Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2019 (Thursday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos

taxon
25 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 21, 2020 01:41 as a reply to  @ post 19066155 |  #1786

David_Wales, the bullfinch (MUGURAR in Romanian) and goldfinch (STICLETE) you show us don't seem as sharp as they could be.
What's going on, what do you think is the cause?

canonigraph

sponsored links
David_Wales
32 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2020

May 21, 2020 04:11 as a reply to  @ taxon's post |  #1787
bannedPermanently

Probably because they are taken through a glass window, therefore I am adding reflection. Unfortunately, I'm in the UK shielding group and not allowed outside my home, therefore my photography has to be taken through my window. Once I'm allowed out, I'm sure the clarity will get better - hopefully ߘ

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This is a Female Blackcap Warbler taken through the window into my garden.

JayLT
688 posts
Gallery: 392 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Sep 2019

May 22, 2020 01:57 |  #1788

This camera continues to impress for macro work (and other things, but I'm stuck at home).

This is an adult antlion. Something I don't get to see all too often, but have some of the best eyes of the insect work in my opinion. The are mostly nocturnal, and the adults like this tend not to live long so it's a rare occasion that I find one and am able to get a few shots off of it.

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr stream: https://flic.kr/ps/se6​hB (external link)
Currently using Canon 90D and 5Ds

taxon
25 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 22, 2020 02:24 as a reply to  @ JayLT's post |  #1789

Awesome picture!
But how did you get this magnification, did you use extension tubes or how? Thanks for sharing.

canonigraph

JayLT
688 posts
Gallery: 392 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Sep 2019

May 22, 2020 03:05 |  #1790

taxon wrote in post #19067161 (external link)
Awesome picture!
But how did you get this magnification, did you use extension tubes or how? Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I use a Raynox DCR-250 to give the Canon 100mm macro lens a bit more magnification. Also though, these adult antlions are not overly small, this one was probably around 3" in total length, the body in the pic here was probably about 1" long. There's a small crop to this shot to help get it centered.

Flickr stream: https://flic.kr/ps/se6​hB (external link)
Currently using Canon 90D and 5Ds

russbecker
372 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 22, 2020 06:24 as a reply to  @ David_Wales's post |  #1791

Probably because they are taken through a glass window, therefore I am adding reflection

Actually, you are adding refraction. With a single-pane window there are two glass/air interfaces; with a double-pane (even worse) there are four, and these are not made of optical glass.

Try to shoot as close as possible to normal incidence to minimize the refraction splitting the light path (the splitting varies across the frame because of the range of incident angles and the waviness of the window glass -- the net effect is to blur things out). I have discovered that you can find some parts of a window that are 'pretty good' and if you shoot as close to normal incidence as you can the results are not too terrible, other than the overall light loss from all of the air/glass interfaces (that don't have anti-reflection coatings) costing you light. In my case, shooting through some argon filled double-pane glass you lose 1/2 to 2/3s f-stop.

7D2 | 80D | Fuji X-H1 | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Fuji XF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Neewer X 25mm f/1.8 | Neewer X 32mm f/1.6

Archibald
You must be quackers!
12,171 posts
Gallery: 551 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 22, 2020 09:39 |  #1792

JayLT wrote in post #19067154 (external link)
This camera continues to impress for macro work (and other things, but I'm stuck at home).

This is an adult antlion. Something I don't get to see all too often, but have some of the best eyes of the insect work in my opinion. The are mostly nocturnal, and the adults like this tend not to live long so it's a rare occasion that I find one and am able to get a few shots off of it.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by JayLT in
./showthread.php?p=190​67154&i=i188501232
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Great shot, Jay. The eye is very interesting, and the purple color adds a lot.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to the Beethoven Channel (external link).

cdmazoff
218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2019

May 22, 2020 11:38 as a reply to  @ JayLT's post |  #1793

Wow!!

"His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances
like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free" (Anon)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/cdmazoff/ (external link)

David_Wales
32 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2020

May 22, 2020 12:08 as a reply to  @ russbecker's post |  #1794
bannedPermanently

Thanks Russ. Makes sound sense. Science was never my strong point, but I will definitely get closer to the glass, and find that sweet spot. Unfortunately my wheelchair does prevent this, so I will have to get a swivel chair, and haul myself up to be able to get a position to view through the bay window.

Much appreciate the advice.

Regards David

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 403 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 24, 2020 14:41 |  #1795

HIBISCUS WITH LONG-LEGGED FLY

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

I took this photo with my birding lens, from about a distance of about 20'. The first is very slightly cropped. The second is cropped to show the detail and color on the fly.
I am happy with the resolution of the 90d sensor. 90d for BIF, not so much.

MIKEIVAN

cdmazoff
218 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Jun 01, 2020 11:51 |  #1796

Just had her hair done: Going out to Dinner!

HOSTED PHOTO

I spy!

HOSTED PHOTO

cdmazoff
218 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Jun 04, 2020 16:01 |  #1797

Warning: X-rated: Copulating Blue-eyed Darner Dragonflies

HOSTED PHOTO

cdmazoff
218 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Jun 07, 2020 21:56 |  #1798

Red-tailed Bumblebee!! Well thank God we still got bees!! Was really worried last year

HOSTED PHOTO

FrankKolwicz
59 posts
Joined Apr 2020

Jun 10, 2020 11:31 |  #1799

Follow-up to the 90d's MFA/AF problems with 600/4 and telextenders:

I have a chance to photograph some cooperative Bullock's Orioles at much closer distances than usual and didn't need the extenders, so the camera was on the bare 600 giving an effective focal length of 960mm. The distance was somewhere around 30 feet, so atmospheric distortion wasn't a major problem, as it usually is with subjects at greater distances.

It's been unusually cool and wet for early June here in western Oregon, an extension of normal winter weather, so it's really like most of my days in the field. Exposure settings were 1/500 sec, f/8, and ISO1600, more or less. These are my default settings most of the year.

The performance increase of AF was remarkable, based on the percentage of critically sharp eyes (the extra DOF of using two stops closed aperture instead of 1 stop or wide-open with the extenders helps). It was also improved for the bright yellow-colored Orioles' heads versus Black-headed Grossbeaks and black-headed Spotted Towhees done at the same time and same distance. In all cases I was using single point AF, OneShot Mode and held the AF point on the birds' heads, on the eye when possible.

I think this pretty much confirms for me that the 90d's AF system is seriously downgraded from the 5dsR that I've been using. Over several years use I never noticed that the 5dsR performed so much poorer under very similar conditions. And I didn't go out to photograph the birds thinking of, or looking for, a performance test, it just popped out at me as I edited the images.

The 90d is still my primary body, but for other reasons, and I'll just have to put up with it's AF performance (and that damned .CR3 RAW format).

cdmazoff
218 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Jun 11, 2020 00:27 as a reply to  @ FrankKolwicz's post |  #1800

Can you please post the Bullock's shot?

sponsored links

522,381 views & 6,706 likes for this thread
-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.