Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 26 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 22, 2017 12:58 |  #271

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4549/37541531264_5247a59684_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Zcqa​jq  (external link) 20171107-IMG_4634.jpg (external link) by the.bengineer (external link), on Flickr

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bassat. (3 edits in all)

Jan 13, 2018 06:19 |  #272
bannedPermanent ban

I took delivery of a used Σ24A yesterday. With nothing better to do in the middle of the night, I rattled off a bunch of test shots. Conditions were dimly lit TV room with a mixture of lighting. As expected, LiveView nailed focus every time. I got roughly 70% in-focus shots using phase-detect AF. Most of the misses were back-focused. Two out of the 30 misses were front focused, badly. For the conditions, I think the lens performed about as well as Canon lenses, maybe a touch worse. It did perform worse in dimly lit areas of the room, and on targets with little contrast, but I got the 'beep' every time. Using focus assist from 580EX II made no difference. Is this, more or less, what I should expect from this lens?

EDIT:
Will the dock help?
P.S.: Haven't tried it in decent light, yet.

When AF goes well, the results are astounding. Both shots are about 100% crops. First is 80D @ f/1.4, second 6D @ f/2.8.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

JoseCanseco
689 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 04, 2018 13:35 |  #273

Is there not much love for this lens? I picked one up recently and really like it so far. I also have the 35A, but the 24 gives a different look for sure. Here's a couple from a recent family session.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

My name is Jeff, not actually Jose Canseco.
Website (external link) Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link)

JoseCanseco
689 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 29, 2018 11:10 |  #274

Still no love for this lens?

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1761/28219680677_6495fa8e42_c.jpg

My name is Jeff, not actually Jose Canseco.
Website (external link) Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link)

AngelofDepth
754 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 28, 2019 22:32 |  #275

Trying to bring this thread back to life.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32785408147_d3a27d9cf3_h.jpg

flickr (external link)

AngelofDepth
754 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2014

Sep 08, 2019 10:13 |  #276

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48696764217_c25d829d70_h.jpg

flickr (external link)

bseitz234
602 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

May 19, 2020 08:30 |  #277

Just picked one up from LensAuthority; $500 was too good to pass up. This is my first Sigma lens, and so far I'm sold! Have only shot it on my 5d3, but this is impressive wide open...

HOSTED PHOTO

-Brian
5 EOS bodies, and constantly growing lens selection.
IG @bseitz234

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 20, 2020 13:19 |  #278

bseitz234 wrote in post #19065674 (external link)
Just picked one up from LensAuthority; $500 was too good to pass up. This is my first Sigma lens, and so far I'm sold! Have only shot it on my 5d3, but this is impressive wide open...

yup, it's an impressive lens.
I had issues with it focusing properly on my 1DS III but it works gorgeously on my Canon mirrorless cameras... with or without the speed booster.
Even with the AF issues, I still use it on the full frame because it is just magical.
For me, I love using as a pet portrait lens; fast enough for decently shallow DOF, wide enough for engaging environmental portraits. All around awesome IMO.

bseitz234
602 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

May 20, 2020 13:35 as a reply to  @ Marm O. Set's post |  #279

Yeah, I haven't noticed any focus issues on the 5D3, but I haven't been in super focus-critical situations, either (if focus on that fern I just posted were a bit in front or behind, it wouldn't really change the photo much). Pet photos sound like a great idea- I'm hoping I'm going to get to see my parents for a 6-ft-distant outdoor visit this weekend, so I'll have to bring this along to try with their beagle!

-Brian
5 EOS bodies, and constantly growing lens selection.
IG @bseitz234

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Marm O. Set.

May 20, 2020 14:20 |  #280

bseitz234 wrote in post #19066321 (external link)
Yeah, I haven't noticed any focus issues on the 5D3, but I haven't been in super focus-critical situations, either (if focus on that fern I just posted were a bit in front or behind, it wouldn't really change the photo much). Pet photos sound like a great idea- I'm hoping I'm going to get to see my parents for a 6-ft-distant outdoor visit this weekend, so I'll have to bring this along to try with their beagle!

I'm assuming that the issue is because of my old 1DS mk III. I have a bunch of other Canon crop sensor cameras (mirrored and mirrorless) that work fine with the lens.
I'd love to see the Beagle photos when they happen!
Here are two of mine. The first is nothing special but it shows the capabilities of the lens pretty well. It is shot wide open but the speed booster makes the aperture read as f/1.
The second is a better photo but really could have been taken with my 24-70 just as easily. Either way, I love this lens!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Stuperfox
Goldmember
1,880 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Stuperfox.

Dec 31, 2020 01:02 |  #281

Been 7 months since someone posted here. Enjoy a random self portrait I did, which is way harder than you can imagine when you have almost no way to see clearly.

HOSTED PHOTO

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
EOS R6 Gripped | 7D MK II Gripped | 24mm F1.4 | 35mm F2 IS | 135mm F2L | 17-40mm F4L | 70-200mm F2.8L IS II | 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 |

sponsored links

159,363 views & 324 likes for this thread
Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.