Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,652 posts
Gallery: 941 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

May 26, 2020 16:20 |  #1651

As promised, here's my last few shots from yesterday's fir tree sightings:

Female Black-Throated Blue:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

And here's another visiting Magnolia Warbler, demonstrating how to find the little bugs that seem to be attracting all of the birds to this tree. I brushed up against a frond at one point, and the end of my 500PF was crawling with these little things.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
DocRoger
142 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2018
Post edited 1 month ago by DocRoger.

May 26, 2020 17:22 |  #1652

MatthewK wrote in post #19069502 (external link)
A hearty welcome to our little neck of the POTN woods, Roger! Nice way to make an entrance, too! Magnolias are extremely jittery and tough to get clear shots of, hat tip to your skills in capturing this guy!

You're in Ohio, anywhere near the legendary Magee Marsh? You basically live in Warbler Alley :-)

Thanks Matthew. Yes I am about an hour and fifteen minutes east of Magee, which they had to close down this year because of Covid-19. But living very close to Lake Erie we still get lots of the migrating warblers around here - it's awesome. Here's a couple more shots from this year's migration (it's just finishing-up). Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - superfast mover catching a midge (they were all over) and a Chestnut-sided.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jazzdoc/ (external link)

DocRoger
142 posts
Joined Apr 2018

May 26, 2020 17:31 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #1653

That's a gorgeous female BTB - I've only seen the males here.

Chris1966
151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 1 month ago by Chris1966.

May 28, 2020 17:02 |  #1654

Still learning the Z7. I clipped the wing of this Lapwing :cry:
With the Z7 it is so easy to solve, by simply switching to FX mode. But to do that in a split second and also think of doing it at the right moment.... takes some practice!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2014

May 28, 2020 18:26 |  #1655

Chris1966 wrote in post #19070518 (external link)
Still learning the Z7. I clipped the wing of this Lapwing :cry:
With the Z7 it is so easy to solve, by simply switching to FX mode. But to do that in a split second and also think of doing it at the right moment.... takes some practice!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Chris1966 in
./showthread.php?p=190​70518&i=i106035578
forum: Nikon Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Chris1966 in
./showthread.php?p=190​70518&i=i111496016

Excellent comparison, Chris. Thanks for sharing.

I can do that with the Z6, but it's not nearly as effective with a max res of 24mp. The Z7 has a clear advantage when shooting in DX mode.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

Chris1966
151 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 1 month ago by Chris1966. (3 edits in all)

May 29, 2020 04:53 |  #1656

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19070551 (external link)
Excellent comparison, Chris. Thanks for sharing.

I can do that with the Z6, but it's not nearly as effective with a max res of 24mp. The Z7 has a clear advantage when shooting in DX mode.

I am giving the Z7+500PF a serious try Philip, really want to get comfortable with the Z7 and find out if it has major drawbacks for me in practical shooting.
I bought the Meike MK-Z7G grip extension, and that is working out great, the body itself offers no rest or support for your little finger, but with the grip, it is just perfect.
Weakest point as of yet I find the subject acquisition against cluttered or busy backgrounds when doing BIF.
Against an even sky it works amazingly well, but against busy backgrounds it is not close to dslr level subject acquisition. None of the various AF modes really solves this weakness. I am not a hardcore BIF shooter, otherwise I would dismiss the Z7 for this alone, but apart from this weakness, AF does amazingly well, somewhat slower but more consistent and more accurate, although you guys are producing some great and sharp images with the D500!
My intention now, is to move forward with the Z system, and upgrade when the Z8 or Z7mkII comes, hopefully with around 55mp sensor for perfect crop mode. Z7 crop mode is álmost perfect, very close.

Battery life does not permit a full day shooting on one battery if you leave the camera awake constantly (to avoid missing shots), so I will be getting a spare.

Lastly, I am aiming to complete my wildlife set-up with the 500mm f4E. I am confident that it will have proper handling and balance with the Z7+Meike grip, and AF is reported to suffer very little speed-wise on the Z7 compared to the D850. My guess is that the Z7 on-sensor AF needs quite a bit of light to do its best.
Also, as much as I like handling the feather weight 500PF, I would not mind at all to have a bit more weight to handle, opposed to what I hear many say. The 3,09 kg of the 500mmf4E will still be very comfortable for me, even when adding the 1.4TC. 500PF and 500E+1.4TC should be perfect for me.

DocRoger
142 posts
Joined Apr 2018

May 29, 2020 16:07 |  #1657

Yep, lovin' this lens. Although sometimes too much reach (is that even possible?). This owl flew in so close - the wings extended shot is uncropped!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Sep 2014

May 29, 2020 18:18 |  #1658

DocRoger wrote in post #19070936 (external link)
Yep, lovin' this lens. Although sometimes too much reach (is that even possible?). This owl flew in so close - the wings extended shot is uncropped!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DocRoger in
./showthread.php?p=190​70936&i=i157865039

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DocRoger in
./showthread.php?p=190​70936&i=i35832111

Beautiful captures, Roger. I love Barred Owls. There are several pairs that nest in the general Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex.

Chris1966 wrote in post #19070702 (external link)
I am giving the Z7+500PF a serious try Philip, really want to get comfortable with the Z7 and find out if it has major drawbacks for me in practical shooting.
I bought the Meike MK-Z7G grip extension, and that is working out great, the body itself offers no rest or support for your little finger, but with the grip, it is just perfect.
Weakest point as of yet I find the subject acquisition against cluttered or busy backgrounds when doing BIF.
Against an even sky it works amazingly well, but against busy backgrounds it is not close to dslr level subject acquisition. None of the various AF modes really solves this weakness. I am not a hardcore BIF shooter, otherwise I would dismiss the Z7 for this alone, but apart from this weakness, AF does amazingly well, somewhat slower but more consistent and more accurate, although you guys are producing some great and sharp images with the D500!
My intention now, is to move forward with the Z system, and upgrade when the Z8 or Z7mkII comes, hopefully with around 55mp sensor for perfect crop mode. Z7 crop mode is álmost perfect, very close.

Battery life does not permit a full day shooting on one battery if you leave the camera awake constantly (to avoid missing shots), so I will be getting a spare.

Lastly, I am aiming to complete my wildlife set-up with the 500mm f4E. I am confident that it will have proper handling and balance with the Z7+Meike grip, and AF is reported to suffer very little speed-wise on the Z7 compared to the D850. My guess is that the Z7 on-sensor AF needs quite a bit of light to do its best.
Also, as much as I like handling the feather weight 500PF, I would not mind at all to have a bit more weight to handle, opposed to what I hear many say. The 3,09 kg of the 500mmf4E will still be very comfortable for me, even when adding the 1.4TC. 500PF and 500E+1.4TC should be perfect for me.

Glad to hear you're loving it! If you can figure out focus acquisition & lock on a Z body of a moving subject against a cluttered background, you could sell the strategy for enough to buy any camera body / lens combo you want. ;)

I agree with you that the IQ and focus sharpness of static and slow moving larger subject is outstanding. If they can continue to make steps forward, we'll be in great shape.
As far as battery life, there are a few things that will help extend it. Enable Airplane mode, disable auto image review, set the sleep timer for about 5 minutes are a couple that I recall off the top of my head. I'm sure you've probably done all that already, but worth sharing "just in case".

Have a great weekend everyone! :)

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,652 posts
Gallery: 941 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

May 30, 2020 09:58 |  #1659

It seems as though migration has wrapped up here, haven’t had any new visitors to the tree this past week, so, it seems like I’ll need to get off my lazy butt and get back out into the field :-P Yet, after the feverish pace of the past month, I’m sort of taking a break, hence no new postings as of late. I’ll be going back home to WI in a couple of weeks, and there’s opportunity to see Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Baltimore Oriole, which I’m excited about!

I’m really tempted to try out the Z50 or Z7, but I’ve been turned off on mirrorless AF by my experiences with the Canon EOS R, which in my opinion was terrible for birding, even after the most recent firmware updates that enhanced its AF. Some people had better experiences with it than me, and I have a sneaking suspicion the some of the issues I had may have been caused by the 600 f/4 III. So, I may someday rent the Z50 and Z7 to see perhaps if Nikon’s AF and general performance are more friendly to my style of shooting.

Chris1966
151 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 1 month ago by Chris1966. (6 edits in all)

May 31, 2020 05:51 |  #1660

My honest advice Matthew: stick with the D500 ;-)a
D500+500PF is the best well rounded package i.m.o. and gives the best shooting experience overall, as long as you leave the 1.4TC off.
That said, the Z7+500PF is the perfect companion for a morning or evening stroll. Some of its qualities add up to a great user experience when you are not in full bright daylight, and when you are not shooting fast action. For instance: the shutter in EFCS mode is really silent, and no mirror sound/slap. Auto focus just locks on and is free of variables. You get live exposure preview. You can switch between FF mode and DX mode in no time, making it infinitely more easy to get the right composition, but also, you can move the AF point around across almost the whole frame easily.
Also, I can use VR normal with the Z7, and go to shutter speeds like 1/160s with perfectly sharp images when light gets less, provided I am not shooting fast critters of course.

I recently watched a video, comparing the 500PF and the 500mm f4E on the Z7, and it appears that the 500PF slows down noticeably on the Z7 compared to the D850, but the 500mmf4E is almost as fast on the Z7 as it is on the D850. This is in line with the limited low light AF capabilities of the Z7 (although it still does properly AF after I stop taking images due to the loss of quality). The on sensor AF of the Z7 needs f4 or faster to work at its full capacity. Since my intention is now firmly to add the 500mm f4E next year, I decided to go ahead with the Z7 and its successor in time. Of course I will keep the 500PF for the morning and evening strolls and for whenever I don't want considerable weight on my back.

Main reasons for getting the 500mm f4E are: performance with the 1.4TC: 700mm/f5.6 (a big one for me), better separation: shooting a lot of wading birds or birds in grasslands, with their environment close around them, I miss the extra bit of separation when the environment is not that attractive. F4 for the winter time, I like to shoot winter guests but light gets really poor here in winter. The limited DR and post processing latitude of the Canon 7DII drove me absolutely nuts this winter with the 400DOII+1.4TC F5.6 combo.

Here is one with the Z7+500PF, a Jay that landed in front of my house this morning. They are very skittish, so not something that happens a lot!

MatthewK wrote in post #19071246 (external link)
It seems as though migration has wrapped up here, haven’t had any new visitors to the tree this past week, so, it seems like I’ll need to get off my lazy butt and get back out into the field :-P Yet, after the feverish pace of the past month, I’m sort of taking a break, hence no new postings as of late. I’ll be going back home to WI in a couple of weeks, and there’s opportunity to see Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Baltimore Oriole, which I’m excited about!

I’m really tempted to try out the Z50 or Z7, but I’ve been turned off on mirrorless AF by my experiences with the Canon EOS R, which in my opinion was terrible for birding, even after the most recent firmware updates that enhanced its AF. Some people had better experiences with it than me, and I have a sneaking suspicion the some of the issues I had may have been caused by the 600 f/4 III. So, I may someday rent the Z50 and Z7 to see perhaps if Nikon’s AF and general performance are more friendly to my style of shooting.

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 01, 2020 15:43 |  #1661

Very nice and well thought out post, Chris. During my very brief stint with the Z7, the 500PF was not shipping yet.

From my current experience with the Z50 & Z6, the 500PF works similarly well but it a bit faster on the Z50 time after time. Naturally, more light from an F4 (300PF F4, 600 F4, 70-200 F2.8, etc.) certainly helps. I do with I could re-evaluate the Z7 now that I have a reasonably understanding of the Nikon ecosystem and more realistic expectations of the Z line.

Here's a slight change of pace for us....

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

DocRoger
142 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Jun 02, 2020 06:16 |  #1662

I've been enjoying this amazing lens for about 1 month (couple of recent images below). Loving the effective 750mm reach on the DX body.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited 1 month ago by EyeSpyEagle. (2 edits in all)

Jun 02, 2020 10:33 |  #1663

DocRoger wrote in post #19072704 (external link)
I've been enjoying this amazing lens for about 1 month (couple of recent images below). Loving the effective 750mm reach on the DX body.

Nice ones Roger.

Am I hallucinating again? I thought when I scanned this earlier today, and there was a question regarding low SS shooting & VR....???.....

In case I am not having flashbacks to years gone by, ( :-P ) I've had luck shooting as low as 1/100 handheld, using short bursts & Sport Mode VR. I have shot slower, but it becomes a real crapshoot - at least for me.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

DocRoger
142 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Jun 02, 2020 10:45 |  #1664

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19072808 (external link)
Nice ones Roger.

Am I hallucinating again? I thought when I scanned this earlier today, and there was a question regarding low SS shooting & VR....???.....

In case I am not having flashbacks to years gone by, ( :-P ) I've had luck shooting as low as 1/100 handheld, using short bursts & Sport Mode VR. I have hot slower, but it becomes a real crapshoot - at least for me.

Haha, no hallucinations. I re-read the thread and saw that the post by Chris before mine talked about SS and it pretty much answered my question so I edited it out. But thanks for the info and I'm going to see how it works for me but so far I think 1/160 is about as low as I've gone. :-D

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 02, 2020 20:52 |  #1665

This was odd. We don't have much in the way of cactus in our area.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

sponsored links

186,738 views & 4,376 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.