Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,638 posts
Gallery: 938 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

May 18, 2020 15:12 |  #1621

Here's a Warbling Vireo. At first I thought it was just another Red-eyed Vireo, which are very common here. Definitely lives up to its namesake, always going around and warbling!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Chris1966
151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2019

May 18, 2020 15:31 |  #1622

A Spoonbill early morning.
I love these birds that seem a bit too exotic for our parts of the world. Nonetheless this one wandered a bit from a large breeding colony of Spoonbills in an area that one is not allowed to go into. They are very social and almost always wander about in groups of around 4-6

HOSTED PHOTO

Chris1966
151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2019

May 18, 2020 15:35 |  #1623

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19064815 (external link)
Thanks for sharing the info on the Waterthrush Matt. Again, I've never heard of them.

As you can tell from my postings of late, the Dickcissels are passing through. They will probably be gone soon. The numbers we saw Friday were way down from the previous weekend. My goal in our most recent visit to Hagerman was to get a few nice shot's of Bobolinks. We saw them for the first time the prebious weekend, but they were just too far away to get anything decent. The distance thing was the same this visit, only the numbers were down - way down. I think we saw only two or three this trip. Due to the distance, I ended up pulling out bertha & using a 2xTC on the Z50 for an "effective" FL of 1800mm. I'll post what I got in the Z50 thread.

Here's another of Theresa's with her D500, 500PF + 1.4xTC. I think she's getting the hang of it. :)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by EyeSpyEagle in
./showthread.php?p=190​64815&i=i152966786
forum: Nikon Lenses

That is one pretty looking bird Philip! And nice performance from the 1.4TC. Does this bird belong to the Finch family? I have never seen anything like it in my part of the world.

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited 1 month ago by EyeSpyEagle.

May 18, 2020 15:48 |  #1624

Chris1966 wrote in post #19065316 (external link)
That is one pretty looking bird Philip! And nice performance from the 1.4TC. Does this bird belong to the Finch family? I have never seen anything like it in my part of the world.

Thanks Chris.

The Dickcissel is somewhat larger than the varieties of Finch we have here, although the beak & head shape is similar.

I just looked and was surprised to read the following:

https://www.allaboutbi​rds.org/guide/Dickciss​el/overview (external link)

While the Dickcissel is currently classified as part of the cardinal family (Cardinalidae), it has vexed taxonomists trying to determine its closest relatives. In the past, it has been placed in the New World sparrow family and also in the oriole and blackbird family.

That is an accurate reflection of their size & shape, so it does make sense. This guys (the males) just sing like crazy. As I mentioned, their song makes them very easy to locate.

Matt - check out the map on link above. Their region is documented to be just to the west of you. It appears they do visit WI. though.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Sep 2014

May 18, 2020 17:36 |  #1625

How 'bout a couple Scissortails....

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,638 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by MatthewK. (3 edits in all)

May 18, 2020 17:55 |  #1626

I've found a nesting pair of Eastern Phoebes, so for the time being they've been removed from my "nemesis" list because getting their photos is dead simple. In this capture, mama has captured what looks like a dragonfly nymph.

HOSTED PHOTO

Another shot of the Warbling Vireo too:

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,638 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 18, 2020 20:06 |  #1627

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19065325 (external link)
Thanks Chris.

The Dickcissel is somewhat larger than the varieties of Finch we have here, although the beak & head shape is similar.

I just looked and was surprised to read the following:

https://www.allaboutbi​rds.org/guide/Dickciss​el/overview (external link)

While the Dickcissel is currently classified as part of the cardinal family (Cardinalidae), it has vexed taxonomists trying to determine its closest relatives. In the past, it has been placed in the New World sparrow family and also in the oriole and blackbird family.

That is an accurate reflection of their size & shape, so it does make sense. This guys (the males) just sing like crazy. As I mentioned, their song makes them very easy to locate.

Matt - check out the map on link above. Their region is documented to be just to the west of you. It appears they do visit WI. though.

Wow, that's a pretty small range they cover! Will be on the lookout this summer when I go back home to WI.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,638 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by MatthewK.

May 19, 2020 17:47 |  #1628

I go to the hottest warbler hotspots in the area over these past few weeks, and get absolutely nothing.... I walk out my back door on my way to play tennis, wearing a purple shirt and blue shorts, carefully avoiding my pup's dog poop, and I literally come face to face with this exquisite Magnolia warbler. Naturally I dropped my tennis gear, ran back inside and grabbed old faithful :-) These warblers love the fir trees in my backyard!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Sep 2014

May 19, 2020 18:39 |  #1629

MatthewK wrote in post #19065964 (external link)
I go to the hottest warbler hotspots in the area over these past few weeks, and get absolutely nothing.... I walk out my back door on my way to play tennis, wearing a purple shirt and blue shorts, carefully avoiding my pup's dog poop, and I literally come face to face with this exquisite Magnolia warbler. Naturally I dropped my tennis gear, ran back inside and grabbed old faithful :-) These warblers love the fir trees in my backyard!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=190​65964&i=i217574947

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=190​65964&i=i146233532

What a treat!

They must have thought you were a painted human bunting! ;)

Beautiful shots!

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,638 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 19, 2020 21:15 |  #1630

Yeah, I was wearing some colorful workout clothes, didn't have birding in mind :p It didn't seem to affect them, as they were still the same level of scared as when I wear drab/camo.

That Magnolia Warbler has been here before the past couple of years, and I've never been able to get a shot of him. In fact, Magnolia Warblers have been vexing for me, so this was indeed a fantastic treat.

I also saw this female Cape May, and while the Maggie was definitely the more awesome looking bird, this little girl is actually the more rare find.

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,638 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 22, 2020 20:59 |  #1631

The fir trees behind my house keep delivering! Today, a Blackpoll Warbler took up temporary residence. I thought the Magnolia Warbler was super challenging... no way, easy day at the beach compared to this Blackpoll. Super, extreme, galactic level of difficulty, I barely got one look in a 4 hour period. They don't come out to the ends of the branches too often, instead sticking close to the trunk of the tree as they forage for bugs, so getting a clear lane of fire is nigh impossible. It also doesn't help that they have a 6th sense and seem to know exactly what side of the tree I'm hiding on, and will only come out of cover on the exact opposite side from where I am. Finally, they'll *poof* vanish out of nowhere, leaving me staring at an empty tree for 20 minutes. One time, I had given up and went back inside to go about my day, and I happened to looked out my back window only to see this guy back at the tree.

Hopefully he's still here in the morning, I want a second crack at this bird. I think I'll employ my blind too, it's gotten to that level :twisted:

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,638 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 23, 2020 20:48 |  #1632

Gray Catbird in full fluff as he defends his territory, aka the fir trees in my backyard. No crop, bird was super close. High ISO, so I wanted to see what I could do with the photo. Sony sensor + Topaz DeNoise = :)

HOSTED PHOTO

mandokid1
Cream of the Crop
13,659 posts
Gallery: 717 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

May 24, 2020 07:13 |  #1633

MatthewK wrote in post #19067573 (external link)
The fir trees behind my house keep delivering! Today, a Blackpoll Warbler took up temporary residence. I thought the Magnolia Warbler was super challenging... no way, easy day at the beach compared to this Blackpoll. Super, extreme, galactic level of difficulty, I barely got one look in a 4 hour period. They don't come out to the ends of the branches too often, instead sticking close to the trunk of the tree as they forage for bugs, so getting a clear lane of fire is nigh impossible. It also doesn't help that they have a 6th sense and seem to know exactly what side of the tree I'm hiding on, and will only come out of cover on the exact opposite side from where I am. Finally, they'll *poof* vanish out of nowhere, leaving me staring at an empty tree for 20 minutes. One time, I had given up and went back inside to go about my day, and I happened to looked out my back window only to see this guy back at the tree.

Hopefully he's still here in the morning, I want a second crack at this bird. I think I'll employ my blind too, it's gotten to that level :twisted:

MatthewK wrote in post #19068033 (external link)
Gray Catbird in full fluff as he defends his territory, aka the fir trees in my backyard. No crop, bird was super close. High ISO, so I wanted to see what I could do with the photo. Sony sensor + Topaz DeNoise = :)

Very nice images Matt!
Blackpoll in breeding colour would be a lifer for me.They breed further north than I can drive!(no roads)

DENIS
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mandokid1/ (external link)
7-Dmk11 5-D Mark 11.5D mark 111
Canon 100 macro, Canon MPE-65, Canon 16-35,24-70,70-200,300 F4,and Sigma 150-600 dg sport

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,638 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2020 15:59 as a reply to  @ mandokid1's post |  #1634

The Blackpoll was back today, and this time I donned my leaf camo, and hid inside of a hemlock tree next to the fir tree he was picking about in. I stood perfectly still for an hour straight, camera up to my eye, and barely got any clean shots of this fellow. Easily the most challenging bird I've face yet, he just wouldn't come out to the end of a branch, so I wasn't able to get that trophy pose against a distant, dark background. My arm is so sore from holding the camera up for that long, but it goes to demonstrate that the 500PF is absolutely fantastic for exactly this kind of application, and why I'll never go back to a heavy f/4 lens.

Here's an acceptable shot I got of him just now:

HOSTED PHOTO

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
7,395 posts
Gallery: 652 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 24, 2020 16:12 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #1635

Very nice pose and photo taken under duress ;-)a
You could clone out those three brighter green leaves at left and replace with the darker background.
That may help get more the result you were after.
I admire your perseverance.

Richard

sponsored links

184,622 views & 4,345 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.