Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Apr 2020 (Thursday) 09:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not sure about this one

kbColorado
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 16, 2020 09:35 |  #1

This photo is one I keep changing my mind about. I get a feeling that I should like it more than I do.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49775145523_7700fa6bce_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2iQs​CCc  (external link)

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
4,835 posts
Gallery: 2015 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 10 months ago by Capn Jack.

Apr 16, 2020 10:07 |  #2

It is a cool picture.

Maybe too cool, because there are three interesting things catching my attention. The unique buildings, the frosty trees, and the mountain above the clouds. There is nothing that highlights one of those three subjects. If the buildings or mountain were lit, it would define a subject.

EDIT- maybe crop it top across the middle? It may work as a diptych image.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,916 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 16, 2020 10:23 |  #3

I like it!

I wish it was WIDER... which could isolate the building more and give a feeling of expanse. A pano would be sweet.

My only thing to maybe try is reducing the contrast of the building. Bringing down the darks may help soften it a bit.

This is a perfect slice of time with a dusting of snow. I wish I would have been there to experience it.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,895 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 16, 2020 13:22 |  #4

First.... I'll say I like it. But I also agree with Capt Jack.... at first view, it was a little confusing at first what the subject was. I'm not a technical wonk... so often "sharpness" isn't a thing I care as much about. But the image seems to lack clarity, the building is rather darks - lack of detail, and the tree'ed area doesn't seem very sharp, same with the open hill area behind the cloud. So it seems to be fighting to say "hay look at me, I am about...... "

Love that area, particularly after a light or even heavy snow. Perhaps a smidge of sharpening and lightening of the shadows in the barn area... but a good find and nice catch.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,389 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post edited 10 months ago by joedlh.

Apr 17, 2020 07:48 |  #5

What the others have said. However, I think there's a role for an image that conveys a sense of place and time and not necessarily a specific subject. Having said that, I wish there was more space above the mountains. They're kind of pushed off to the top all by their lonesome.

A shot like this needs to be printed BIG.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Pippan
Goldmember
3,346 posts
Gallery: 323 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 17, 2020 07:55 |  #6

I love the way there is a really beautiful picture in the bottom two-thirds, then you notice the mountaintop subtly peeking above the clouds, putting the rest into perspective. I think it's superb and that you should definitely like it more than you evidently do.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,748 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by mathogre.

Apr 17, 2020 20:07 |  #7

kbColorado wrote in post #19047448 (external link)
This photo is one I keep changing my mind about. I get a feeling that I should like it more than I do.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2iQs​CCc  (external link)

One thing about a photo you question is that you may have done something different. If you aren't sure if you like it now, you may decide later. I would do neither a diptych nor a triptych, though done right (as described later) a triptych would be awesome.

Were this mine, I'd remove the wooden structure to the right of the buildings (the double T looking thing). Photoshop or Lightroom could take this out in an instant. That said...

This is brilliant! It's the mountains coming out of the clouds that makes it magical. Seeing that was my OMG moment. That makes it a very cool photo!

Look at the elements. You have three bands. You have the barns and farm structures in the foreground with the brown grass. In the distance you have the second band, the hills and mountain base dusted in snow in a minty green. Finally you have the band of clouds, with the mountain tops breaking through in the top third of that band. You have the road on the right leading you to the hills, along with a trail or runoff stream on the left of the second band, again leading you up into the hills toward the mountains. As Joe said, this needs to be printed BIG!

On the triptych, if you had a way to print and frame this with breaks along the bands, irregularly shaped, wow, that would be amazing. (The attached image shows the shapes, if a bit exaggerated and not quite to scale.) It would not be cheap, and you'd really want it done by someone who knows what they're doing, but it would be a very cool print. You'd have three trapezoids.

If you end up not liking it, you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with that! I love it, though. Bravo!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Photo Collection (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,916 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2020 20:38 |  #8

You could compress the cloud area and bring the mountains lower. Nobody would EVER know you did it and it would probably look nice. This would lessen the negative space that my eye keeps going to.

I love the image as well. Just thinking of simple things to improve it.

Did you hang around and take more?

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,846 posts
Gallery: 730 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

May 31, 2020 14:52 |  #9

I like it a lot.

Maybe there is a bit more sky/clouds at thetop on your original. Maybe it got lost in cropping or adjusting the horizontal?
I'd put it back or fake it if possible.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Joe ­ Thibodeau
41 posts
Joined Sep 2019
Post edited 8 months ago by Joe Thibodeau.

Jun 02, 2020 16:59 |  #10

I am over the fence on lots of images. Mostly because nature bats last and you get what you get when you get it. If you like the scene and feel it is compelling enough to shoot perhaps shooting it another 5 times may yield an image with a greater impact. Most often that is not possible. I do like the soft color palette and the composition works. I wish the light was better. It's flat and there's no way to fix that. All in all though it's a scene I have never witnessed and it was captured by a competent photographer. I am not a huge fan of muted gray and flat brown tonalities. Light rules in my house. Great light makes a image come alive. That said this image is absolutely reasonable and authentic to the scene.

Joe Thibodeau

sponsored links

1,094 views & 11 likes for this thread
Not sure about this one
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.