Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 30 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your Bird Portraits

Itsed65
Goldmember
4,188 posts
Gallery: 1807 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

May 31, 2020 20:56 |  #61261

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49958114476_8d4f5db57c_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2j7C​oVj  (external link)
Mom and the Twins (external link) by lennycarl08 (external link), on Flickr

Fuji XT-2, XT-3, Sony A7RIV, A9 and RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
SYS
Cream of the Crop
11,720 posts
Gallery: 322 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

May 31, 2020 20:59 |  #61262

Great Horned Owl

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Shortaction
227 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jul 2018

May 31, 2020 21:00 as a reply to  @ post 19072018 |  #61263

These following are the synonyms for mislead, would you use any of those to describe DP's Bald Eagle post?: deceive, delude, take in, lie to, fool, hoodwink, lead astray, throw off the scent, send on a wild goose chase, put on the wrong track, pull the wool over someone's eyes, pull someone's leg, misguide, misdirect, misinform, give wrong information to;

These are the synonyms for misleading: synonyms: deceptive, confusing, deceiving, equivocal, ambiguous, fallacious, specious, spurious, false, mock, pseudo, illusory, delusive, evasive;

If DP had posted his Bald Eagle in a Thread titled Wild and Free Bird Portraits or had an attached statement saying "yesterday I was on a wild wilderness hike" that would be misleading. His post was in no way shape or form misleading.

RW123
773 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 31, 2020 22:08 |  #61264

Adorable

HOSTED PHOTO

Rich
Gear List | My Flickr (external link)

PCousins
Goldmember
1,755 posts
Gallery: 1191 photos
Joined Nov 2014

May 31, 2020 22:22 |  #61265

Great Spotted Woodpecker

On my off the track forest walks I came across the sound of young birds chirping waiting to be fed. It was easy to locate where the sound was coming from a, "hole in a tree". I waited 10 minutes and sure enough the parent came in with food. Having found 3 Woodpecker nests in the past 3 days this one is perfect for light and has no obstructions. I reckon the young are less than a week old as they do not show their faces and the food coming in is small. It takes 3 weeks for the young to fledge. I shall be back in 10 days hoping to see their faces and with some luck a few days latter I may see them fledge.

HOSTED PHOTO

PCousins
Goldmember
1,755 posts
Joined Nov 2014

May 31, 2020 22:28 |  #61266

I didn't have to get out the car for this photo. Buzzards are so alert, as soon as you open the door they are off.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
15,255 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 31, 2020 22:34 |  #61267

PCousins wrote in post #19072088 (external link)
Great Spotted Woodpecker

It takes 3 weeks for the young to fledge. I shall be back in 10 days hoping to see their faces and with some luck a few days latter I may see them fledge.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by PCousins in
./showthread.php?p=190​72088&i=i194606489
forum: Birds

What an awesome opportunity you have found! . To have a nest that is low enough to the ground to be photographed effectively, and to be positioned for favorable light in either the morning or the evening, is really quite a rare and special opportunity.

I have spent a great deal of time in the forests and scablands these past few weeks searching for cavity nests, and only come up with one that is favorable for photography. . But it is of a very common species which I have already photographed quite a bit - the Northern Flicker.

What you found is a treasure, and it seems that you realize fully how good of an opportunity it is, because of what you said about coming back in the near future to photograph the young when they are developed enough to stick their heads out of the nest hole in their eagerness for food.

I wish you the best with this project - please keep us posted.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

PCousins
Goldmember
1,755 posts
Joined Nov 2014

May 31, 2020 22:41 |  #61268

Sedge Warblers have an amazing song. This one was going to 3 different plants continuously. I had the sun directly behind and I was ready, focused and waiting. I was surrounded by mosquito's and did not want to move. I had my camouflage gear on and after 15 minutes there he appeared in front of me. It was worth the bites to my hands to get this shot.

HOSTED PHOTO

PCousins
Goldmember
1,755 posts
Joined Nov 2014

May 31, 2020 22:55 |  #61269

Tom Reichner wrote in post #19072091 (external link)
What an awesome opportunity you have found! . To have a nest that is low enough to the ground to be photographed effectively, and to be positioned for favorable light in either the morning or the evening, is really quite a rare and special opportunity.

I have spent a great deal of time in the forests and scablands these past few weeks searching for cavity nests, and only come up with one that is favorable for photography. . But it is of a very common species which I have already photographed quite a bit - the Northern Flicker.

What you found is a treasure, and it seems that you realize fully how good of an opportunity it is, because of what you said about coming back in the near future to photograph the young when they are developed enough to stick their heads out of the nest hole in their eagerness for food.

I wish you the best with this project - please keep us posted.

Thank you Tom. I only hope I can find the tree again. I love these opportunities, like your Northern Flicker this too is a common species but I enjoy the challenge of getting the right shots without disturbing them. The nest is about 25ft above the ground and I'm about 50-60ft away so the angle is not too bad. I hope to post some images for you all to see nearer the time.

bryzf1
972 posts
Gallery: 358 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2011

May 31, 2020 23:03 |  #61270

One from today while camping in Tucson...

HOSTED PHOTO

Bryan
Switched to Sony - A7iii | A9 | 12-24G | 28 f/2 | 35 f/1.4 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4GM | 135 f/1.8GM | 100-400GM
flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
15,255 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 31, 2020 23:06 |  #61271

PCousins wrote in post #19072098 (external link)
The nest is about 25ft above the ground and I'm about 50-60ft away so the angle is not too bad. I hope to post some images for you all to see nearer the time.

I actually bought a 12 foot tall orchard ladder for such situations. . Then I mounted an Enduro ball head on the top step, so the whole ladder kind of functions as a 12 foot tall tripod that I can stand on. . It comes in really handy, but it is a real pain to carry it out into the bush. . I painted it camo so that once I find a high nest, I can leave it tucked away under some foliage and be confident that it won't be seen and stolen. .Beats having to carry it to and from the care on every outing. . Somewhere I must have some photos of the ladder in action ...... I'll see if I can dig 'em up.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
15,465 posts
Gallery: 643 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 31, 2020 23:28 |  #61272

avondale87 wrote in post #19071996 (external link)
Sha this series has been amazing and I've enjoyed seeing such.
Really beautiful photos and fascinating too.

Oh dear Mike
Mice! Things must be pretty tough over yonder  :p
I'll have to see what Red Cross can do!

Oh my gosh Richard; you thought I was eating them raw!! :eek: Heck no...I roast them over an open fire before eating eating them whole. :p:lol:

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
15,465 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 31, 2020 23:38 |  #61273

SYS wrote in post #19072069 (external link)
Great Horned Owl
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by SYS in
./showthread.php?p=190​72069&i=i129959773

First-rate close-up portrait of this GHO, SYS!

bryzf1 wrote in post #19072100 (external link)
One from today while camping in Tucson...
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by bryzf1 in
./showthread.php?p=190​72100&i=i159377092

Nice capture, Bryan. I like the way you composed this shot.

LD, or Mike

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
15,465 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 31, 2020 23:46 |  #61274

Bullockk's Oriole

HOSTED PHOTO

LD, or Mike

Clifty
195 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined May 2020

Jun 01, 2020 00:28 |  #61275

Finally got a bit further afield (all of about 10 k's) and stumbled across a mob of Yellow Tails demolishing a couple of Pine trees as they are want to do. I managed a few reasonable portraits, some in flight and a couple of are you looking at me's but the weather was changeable to say the least from bright sun to heavy cloud.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

13,140,190 views & 828,065 likes for this thread
Post your Bird Portraits
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.