Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Mar 2020 (Wednesday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still have 8 digits left
17,457 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 27, 2020 16:26 |  #181

Archibald wrote in post #19053895 (external link)
I really don't know if anyone is interested, but one thing I'm up to during the coronavirus restrictions is music. I am spending time seeing if it is practical to play trombone quartets by doing multitrack recording. The playing would be done live and recorded by four different people in their own homes, at different times. The sound tracks would then be mailed around and combined.

I've found it is definitely possible. It might be fun to do once we get past the technicalities. I'm just not sure yet whether the quality of the product we are likely to get will be worth the effort.

Cool. I'd like to hear that if you ever do it. I played trombone in the high school band from grades 7 to 9. I really liked it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
RhodyPhotos
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Apr 27, 2020 16:42 |  #182

I really don't know if anyone is interested, but one thing I'm up to during the coronavirus restrictions is music. I am spending time seeing if it is practical to play trombone quartets by doing multitrack recording. The playing would be done live and recorded by four different people in their own homes, at different times. The sound tracks would then be mailed around and combined.

I've found it is definitely possible. It might be fun to do once we get past the technicalities. I'm just not sure yet whether the quality of the product we are likely to get will be worth the effort.

A friend of mine sings with the Providence Singers, a choral singers group. They put together something like this. 20 singers given a piece to sing in their homes and then someone put it all together and published it. Here is a link to it,

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=PO_YlkgB8N0 (external link)

if that does not work you can access it directly from the providence singers website, http://www.providences​ingers.org/ (external link)

Look for "Choral performance at a safe social distance"

CC always welcome.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 27, 2020 17:12 |  #183

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19053888 (external link)
That's like rubbing salt in a wound! :(

I've actually slowed down both my TV and 'net time a bit, been organizing the shop in the basement, and doing some home fixer upper stuff around the house.

at least i'm not missing out on any sports :) yeah, i've tried to get some stuff done all around, back working part time, and we just found out we're still in SIP until end of may...so the TV will be a welcome arrival :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,690 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 27, 2020 17:42 |  #184

RhodyPhotos wrote in post #19053913 (external link)
A friend of mine sings with the Providence Singers, a choral singers group. They put together something like this. 20 singers given a piece to sing in their homes and then someone put it all together and published it. Here is a link to it,

if that does not work you can access it directly from the providence singers website, http://www.providences​ingers.org/ (external link)

The link works! That is really neat. And with video. I noticed they had piano accompaniment, which would keep them in time and in tune.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

Tronhard
646 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Joined Jan 2020

Apr 27, 2020 18:19 |  #185

I have started a couple of groups on Meetup.com with the challenge to take at least one photo every day. We just completed the first round with almost 200 image from members during our 4-week lockdown. I have started a new one for the next period of increased economic activity that is planned to last 2 weeks - all being well.

It's a focus to find something every day when one is mostly confined to one's home and garden - although we could go our for local walks as well.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Tronhard's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO

Because the images were reduced for on-line viewing I have mostly used my oldest gear 20 and 17 year-old bodies and some lenses dating back to 1987! Lots of fun using those old cameras.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
We aren't remembered for the gear we use, rather the quality of the images we create. Me...
Trevor

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,924 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 27, 2020 18:23 |  #186

DreDaze wrote in post #19053928 (external link)
at least i'm not missing out on any sports :)

Yeah, I am a huge fan of NFL football, and think that the timing of all of this has been very fortuitous for those addicted to the sport.

The NFL Draft occurred right on schedule, last Thursday thru Saturday. . It had to be done "virtually", via the internet and the telephone, instead of being the huge live event that it was supposed to be in Las Vegas this year. . But it happened right on cue, nonetheless. . Over the past two weeks, I spent a lot of my isolation time doing research on many of the college prospects, as well as on each NFL team's needs, priorities, and draft tendencies.

Then of course starting on Thursday evening, I watched every minute of the first round, followed by watching every minute of the second and third rounds on Friday, and capped off by spending the entirety of Saturday watching the remaining rounds.

And of course now I am watching and reading everything I can get my eyes on that analyzes the players that were drafted and how they project to be used by the teams that drafted them. . I have even started a playlist on YouTube entitled, "2020 NFL Draft Research and Analysis", which I save many insightful videos to. . I have done so for drafts in previous years, and it is enjoyable to go back and watch the videos years later, with the advantage of hindsight.

I have an insatiable appetite for NFL analysis and coverage, and this "Stay at Home" stuff is just giving me a better opportunity to spend even more time watching this stuff than I would normally have.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 27, 2020 18:41 |  #187

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19053967 (external link)
Yeah, I am a huge fan of NFL football, and think that the timing of all of this has been very fortuitous for those addicted to the sport.

The NFL Draft occurred right on schedule, last Thursday thru Saturday. . It had to be done "virtually", via the internet and the telephone, instead of being the huge live event that it was supposed to be in Las Vegas this year. . But it happened right on cue, nonetheless. . Over the past two weeks, I spent a lot of my isolation time doing research on many of the college prospects, as well as on each NFL team's needs, priorities, and draft tendencies.

Then of course starting on Thursday evening, I watched every minute of the first round, followed by watching every minute of the second and third rounds on Friday, and capped off by spending the entirety of Saturday watching the remaining rounds.

And of course now I am watching and reading everything I can get my eyes on that analyzes the players that were drafted and how they project to be used by the teams that drafted them. . I have even started a playlist on YouTube entitled, "2020 NFL Draft Research and Analysis", which I save many insightful videos to. . I have done so for drafts in previous years, and it is enjoyable to go back and watch the videos years later, with the advantage of hindsight.

I have an insatiable appetite for NFL analysis and coverage, and this "Stay at Home" stuff is just giving me a better opportunity to spend even more time watching this stuff than I would normally have.

nice, yeah i've been a niner fan my whole life, so after last year i was definitely looking forward to the next season. We didn't have too many picks, there were 128 picks between our 2nd pick and 3rd pick...but I still had it on, just in case of a trade...it's probably what killed the TV :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

DMax82
254 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2020 21:14 |  #188

Got a little more work done on the she shed. Subfloor is down and the back wall is sort of up. Was only able to spend about 3 hours on it today. Tomorrow I should have a little more time.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 80D and kit zooms. Also 50mm 1.8 and 10-16mm.

RhodyPhotos
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited 10 months ago by RhodyPhotos.

Apr 27, 2020 22:14 |  #189

Archibald wrote in post #19053946 (external link)
The link works! That is really neat. And with video. I noticed they had piano accompaniment, which would keep them in time and in tune.

I believe all the singers had the sheet music from the rehearsals that were happening before the shutdown. They were given a recording of the piano - which was going to be the accompaniment. And then they made a video of themselves singing while listening to the piano over a headphone - so the piano wasn't being recorded with them singing. Then someone took the pains to bring it all together - the singers and the piano. I wish the pianist had also recorded himself or herself It must have been a fun project.

Anyways, my point was, maybe you can try doing something similar? I'm sure it will sound great!

CC always welcome.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,690 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 27, 2020 23:59 |  #190

RhodyPhotos wrote in post #19054055 (external link)
I believe all the singers had the sheet music from the rehearsals that were happening before the shutdown. They were given a recording of the piano - which was going to be the accompaniment. And then they made a video of themselves singing while listening to the piano over a headphone - so the piano wasn't being recorded with them singing. Then someone took the pains to bring it all together - the singers and the piano. I wish the pianist had also recorded himself or herself It must have been a fun project.

Anyways, my point was, maybe you can try doing something similar? I'm sure it will sound great!

Yes, that is what I want to do. For now I think I will just use a metronome app on a phone and monitor it on headphones. That will work for music that has no tempo changes. Later we can deal with more complicated stuff.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 28, 2020 02:16 |  #191

Any latency in such a method is workable, as you can make most multitrack software fix the offsets, either intelligently with known equipment latency, or by just shifting the tracks as necessary after recording (as my sister used to do with software with no internal compensation). Latency is only problematic in a deep way when you all try to play together, because it is confusing to hear the latency separate what you're doing from what you're hearing.

One approach that you might try if people feel awkward about playing the first line or two without the rest of the parts is to start with 3 tracks of computer-generated versions, and then the first person puts in their human part, and then as each adds their part, they mute out the filler part. The first 3 could actually mute out their own parts, and try again, now hearing 3 human parts and no computer parts. Of course, the computer-generated version's timing will still be there, though, so any human tempo modulations will not be possible.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,907 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 10 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Apr 28, 2020 13:45 |  #192

RhodyPhotos wrote in post #19053913 (external link)

I love the Providence Singers. They were regulars when I worked at Veteran's Memorial Auditorium, I worked with conductors Julian Wachner and Andrew Clark as well as E.D. Alli McMillan. Julian and Alli together really made the Singers a force to be reckoned with, such a great chorus!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,907 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 28, 2020 13:47 |  #193

DreDaze wrote in post #19053928 (external link)
at least i'm not missing out on any sports :) yeah, i've tried to get some stuff done all around, back working part time, and we just found out we're still in SIP until end of may...so the TV will be a welcome arrival :)

If you missing sports, look into Jells marble races on FB and Youtube ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 28, 2020 14:04 |  #194

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19054393 (external link)
If you missing sports, look into Jells marble races on FB and Youtube ;)

Been a fan of the marble races for quite some time. More interesting the MLB for sure. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,690 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 28, 2020 16:54 |  #195

John Sheehy wrote in post #19054133 (external link)
Any latency in such a method is workable, as you can make most multitrack software fix the offsets, either intelligently with known equipment latency, or by just shifting the tracks as necessary after recording (as my sister used to do with software with no internal compensation). Latency is only problematic in a deep way when you all try to play together, because it is confusing to hear the latency separate what you're doing from what you're hearing.

One approach that you might try if people feel awkward about playing the first line or two without the rest of the parts is to start with 3 tracks of computer-generated versions, and then the first person puts in their human part, and then as each adds their part, they mute out the filler part. The first 3 could actually mute out their own parts, and try again, now hearing 3 human parts and no computer parts. Of course, the computer-generated version's timing will still be there, though, so any human tempo modulations will not be possible.

Latency won't be an issue. I will be using Audacity to combine the recorded tracks, and I will be able to shift time around. There could still be problems with lining the music up vertically.

There are lots of ways of creating the tracks. For pieces with tempo changes (which is actually most pieces out there), I could create a rhythm track in the scoring software and then output it to MP3 while muting the other parts. Then each player would record their part monitoring the rhythm on headphones. There could be issues, though. Some folks can't or don't want to play to a metronome, and pitch could be a problem if a player can't hear the other notes. We will just have to try it, and who knows, it might be fine.

As you say, I could output the whole piece as machine music with one part missing, to be filled by a player. Heck, I could just include all the parts. The problem here is that the computer output might sound a lot better than we players!

sponsored links

26,484 views & 283 likes for this thread
Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.