Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

mandokid1
Cream of the Crop
13,659 posts
Gallery: 717 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 30, 2020 07:41 |  #1501

A few shots of an Eastern Phoebe,first flycatchers back,out of the car with x1.4 TC.Very close,and no time to take off t.c.! A nice problem to have!:-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

DENIS
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mandokid1/ (external link)
7-Dmk11 5-D Mark 11.5D mark 111
Canon 100 macro, Canon MPE-65, Canon 16-35,24-70,70-200,300 F4,and Sigma 150-600 dg sport

sponsored links
EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,371 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Apr 30, 2020 08:00 |  #1502

mandokid1 wrote in post #19055283 (external link)
A few shots of an Eastern Phoebe,first flycatchers back,out of the car with x1.4 TC.Very close,and no time to take off t.c.! A nice problem to have!:-)

Well done, Denis. I've seen them here for a few weeks; undoubtedly on their way to visit you. :)

"Nice problem", indeed!

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,371 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Apr 30, 2020 08:26 |  #1503

Chris1966 wrote in post #19054470 (external link)
Some beautiful species, and great shots Phil! I love watching wading birds.
The really great benefit of the Nikon bodies, is the way in which they can handle and take benefit from special light.
i have to say, guys like you and Matthew amaze me with the way you appreciate the humble 500PF while having owned or still owning a "real" lens that I can only still dream about: a 600/4. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong though, the 500PF is the real thing too, but I hope to put the crown on my birding life with a 600/4 one day, though not the Nikon at 3,8kg :oops:

Hey Chris, I thought of this conversation last night as a lugged the 600 out front with the Z6 to grab a couple shots of the Screech Owlets. While it is great, it sure is cumbersome after a year with the 500PF. I used a monopod with the Wimberly monopd head I was discussing with Denis yesterday.

While putting the big daddy away, it occurred to me that just the opposite might be worth considering. I don't know how many Nikon lenses you have at this point, but I'm guessing it's probably a low number having just picked up the D500 / 500PF recently.

With the Z7 now available & ready for service, something worth considering might be a 300PF. With the D500/500PF and Z7/300PF pair, you'd have effective FL of 750mm and 300m plus 420mm if you quickly switch from FX to DX mode on the Z7 (it would still be comparable res & pixel density to the native D500 files - in DX mode). Also special to the 300PF is that it's an F4 lens, not to mention even smaller & lighter than the 500PF, a much lower MFD, and painless use of TC's (particularly on the Z body).

That would be a powerful pair. Heck, both complete rigs would probably be lighter than a single D500 + 600F4.

Just some random, unsolicited thoughts.... LOL!

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,625 posts
Gallery: 933 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 30, 2020 08:35 |  #1504

mandokid1 wrote in post #19055283 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mandokid1 in
./showthread.php?p=190​55283&i=i224425235
forum: Nikon Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mandokid1 in
./showthread.php?p=190​55283&i=i164340273

So good... the Phoebe shots I can only hope to get someday, if I'm lucky :) You gotta love those blocky little heads and their "can do!" attitude.

mandokid1
Cream of the Crop
13,659 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 30, 2020 15:35 |  #1505

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19055292 (external link)
Well done, Denis. I've seen them here for a few weeks; undoubtedly on their way to visit you. :)

"Nice problem", indeed!

MatthewK wrote in post #19055308 (external link)
So good... the Phoebe shots I can only hope to get someday, if I'm lucky :) You gotta love those blocky little heads and their "can do!" attitude.

Thanks Guys!
Yes send everything up Phil,if you don't mind.
Yes matt,i love these guys,but looking for an alder,and a willow right now! Phoebes we have plenty!

DENIS
Canon 100 macro, Canon MPE-65, Canon 16-35,24-70,70-200,300 F4,and Sigma 150-600 dg sport

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,625 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by MatthewK.

Apr 30, 2020 17:55 |  #1506

I got skunked yesterday. Saw warblers, vireos, flycatchers and more, yet disappointingly came home with zippee shots. Well, I don't like laying a goose egg, and all day at work I planned on getting back out there to make up for it, but there was a catch: it's pouring out. Undeterred, I donned my rain gear and headed into the drizzle.

Female Eastern Towhee, and a Northern Waterthrush.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,625 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 30, 2020 21:01 |  #1507

In the same outing, I also had a huge surprise when I had a brief visit by this American Redstart! I'm still after my perfect shot of these little guys, they are so skittish, but I feel that these are much better than what I've got in the past.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,625 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 30, 2020 21:12 |  #1508

mandokid1 wrote in post #19055502 (external link)
Thanks Guys!
Yes send everything up Phil,if you don't mind.
Yes matt,i love these guys,but looking for an alder,and a willow right now! Phoebes we have plenty!

Denis, I told this little fellow to hurry on his way, so you should see him in a few days, weather permitting :) This was just an ID shot from yesterday, nothing special, I couldn't get anywhere closer! Could be a Willow, could be an Alder, I can't quite tell.

HOSTED PHOTO

mandokid1
Cream of the Crop
13,659 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 01, 2020 06:45 |  #1509

MatthewK wrote in post #19055585 (external link)
I got skunked yesterday. Saw warblers, vireos, flycatchers and more, yet disappointingly came home with zippee shots. Well, I don't like laying a goose egg, and all day at work I planned on getting back out there to make up for it, but there was a catch: it's pouring out. Undeterred, I donned my rain gear and headed into the drizzle.

MatthewK wrote in post #19055669 (external link)
In the same outing, I also had a huge surprise when I had a brief visit by this American Redstart! I'm still after my perfect shot of these little guys, they are so skittish, but I feel that these are much better than what I've got in the past.

MatthewK wrote in post #19055675 (external link)
Denis, I told this little fellow to hurry on his way, so you should see him in a few days, weather permitting :) This was just an ID shot from yesterday, nothing special, I couldn't get anywhere closer! Could be a Willow, could be an Alder, I can't quite tell.

Great stuff Matt!
Excellent shot of the waterthrush.They can be tough to get.Nice redstart.They will be very common once they get here.Flycatchers are tough to I.D.,even for birders.The willow,acadian,least,a​nd alder look almost identical.Only their call is different and a sure way to identify them.When I see one I play a little audio to see if they respond,and then I know which species I,m dealing with.
Thanks for sending them up! Pouring rain here also,but getting milder,and midges are coming out,the fuel source for migrating warblers,on their way up!:-D

DENIS

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,625 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 01, 2020 10:58 |  #1510

Apparently, my outing during yesterday's rain storm was in the midst of a fallout, so it's no wonder I saw so much action. Both the Waterthrush and Redstart were photographed in the same spot, and there were also B&W warblers, kinglets, and that's just what I saw. It was insane how many different species I saw in just a 10 minute span, in one spot! I'm thinking I missed more than a few birds, there was a lot going on.

Hopefully I can still see some more action this afternoon after work!

https://birdcast.info …ssage-and-atlantic-coast/ (external link)

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
7,334 posts
Gallery: 648 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 01, 2020 17:31 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #1511

MatthewK wrote in post #19055585 (external link)

MatthewK wrote in post #19055669 (external link)

These really are very nice Matthew.
I always enjoy birds in these damp, sodden, conditions. (few seem to venture into such weather)
Its an ambience you can't create artificially. The light is so obviously different, but one which, along with the moisture produces a very pleasing imagery.

You've captured these very nicely.

Richard

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,371 posts
Joined Sep 2014

May 02, 2020 09:42 |  #1512

Starting to see more & more Scissortails now. :)

Wifey got these two, from the passengers seat, across me - out the driver side window.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,625 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 02, 2020 19:50 |  #1513

avondale87 wrote in post #19056159 (external link)
These really are very nice Matthew.
I always enjoy birds in these damp, sodden, conditions. (few seem to venture into such weather)
Its an ambience you can't create artificially. The light is so obviously different, but one which, along with the moisture produces a very pleasing imagery.

You've captured these very nicely.

I definitely want to get out in the rain more, it adds a new dimension to your bird photography... plus, there's no one else out there, so I can shoot in peace :)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,625 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 02, 2020 19:53 |  #1514

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19056493 (external link)
Starting to see more & more Scissortails now. :)

Wifey got these two, from the passengers seat, across me - out the driver side window.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by EyeSpyEagle in
./showthread.php?p=190​56493&i=i6645892

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by EyeSpyEagle in
./showthread.php?p=190​56493&i=i14910240

Reminds me of an action movie  :p I really like the meadow setting you have to shoot in, Phil. Looks to be some wildflowers and Queen Anne's Lace, and the Scissor Tails are a perfect compliment.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,625 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 02, 2020 20:35 |  #1515

Today was supposed to be the BIG day, forecast by Cornell BirdCast says this weekend is going to be crazy for migration. Well, today was a dud for me, only saw one migrant warbler (Blue Winged), and couldn't get a shot, they're super elusive and shy. So, I concentrated on the birds that value spending time with me :)

Eastern Phoebe, I still consider you my summer nemesis bird...

HOSTED PHOTO

I'm not 100% sure what bird this is:

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

180,222 views & 4,292 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.