Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 08 Jun 2020 (Monday) 09:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Specs for a Macbook Pro

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 08, 2020 16:25 |  #16

£3000 is insane! I got my wife an HP Probook 14" for £700 that would work fine, but for £900 (less about £50 cashback) you can have this 15.6" probook (external link) with 16GB RAM, fast processor, 15.6" screen, and a separate GPU that would work great!

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
gossamer88
"something else"
2,256 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 08, 2020 16:49 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #17

But its running W10 ;)

EOS R5 | EOS R | iPhone 12 Pro
RF 100-500mm | RF 800mm F11 | RF 24-240mm | Sigma 150-600mm C
EF 70-200mm II | EF 85mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF 35mm f/2 IS | EF 20mm 2.8

flickr (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,435 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose.

Jun 08, 2020 21:22 |  #18

I'm platform agnostic: had been a PC user for 3D animation and recently have whole Apple environment devices (iPhone, iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro). There's no doubt that the MacBook is way more expensive compared to PC. But what you get is the Mac OS (as I've needed for that intension) and good specs for a portable workstation (multicore i-9 in small form factor). I do think it funny that you can find a cheap PC laptop that has touchscreen, while Apple is adamant that a touchbar is all you need. For software development, I am enjoying the certain ease I'm finding with a Unix environment. But I'm also finding I should stay cross platform. Just recently have been having to scan documents with my older Canon flatbed scanner. The Mac will not recognize it unless I buy 3rd party software, while Windows 10 recognizes it and can easily scan with WIA import.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

FTb
606 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 08, 2020 21:56 |  #19

I'm a long time Mac user who is just now putting my toes back in the PC water with Windows 10. But I've still got a recent IMac and Macbook pro to compare.

I love the Mac operating system. Windows just feels clunky and counterintuitive. But there is a very steep premium for Mac hardware, particularly when you're talking about increasing performance with faster CPU, increased SSD space and memory. That stuff is dirt cheap for PCs and user upgradeable. Not so for current Macs with a few exceptions like memory on IMacs.

I do a lot of digital photography using mostly Capture One, Photoshop and some Lightroom. On my IMac, during some recent testing of hardware to see where the bottle necks are, it seems having the editing program and raw files located on the Mac's internal drive gave the most significant improvement in speed. Mac has a very well implemented and particularly speedy internal SSD system. I think the speed increase accessing working files on internal drives versus even the fastest thunderbolt 3 external connections is almost always in the range of one hundred to several hundred percent.

I first noticed this trying to back up a large Capture One catalog to an external SSD via thunderbolt 3. I thought something was wrong. For an internal backup it would usually take about 30 seconds. The first time I tried it to external SSD it took several minutes. I tried various external drives and connections all with the same or worse results compared to internal backups.

I don't think getting a faster processor or adding more ram is likely to produce speed gains above one hundred to several hundred percent.

So, I'd probably opt for a system that had a minimum of about 16g ram but with as large an internal SSD as possible -- at least a 2tb or 4tb. And I'd keep all my current working files on the internal drive.

I don't do much video editing so this applies mostly to doing stills with the above mentioned programs.

My flickr (external link)
Favorite lenses: Canon 200mm f2, RF50/1.2L, RF85/1.2L II,TS-E 17mm f/4L, RF 24-105, RF 35mm f1.8

davesrose
4,435 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 08, 2020 22:43 |  #20

I’d still downplay needing a large internal SDD with the MacBook Pro. Reason being that for system files, it’s going to be way less than 1TB, you can easily save data via the external thunderbolt 3, and since everything is soldered onto the Mac, you will lose all data if there is a short (when certain Youtube channels do highlight how there are some certain cheap chips on the logic board short and render the SSD dead).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

FTb
606 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 08, 2020 22:54 |  #21

davesrose wrote in post #19075926 (external link)
I’d still downplay needing a large internal SDD with the MacBook Pro. Reason being that for system files, it’s going to be way less than 1TB, you can easily save data via the external thunderbolt 3, and since everything is soldered onto the Mac, you will lose all data if there is a short (when certain Youtube channels do highlight how there are some certain cheap chips on the logic board short and render the SSD dead).

That's what backups are for.

Accessing externally stored raw files substantially increases wait times and imo far exceeds any gains made with faster processors and/or more memory by many orders of magnitude. Even with a relatively slow processor in my basic MacBook Pro with 8g ram and 500gb internal ssd, I have almost instantaneous execution of any editing changes in Capture One or Photoshop. But when using external storage of raw files there is always a bit of a delay accessing new files, saving them and generating previews. That wait time is cut drastically if I transfer those same files to the internal drive.

My flickr (external link)
Favorite lenses: Canon 200mm f2, RF50/1.2L, RF85/1.2L II,TS-E 17mm f/4L, RF 24-105, RF 35mm f1.8

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Hedley.

Jun 09, 2020 05:24 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #22

You're not wrong but whilst I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means it's not a wholly fair comparison. The PC would definitely work but it doesn't list the gen. of the i7- the clock speed is under half that of the Macbook base build, the SSD is half the size, it's a lower res screen and the GPUs are barely comparable - https://gpu.userbenchm​ark.com …ro-5500M/m439531vsm960765 (external link)

I tried to build a Dell XPS to as near as the Macbook spec as I could and it was 'only' £300 less. I'm willing to pay that premium for the support you get at the end of the phone but I'm aware it doesn't add up for some.

For my sins, I also collect watches which is another area where I am frequently convinced to spend over the odds on shiny things...

davesrose
4,435 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 09, 2020 07:21 as a reply to  @ FTb's post |  #23

I find I have plenty of space with 500GB to have all my programs, development projects, current photos I’m editing, current videos I’m compressing, and Bootcamp installed. I’ll offload data files when I’m done with them...but even so, the new external thunderbolt 3 SSDs are quite fast on their own.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 15, 2020 14:55 |  #24

Held off on the purchase as I found a decent SSD and the kit to get the front off the old iMac. Someone is going to give me some extra RAM and assures me you can actually fit to the 2015 model. We’ll see how that turns out

gossamer88
"something else"
2,256 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 15, 2020 15:20 as a reply to  @ Hedley's post |  #25

Man good luck as that procedure is not for the faint of heart.

EOS R5 | EOS R | iPhone 12 Pro
RF 100-500mm | RF 800mm F11 | RF 24-240mm | Sigma 150-600mm C
EF 70-200mm II | EF 85mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF 35mm f/2 IS | EF 20mm 2.8

flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,809 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 15, 2020 16:14 |  #26

gossamer88 wrote in post #19079024 (external link)
Man good luck as that procedure is not for the faint of heart.

Yep, I would be reading the thread at https://forums.macrumo​rs.com …ion-drive-to-ssd.2123013/ (external link) and make sure this “kit” has all the needed parts. In the thread there is mention of a drive mounting bracket, some form of cable, some special tools, etc. Getting the original machine open and finding you need parts isn’t fun!

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 18, 2020 04:05 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #27

Update - this model didn't need the thermal sensor cable so it was a pretty simple swap out for the SSD. RAM can't be touched as I suspected. Strangely only this particular iteration of iMacs came with it soldered on. Anyway, this thing is flying now. Boot up is under 10 seconds (it was minutes), reading from disk is instant in Photoshop and even Lightroom has no lag.

Now, what to spend the saved money on instead.....?

sponsored links

1,527 views & 20 likes for this thread
Specs for a Macbook Pro
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.