrow is her day to come out of her room but is worried she may still be infectious.

Corona19 has become very personal for me as well. I lost my aunt last week due to complications from Corona. She had surgery just before the virus took off, back when doctors were saying that it was not going to be a big deal. Got the virus in the hospital and never recovered. My cousin also has it but is now on the mend she has been sick for weeks, maybe over a month now. We figure she got it from my aunt, her mom, probably on her daily visits. Even though my cuz was very sick, she was never hospitalized so they never tested her. They just told her to go home and if she felt she was going to die, come into the hospital. (direct quote from the doc. Gotta love Chicago hospitals.). My aunt was tested so she is an official statistic. My cuz is not I suppose.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

26,483 views & 283 likes for this thread
Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.