Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Mar 2020 (Wednesday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still have 8 digits left
17,456 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 19, 2020 09:28 |  #286

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19065093 (external link)
With respect, I think you are speaking without an understanding of the situation.

The Blackbirds use the tops of the cattails to perch on, but they use the understory of the cattails for nesting. . They choose the thickest parts of the understory for nest locations.

Cattails stalks/seedheads naturally break off sometime in their 2nd year, and fall down into the understory. . By early April, when the first females start looking for nest sites, about 1/4 of last season's cattails have already broken down on their own. . Over the next two months, about 90% of the remaining seedhead stalks will break down on their own, as well. . The spots in the understory that have broken-down seedhead stalks are favored for nesting locations, because they are thicker and offer more cover for the nests.

When I break down the seedhead stalks in late February and early March, I am just doing what nature would do on its own, but I am doing it a month or three early. . Breaking down the seedhead stalks actually provides more favorable nesting habitat, because it creates more cover down in the cattail understory where the females build the nests.

What I am doing is not "destroying habitat", as you accuse me of doing. . If you had an understand of the Red-winged Blackbird, and an understanding of the cattail's annual lifecycle, then I doin't think you would have made such an accusation. . It is usually best to reserve judgement unless you are really familiar with the species and its nesting habitat preferences.

Since I had the rental for the weekend I decided to go again yesterday. I had to crop this quite a bit. I posted shot shots of the day. From here https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=19065681 to thread 7607.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 9 months ago by digital paradise. (2 edits in all)

May 19, 2020 19:30 |  #287

Good use for an old truck cap. Ice fishing shack waiting for winter. It looks lonely. I didn't see anything there that day but I'd like to know what nested or nests in that tree at 1 O'clock.

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 19, 2020 19:34 |  #288

I think I did see these guys in there.

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,904 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

May 19, 2020 19:58 |  #289

Per Alameda County, "ORDER OF THE HEALTH OFFICER
OF THE COUNTY OF ALAMEDA DIRECTING
ALL INDIVIDUALS IN THE COUNTY TO CONTINUE SHELTERING AT
THEIR PLACE OF RESIDENCE EXCEPT FOR IDENTIFIED NEEDS
AND ACTIVITIES"...

I guess this frat party was necessary! I was not there, though, as my county was also under Shelter-in-Place orders. Kinda hard to see if the guys pictured in the prior post were there or not.

IMAGE: https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i63/wiltonw/2020_05_19_17_48_44_Berkeley_frat_party_2020_Google_Search.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds
IMAGE LINK: https://app.photobucke​t.com …45-445a-9775-99f4a6207ca4  (external link)

A good time was apparently had by all.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 19, 2020 20:03 |  #290

Wilt wrote in post #19066008 (external link)
Per Alameda County, "ORDER OF THE HEALTH OFFICER
OF THE COUNTY OF ALAMEDA DIRECTING
ALL INDIVIDUALS IN THE COUNTY TO CONTINUE SHELTERING AT
THEIR PLACE OF RESIDENCE EXCEPT FOR IDENTIFIED NEEDS
AND ACTIVITIES"...

I guess this frat party was necessary! I was not there, though, as my county was also under Shelter-in-Place orders. Kinda hard to see if the guys pictured in the prior post were there or not.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://app.photobucke​t.com …45-445a-9775-99f4a6207ca4  (external link)

A good time was apparently had by all.

They have been around.

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,873 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 20, 2020 22:21 |  #291

digital paradise wrote in post #19065995 (external link)
Good use for an old truck cap. Ice fishing shack waiting for winter. It looks lonely. I didn't see anything there that day but I'd like to know what nested or nests in that tree at 1 O'clock.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by digital paradise in
./showthread.php?p=190​65995&i=i57823104
forum: The Lounge

Looks Osprey to me, but that's common in my neck of the woods.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 20, 2020 22:35 |  #292

Just flowers and birds. Not really traveling anywhere do to my low immunity level. So I am stuck with what ever is or comes into my little area of the world!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

KT29
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Gallery: 251 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 21, 2020 15:46 |  #293

We've been really busy in my neighborhood reloading ammo just in case the effects of the shutdown prove to be more dangerous than the virus. Ammo is getting to be in short supply as the TP paper was/is. Lot of unhappy folks around anymore.:oops:

Terry -- The Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but sometimes it's just better
to Replace it.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,816 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited 9 months ago by Tom Reichner.

May 21, 2020 18:49 |  #294

digital paradise wrote in post #19033304 (external link)
..... what are you up to?

Well, I finally got my new bluetooth speaker and my new (to me) cell phone talking to each other. . Took me hours to get them paired, and I am relieved that it is finally all working.

The phone came with the iBird Pro app already installed on it (I couldn't figure out how to install it on my regular cell phone, so I had to get another phone just for calling birds).

Anyway, now that this calling system is up and running, I'm about to head out the door to drive up into the mountains and try to find some warblers by using the calls. . It'll be my first attempt doing this on my own, and I am excited to start on this new type of bird photography. . I'll be back home by nightfall, and check in to let y'all know how I fared.

The warbler species that inhabit this region are:

Common Yellowthroat
Townsend's Warbler
Black-throated Gray Warbler
MacGillivray's Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
American Redstart
Nashville Warbler
Yellow Warbler

Also in this region, and of interest to me:

Williamson's Sapsucker
Hermit Thrush

These are the species I will be trying to find with my new playback caller. . I'll be back home by nightfall, and check in to let y'all know how I fared.

EDIT: . . I was able to call in a Red-breasted Nuthatch, for some fair-to-middlin' photo opportunities. . I didn't find any other responsive birds.

Not a very successful evening, but that's okay, because the main thing now is to get used to operating the caller and setting the speaker up properly. . There's going to be a learning curve.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,873 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 22, 2020 12:36 |  #295

Still that's pretty cool for the first time out with it. I had no idea the app could be used that way.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 22, 2020 12:58 |  #296

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19066539 (external link)
Looks Osprey to me, but that's common in my neck of the woods.

It may be. I didn't see any in two days.

Image Editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,816 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

May 29, 2020 10:28 |  #297

I'm still up to my ears in bird photography. . Or I should probably say scouting and preparing for bird photography, as this takes much more time than the photography itself.

I've been using my new playback calling system for warblers and songbirds, with mixed results. . It works well on some species, bringing them right in to the call. . But other species don't come right to the call ..... they respond to the call readily enough, but only come in part way, then hang up in the brush 30 or 40 feet out away from the call, never landing on the branch I want them to land on. . It's a bit frustrating, as these difficult species are the ones that I want to photograph the most.

I got back up to the lake where the Loons live on Saturday. . Here's a pic my friend took of me photographing them.

HOSTED PHOTO

They have since chosen a nest site and made a nest, and the female sits on the nest most of the time. . The nest is way out on the other side of the lake, so in order to get photos of the nest and her on the nest, I am going to have to figure out a way of getting my canoe or kayak on my little car so I can paddle out to them. . That'll be a project for the upcoming week. . I've never seen or photographed baby Loons, and I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to do so right here in my region.

It's been a while since anyone has posted to this thread ...... I'd like to hear what y'all've been up to lately.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 29, 2020 10:50 |  #298

I know. It has been a while. Since things started easing up the thread slowed down. I figured we might convene in late fall ;-)a

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 29, 2020 13:06 |  #299

Outside of that not much going on. We went to my goddaughters for a back yard BBQ last week. Haven't seen that crew since last December. I sold buy 400 DO II. Seems like my shoulders are getting worse each month. Not sure if I'll regret that move but I'll see. I really liked it. I've always gotten good images out of my 100-400 and now due the R (and next MLIC's) I can AF with the 2X. I'm sure there is a hit on IQ but for my needs. I'm curios about the new RF 100-500. I'm praying the IQ is as good as the 100-400 at max focal length. If so I'll probably sell my 1.4 and 2X and get the RF ones. Not sure about the 2X. It won't be great for BIF but for stills of small birds. I guess I've sorta decided to change with the industry.

If Canon came out with this equivalent which is 1lb less than the 400 DO I'd be all over it. It's about the same weight as the 100-400. It is amazing how much difference 1lb makes after several hours. Easier to travel with than a big prime.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …_nikkor_500mm_f​_5_6e.html (external link)

I'm not going to hold my breath. It seems most people want zooms according to my local mom and pop shop. Then you get the big prime crowd.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 29, 2020 13:06 |  #300

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19070810 (external link)
I'm still up to my ears in bird photography. . Or I should probably say scouting and preparing for bird photography, as this takes much more time than the photography itself.

I've been using my new playback calling system for warblers and songbirds, with mixed results. . It works well on some species, bringing them right in to the call. . But other species don't come right to the call ..... they respond to the call readily enough, but only come in part way, then hang up in the brush 30 or 40 feet out away from the call, never landing on the branch I want them to land on. . It's a bit frustrating, as these difficult species are the ones that I want to photograph the most.

I got back up to the lake where the Loons live on Saturday. . Here's a pic my friend took of me photographing them.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tom Reichner in
./showthread.php?p=190​70810&i=i121287731
forum: The Lounge

They have since chosen a nest site and made a nest, and the female sits on the nest most of the time. . The nest is way out on the other side of the lake, so in order to get photos of the nest and her on the nest, I am going to have to figure out a way of getting my canoe or kayak on my little car so I can paddle out to them. . That'll be a project for the upcoming week. . I've never seen or photographed baby Loons, and I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to do so right here in my region.

It's been a while since anyone has posted to this thread ...... I'd like to hear what y'all've been up to lately.

That is nice rig.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

26,267 views & 283 likes for this thread
Life in the age of Social Distancing - what are you up to?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.