Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Apr 2020 (Tuesday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WORLDWIDE PHOTO WEEK: Part 708 - A Little Red

joayne
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,477 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 24, 2020 01:51 |  #16

Tronhard wrote in post #19051793 (external link)
I shall try to make amends for my red flush by finding something more subtle... It's fall here and our local cemetery has a lot of deciduous trees, reminding me of Canada.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tronhard in
./showthread.php?p=190​51793&i=i176963690
forum: Member Activities

Ahhh.. Much Littler.. :rolleyes:

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

sponsored links
Tronhard
612 posts
Gallery: 282 photos
Joined Jan 2020

Apr 24, 2020 03:08 |  #17

joayne wrote in post #19052021 (external link)
Ahhh.. Much Littler.. :rolleyes:

I considered removing the red door, but then I decided to leaf well alone...:rolleyes:

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,846 posts
Gallery: 730 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 24, 2020 05:46 |  #18

Do I see a pundemic spreading?  :p

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,844 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 24, 2020 07:56 |  #19

Tronhard wrote in post #19051793 (external link)
..... It's fall here and .....

Fall! . That means the deer rut for us.

Are your herds of magnificent Red Deer rutting now? . Do you have access to any of New Zealand's herds, for photography purposes?

Photos of big Red Deer bucks in the rut are the kind of "little bit of red" images that I could really get excited about!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Tronhard
612 posts
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 10 months ago by Tronhard.

Apr 24, 2020 14:21 |  #20

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19052123 (external link)
Fall! . That means the deer rut for us.

Are your herds of magnificent Red Deer rutting now? . Do you have access to any of New Zealand's herds, for photography purposes?

Photos of big Red Deer bucks in the rut are the kind of "little bit of red" images that I could really get excited about!

There are deer rutting, but nowhere near where I live in Auckland - the deer populations are generally in the bush way down south. Hunting has been blocked while we are in level 4 restrictions (the highest level), but all being well, we will go to level 3 on Tuesday (I'll explain why not Monday in another post) which offers some relaxation. People can then hunt for food, but only on private land with the landowner's permission. Hunting on conservation land(about 1/3 of our land mass) is prohibited for anyone right now. This sanction is to prevent too much social contact, and in particular first responders having to sort out people who have had accidents. So far with people not obeying the lockdown we have had two quad accidents and one wounded that required teams of support and helicopters to go get them. They are being treated of course, but will be charged with a variety of offenses.

On one of our most popular beaches (normally) someone decided to walk on the cliff of a small island just off the beach. He fell and had to be rescued by helicopter. In the process of doing so he knocked a paramedic off the cliff in a panic as he was winched to the top. The paramedic ended up at the bottom of the cliff with a broken leg. Another round of charges for breaking the curfew...

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,844 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 24, 2020 18:05 |  #21

Just a little splash of red is all you need sometimes, to make a subject beautiful. . I took this a few hours ago in my local marsh.

It's actually because of this thread that I got out yesterday morning and again this morning. . When I saw, "A Little Red", I thought that Red-winged Blackbirds would be the perfect subject for this theme, but had kind of wrapped up my ventures with them a couple weeks ago. . But this thread got be to go back after them, and I'm glad I did, because they are still quite photogenic as they're still active in their mating season shenanigans!

Perhaps I'll get back down there again tomorrow morning if the light is going to be right. . I'm very thankful not t be under strict quarantine orders like some places in the world are. . At least we're allowed to get out and enjoy nature and breathe some good fresh air!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,589 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Apr 24, 2020 18:40 |  #22

Another beautiful day but volleyball courts are still locked down with RED chains. Maybe they will be back open next week.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

Tronhard
612 posts
Joined Jan 2020
Post edited 10 months ago by Tronhard. (4 edits in all)

Apr 24, 2020 23:35 |  #23

ANZAC Day, NZ

If you wish to know what that is:https://www.bbc.com/ne​ws/world-australia-52406944 (external link)

This year was unique. No massed memorials or dawn assemblies because of the COVID lock-down, but we adapted.
At dawn, local musicians played the last post as we each stood at our gate with a poppy, a candle, a memory...

Stilled Life... Somehow it is fitting for the young to enjoy freedom to run, where generations who fought for it lie still

HOSTED PHOTO

Just a Little Red: It must take a lot of time and people to give each headstone its own red poppy...

HOSTED PHOTO

Trevor

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 25, 2020 00:00 |  #24

Good shot of the RWBB Tom, I thought I'd get one of these guys myself so had my camera ready as I had been seeing dozens of them. So since having the camera ready this week, nothing but Grackles, not a speck of red.
Thought I'd go after a larger bird with red but hunting season is open on them and my brother and grandson are hunting. I work everyday, long hours so the turkey are eluding me, maybe this weekend.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
19,389 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 25, 2020 07:00 |  #25

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19052360 (external link)
Just a little splash of red is all you need sometimes, to make a subject beautiful. . I took this a few hours ago in my local marsh.

It's actually because of this thread that I got out yesterday morning and again this morning. . When I saw, "A Little Red", I thought that Red-winged Blackbirds would be the perfect subject for this theme, but had kind of wrapped up my ventures with them a couple weeks ago. . But this thread got be to go back after them, and I'm glad I did, because they are still quite photogenic as they're still active in their mating season shenanigans!

Perhaps I'll get back down there again tomorrow morning if the light is going to be right. . I'm very thankful not t be under strict quarantine orders like some places in the world are. . At least we're allowed to get out and enjoy nature and breathe some good fresh air!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tom Reichner in
./showthread.php?p=190​52360&i=i219755685

Love the shot, Tom!
That little bit of red in the wings makes so much difference (as opposed to all black birds, I mean).

Tronhard wrote in post #19052453 (external link)
ANZAC Day, NZ

If you wish to know what that is:https://www.bbc.com/ne​ws/world-australia-52406944 (external link)

This year was unique. No massed memorials or dawn assemblies because of the COVID lock-down, but we adapted.
At dawn, local musicians played the last post as we each stood at our gate with a poppy, a candle, a memory...

Stilled Life... Somehow it is fitting for the young to enjoy freedom to run, where generations who fought for it lie still
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​52453&i=i33506540

Just a Little Red: It must take a lot of time and people to give each headstone its own red poppy...
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​52453&i=i80411151

I was just reading about it, Trevor.
And as sad as the stories behind those tumbstones are, the poppies... well... there's love in them. Quite moving.

I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
My flickr (external link)

joayne
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,477 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 25, 2020 15:48 |  #26

Some wildflowers..

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-24sLTPh/0/842aceb3/XL/i-24sLTPh-XL.jpg

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,846 posts
Gallery: 730 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 25, 2020 16:31 |  #27

HOSTED PHOTO

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,804 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 25, 2020 18:54 |  #28

At the next 6-foot mark ahead of me

HOSTED PHOTO

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,995 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 26, 2020 16:47 |  #29

HOSTED PHOTO

Tim

KT29
Goldmember
3,356 posts
Gallery: 252 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 26, 2020 19:27 |  #30

A little red in the backyard this afternoon.:-)

HOSTED PHOTO

Terry -- The Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but sometimes it's just better
to Replace it.

sponsored links

2,938 views & 173 likes for this thread
WORLDWIDE PHOTO WEEK: Part 708 - A Little Red
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.