Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Mar 2020 (Wednesday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Gallery: 2282 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 06, 2020 12:01 |  #241

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19058617 (external link)
I've been quite busy of late, with both work and fun.

There has been a lot of work at my on-call job for the funeral home, with several long-distance transports over the past week. . Then there are the autopsy trips where I have to drive someone 100 miles for an autopsy, wait for 2 - 4 hours while the pathologists to do the autopsy, then take bring the decedent back. . So some 200 mile round trips with some time to kill between the driving to and the driving fro.

There's a good herd of Bighorn Sheep near the hospital where the autopsies are done, so I went to the cliffs to see if I could spot some sheep, and I had a pleasant surprise; a ewe with a newborn lamb! . I have never seen a lamb so tiny, as I usually don't see Bighorns until June, when the lambs are much bigger. . It was cool to see such a youngster!

I also found 4 or 5 Yellow-breasted Chats in a nearby canyon by using a playback call on my phone. . Then I headed for another canyon to see if I could find a Canyon Wren when the pathologist called to say that the autopsy was complete. . My fun time was up and I had to head right back to the hospital before I could find my Canyon Wren. . That's okay, good to leave something for next time.

I like mixing fun and play in with the work. . Makes life more interesting.

It's nice that you can get photographs of different things due to your work travels. I also get pictures when I visit places for work. If I'm lucky, things go well and it isn't raining so I can take pictures. Once, I was sent to Boston for an emergency visit to a customer on a new instrument. Walking up to the instrument, I found someone installed a check-valve backwards- fixed in 30 seconds. Essentially 2 days of paid vacation!

sponsored links
DMax82
259 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 09, 2020 20:00 |  #242

Making some decent progress on the she shed. Built the deck today in order to get easier access to the last of the roof decking.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 80D and kit zooms. Also 50mm 1.8 and 10-16mm.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,299 posts
Gallery: 183 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

May 09, 2020 20:27 |  #243

I've been pursuing bird photography full time right here in my county. . Most of the year, there are very few good wildlife opportunities to be found around here, but from April thru mid-July, things are going gangbusters with birds in the throes of courtship and nesting!

My county is HUGE, and it is hard to keep tabs on all of the opportunities because of the driving distances involved. . And the need to get up at 3:30 or 4 o'clock most mornings, in order to get myself where the birds are by sunrise, means that I am usually out of energy by noon. . But I'm doing my best to put my camera in front of as many birds as I can:

Sora Rails atop Loup Loup Summit

Breeding Loons at Beth and Beaver Lakes

Ruddy Ducks and Cinnamon Teal at Buzzard Lake

Yellow-headed Blackbirds and Cinnamon Teal at Hess Lake

Spruce Grouse up at Long Swamp and Lone Frank Pass

Lewis' Woodpeckers on Omak Mountain

Mountain Bluebirds everywhere!

While afield, I spend about 70% of my time scouting and preparing, and 30% of my time actually photographing, or attempting to photograph, the birds.

Then there are a lot of hours put in at home - making decoys, making perches, trying to learn how to make artificial rocks, researching bird call apps and speakers to play them on, downloading bird sounds on my phone, repairing my blinds and making new blinds, contacting regional birders about what species they are seeing and where they are seeing them, etc, etc, etc.

There is no end of things that must be done now, so that the photos I take in the future can be better. . It's easily an 80 hour a week obsession during these months.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Archibald
You must be quackers!
12,254 posts
Gallery: 556 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 09, 2020 22:46 |  #244

DMax82 wrote in post #19060464 (external link)
Making some decent progress on the she shed. Built the deck today in order to get easier access to the last of the roof decking.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DMax82 in
./showthread.php?p=190​60464&i=i59518771
forum: The Lounge

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​60464&i=i223193218

Looks good!

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to the Beethoven Channel (external link).

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,409 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 10, 2020 00:09 |  #245

Archibald wrote in post #19060546 (external link)
Looks good!

Yes it does look good. Looks like a fun to build project.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

DMax82
259 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2020 20:53 |  #246

Archibald wrote in post #19060546 (external link)
Looks good!

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #19060566 (external link)
Yes it does look good. Looks like a fun to build project.

Thanks guys! This project has really helped me stay sane. It has also helped me clean and organize my property, given that I have lots of stacks of wood sitting around. I hope to get the metal roof on this week. The cedar that I was planning to use for siding looks pretty crappy, so I'm not sure if I'll try to dig out the decent pieces and hope that I have enough, or search for more.

Canon 80D and kit zooms. Also 50mm 1.8 and 10-16mm.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,385 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 11, 2020 03:32 |  #247

earlier i posted about being excited about feathers in a tree...and now i'm a bit more excited about white feathers in that same tree...still can't get out where i want to...but, getting out to a few spots hellps

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49865779892_b3cce63364_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2iYt​a4J  (external link) p-week19_20_0191 (external link) by andre gregoire (external link), on Flickr

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
10,364 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Joined Apr 2008

May 11, 2020 08:44 |  #248

We picked up some more starts for the garden yesterday. The social distancing involves placing an order online, setting an appointment to pick up said order, putting check in small box, and loading plants into vehicle, while not coming within 12 feet of anyone.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Timphoto's gallery.

Tim

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Dec 2005

May 11, 2020 12:28 |  #249

Before everything had shutdown I was working out in the field with Naturalists at the Cleveland Metroparks on a new guidebook featuring fish of NE Ohio. During my time indoors I've been processing the images. Here are two of the subjects. First is a Striped Shiner - around 2 " - and the second little guy is a male Rainbow Darter about 1 1/2" in length.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by sapearl.

May 11, 2020 12:51 |  #250

DMax82 wrote in post #19060464 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​60464&i=i59518771

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​60464&i=i223193218

From one who is very much a rank amateur when it comes to carpentry I really admire your craftsmanship; this is beautiful work that will give many years of good service and a lot of pleasure.;-)a

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,299 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

May 11, 2020 13:01 |  #251

sapearl wrote in post #19061373 (external link)
Before everything had shutdown I was working out in the field with Naturalists at the Cleveland Metroparks on a new guidebook featuring fish of NE Ohio. During my time indoors I've been processing the images. Here are two of the subjects. First is a Striped Shiner - around 2 " - and the second little guy is a male Rainbow Darter about 1 1/2" in length.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by sapearl in
./showthread.php?p=190​61373&i=i129162975

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by sapearl in
./showthread.php?p=190​61373&i=i203587623

Wonderful fish images, Stu!

I am curious to know how you are photographing them. . Are you using an underwater housing, or perhaps shooting them through glass? . I would love to photograph small fish like this someday, but haven't a clue as to how to go about it without dedicated underwater gear (which I can't afford).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by sapearl. (2 edits in all)

May 11, 2020 13:21 |  #252

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19061396 (external link)
Wonderful fish images, Stu!

I am curious to know how you are photographing them. . Are you using an underwater housing, or perhaps shooting them through glass? . I would love to photograph small fish like this someday, but haven't a clue as to how to go about it without dedicated underwater gear (which I can't afford).

Thanks Tom.

Fortunately for me the Naturalists had been doing all the heavy lifting. I don't have any underwater gear either - couldn't justify the high cost for nothing I do on a regular basis. We use a technique called "Electro-Fishing." Think Ghostbusters backpack minus all of the ectoplasm mess. We were set up on the river bank/lakeside with a couple of different display aquariums at three different locations over a 6-month period. The Naturalist waded into the waterway, submerged a grid of electrodes, energized them from his battery back pack and stuned many of the fish within about a 15 foot radius. He then nets them and brings them over to my "posing" tanks.

Once at the posing tank the Naturalist would take a clean piece of glass and try to "herd" the subject into an attractive pose. This was easier said than done and hundreds of shots were easily deleted.

Generally the fish were NOT cooperative when posing. I had to take at least 100 shots of each in order to get some nice keepers. Lighting could be problematic also. I used all available light outdoors with a few reflectors and gobos, paying close attention to reflections. Dark clothing and dark cloth on the tripod and camera body was essential. I'm sure there are people more expert at this than I am - I tend to travel light and improvise from experience or the lack thereof. Some of the shots were done indoors and I used off-camera bounce fill-flash for those. Others were done with backgrounds taped to the backs of the tanks, while a number had a far grassy field showing in the view. Those actually looked pretty natural and I was very pleased with the opportunistic results.

No fish were harmed or pan-fried during the filming of this project. Once done with their glamor shots we returned them to the waterway.

I spent many hours in post, cleaning up dirty water, crud on the fish, etc., but I never added anything to the fish that wasn't already there. I did add or subtract background as necessary and tried as much as possible to retain natural color without pumping it up in post. The naturalists thought I was very faithful in that regard. Most of my shots will be "cutouts" on a blank white page with text. Some will be accompanied with technical drawings.

This is the second such project I've done with the park folks and they are a joy to work with. I learn so much from them every hour I spend over there. I make it part of my continued brain-training.

GEAR LIST

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,299 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 11, 2020 13:45 |  #253

sapearl wrote in post #19061413 (external link)
We use a technique called "Electro-Fishing." Think Ghostbusters backpack minus all of the ectoplasm mess. We were set up on the river bank/lakeside with a couple of different display aquariums at three different locations over a 6-month period. The Naturalist waded into the waterway, submerged a grid of electrodes, energized them from his battery back pack and stuned many of the fish within about a 15 foot radius. He then nets them and brings them over to my "posing" tanks.

I am very familiar with stunning fish. . It reminds me of my childhood and young adult years when I lived in Pennsylvania. . My friends and I would get quarter sticks and half sticks of dynamite, duct tape them to a heavy rock, light the waterproof fuse, and toss them in a deep hole in a creek, or into a lake or pond. . It would blow up under water (we could feel the ground tremble like an earthquake!) and then a few minutes later, lots of stunned, unconscious fish would float to the surface. . We would pick the ones we wanted to eat, and then after a few minutes the others would kind of come back to life and groggily swim away. . We were, admittedly, scofflaws, but those surely were fun times!

sapearl wrote in post #19061413 (external link)
Once at the posing tank the Naturalist would take a clean piece of glass and try to "herd" the subject into an attractive pose.

I had to take at least 100 shots of each in order to get some nice keepers. Lighting could be problematic also. I used all available light outdoors with a few reflectors and gobos, paying close attention to reflections. Dark clothing and dark cloth on the tripod and camera body was essential.

So, it seems like you were shooting through the glass sides of small aquariums. . Is this correct?

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by sapearl. (2 edits in all)

May 11, 2020 14:25 |  #254

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19061427 (external link)

So, it seems like you were shooting through the glass sides of small aquariums. . Is this correct?

Yes, and that was a real challenge. Each photo shoot was at least three hours during which time the sun tracked across the sky, we had clouds, bright spots, constant exposure changes and a variety of glare depending upon how the movable glass was adjusted. We actually got a lot done in a very short period of time with no budget - just a lot of hardworking manpower.

GEAR LIST

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still have 8 digits left
17,575 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise. (3 edits in all)

May 11, 2020 15:46 |  #255

Well that sounds a lot more intense than my recent major PP dilemma. Should I prefer Colorchecker Passport profiles over various Developer default and/or their camera emulated profiles? :-) With this ongoing experiment I also decided to pay more attention to WB. I prefer things on the cooler side which I know may not represent the scene properly and create colour casts.

Also I visit a few themes here but I came across Urban Life & Travel. I really like that one. Digging out old photos and posting more recent ones have helped chew up time. Running of interesting things to watch. One day we realized we watched every Rules of Engagement rerun. Jeff is my hero and that gets me in as much trouble as he does.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

32,114 views & 283 likes for this thread
Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.