Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 28 Aug 2009 (Friday) 08:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brutal Friday Critique - are you ready? Well punk are you?

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 04, 2020 08:01 |  #1036

ShootTwice wrote in post #19055163 (external link)
Any C&C appreciated, thank you!!!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by ShootTwice in
./showthread.php?p=190​55163&i=i116752700
forum: Critique Corner

This image has soooo much potential!!! Let me add the disclaimer that again this is just my opinion and nothing more. For me I see the rocks as distracting elements, they don't have the character of the bridge, to me they take away from the photo. Also the tree on the left distracts a bit. I can see this cropped with that tree taken out and the rocks on the bottom cropped out - then to me the focus is bridge etc and minimizes the distractions. If you have access to this location again, I would try to take the shot from the center rock, using a wide angle lens on a full frame camera - would like to see what that would look like. (also, if you could capture it with a salmon jumping in the river and a bear in the background that would be awesome sauce!). :)

Thanks much for sharing.

Scott

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

sponsored links
stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 04, 2020 08:08 |  #1037

duckster wrote in post #19052299 (external link)
My daughter and I took a walk downtown to break the monotony of "stay at home"

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by duckster in
./showthread.php?p=190​52299&i=i179916779
forum: Critique Corner

Hey Duck! Sorry, I just realized that I missed this one. I know what you were going for here. You have a cute girl and a few texture elements and tried to get that combo to work - totally get it, I see the same. What I think was missed here was the creative part - what I mean is person in the center makes it hum drum. The elements are there but don't add to the photo. You are obviously shooting up and the angles in my opinion don't seem to make this a wall hanger. I can maybe see this one taken from different angle and zoomed in on the girl, I would have liked to see her eyes and have the brick/wood etc as secondary in the photo, with all of the focus on the girl. Sorry, for me this is a tough one to figure out without being there at the location and how to arrange the elements into a creative photo.

Thanks much for sharing!!!

Scott

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

duckster
Goldmember
1,542 posts
Gallery: 338 photos
Joined May 2017

May 04, 2020 09:32 as a reply to  @ stathunter's post |  #1038

Thanks for your thoughts!

I did think it was a interesting combination of shapes/textures. Just need to do some more work on trying to get it "together". It was an old loading dock that I came across in a alley in our small town's downtown area.

plantastic
369 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

May 04, 2020 12:46 |  #1039

stathunter wrote in post #19057453 (external link)
Great shot. I tend to agree with the others. There are a lot of great elements in this shot. I do think that you may have too much sky in the shot. Here is what I see from my end, I can see the shot taken from the right a little bit more - this gives more info/detail on the turtle -shows more of the turtle and have the sky/ocean etc as the supporting cast in this photo. You may have actually tried to hard and missed the killer shot right in front - the sea turtle. Again, this is just my two cents - and pretty easy to play Monday morning quarterback after the work has been done.

Thanks for sharing, this shot makes me deeply miss my time on the beach in SoCal.

Scott

Thank you, Scott, for taking the time.

I totally get what you are saying and agree!

ShootTwice
45 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Feb 2020

May 06, 2020 21:39 |  #1040

A break from what I like to shoot for fun, this is a promo shot for a new product at work:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

C&C on any post ALWAYS welcome.
Canon 5DIV | Canon 16-35L IS | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 70-200L II 2.8 | Canon 50L | Canon 100L

yo_vinny
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2020

May 10, 2020 19:54 |  #1041

I've been shooting for a few months now and this is the first image I've gotten that I'm actually happy with. Would love to have someone who knows what they are doing pick it apart.

HOSTED PHOTO

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,725 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Choderboy. (3 edits in all)

May 11, 2020 00:17 |  #1042

plantastic wrote in post #19052704 (external link)
Thank you for your time and thoughts, Tom. You always put a lot effort into your responses!

As I was explaining to Crossdail, the images I take are primarily for print. When I print this image, it looks cohesive.

I do have other images from this night. I just "happened" to pick this one, knowing that it wasn't my strongest image, for feedback. And, mostly because of the compositional issues you point out. But, I love the colors and intimacy.

Thank you again, Tom!

Fine for me. I lost about 2% of the image when I first viewed.
CTRL + 1 click of mouse wheel so I can see it all:

I won't pretend to be worthwhile as a critic, but I do like it.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dave
Image editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,859 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 9 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

May 17, 2020 00:08 |  #1043

Croasdail wrote in post #19052570 (external link)
My biggest issue with this image in this format is that it spans the screen to the point that on my setup I need to scroll to see the whole image, which disconnects the sunset or sunrise from the Turtle... meaning that first its "hey, a sun"thing".... then scroll down and then its "hey.... a turtle". Printed you would see the whole thing, and made smaller to fit the screen, it would loose some of the subtle details. Not a problem with the image itself, but the size of it makes for loosing some of its impact in this venue.

I also vasilate on whether the sand has been over sharpened.... maybe a little more USM. But its all nits, nice image.

Screens are limiting, most of us using these weird wide aspect ratios. I am lucky to have one monitor set to portrait orientation, and this fills it perfectly like a poster or painting. This second monitor I find is REQUIRED for my line of work, as sometimes 90% of the images from a shoot are in portrait orientation.

That is all I am going to say as I am not here to critique either the photos or those that critique them! Just that if this was printed and on the wall, the bulk of what you say would not even be noticed, let alone mentioned.

Since I see Tom feels similarly, here's a full screen grab from my portrait monitor

HOSTED PHOTO

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Joe ­ Thibodeau
41 posts
Joined Sep 2019
Post edited 8 months ago by Joe Thibodeau.

Jun 02, 2020 17:40 |  #1044

plantastic wrote in post #19052428 (external link)
And, to throw myself out there...

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hoj​dxJ  (external link) Power Nap (external link) by Scott Davidson (external link), on Flickr

Not sure if we are allowed to comment on images presented here or if this is a privilege.

The real prize here is the turtle. And while the sky is attractive it does not compare to the majesty of the turtle. In my world everything is about dilution of impact. If the support for a subject is not adding impact it is taking away impact. I would likely crop out the clouds to the top. Note that by reducing the frame size you are controlling the magnification of the turtle across the frame. Nothing has changed in the original frame but the turtle will appear to take up more frame because it does.

Great subject to shoot. And the light is working for you. Well done.

Joe Thibodeau

JayLT
556 posts
Gallery: 274 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2019

Jul 05, 2020 22:10 |  #1045

I'll toss this one out there as it's one of the more recent macro shots that I like. Being stuck at home now for a while, macro is one of the only things I can do consistently and thankfully there have been a lot of little mantises out and about this year. Focus-stacking is all the rage lately with macro, but I'm still a fan of the shallow depth of field (even at f/16 like this one) that a macro shot provides. Not taking away anything from stacking, I find a lot of those shots to be amazing, just not something I want to do at the moment.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from JayLT's gallery.

Flickr stream: https://flic.kr/ps/se6​hB (external link)
Currently using Canon 90D and 5Ds

sponsored links

173,604 views & 139 likes for this thread
Brutal Friday Critique - are you ready? Well punk are you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.