Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2019 (Thursday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos

cdmazoff
218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2019

Jun 11, 2020 01:08 |  #1801

Spending time learning some PS techniques while on treatment and isolation and the weather sucks. Older files with SHL applied, curves and levels adjustment layers.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances
like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free" (Anon)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/cdmazoff/ (external link)

sponsored links
taxon
25 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 11, 2020 15:20 as a reply to  @ cdmazoff's post |  #1802

I notice a halo around the outline of the hawk.
The same thing happens to me sometimes, my birds come out the same way after editing, with halo on the background of the sky, and I would like to know how to avoid this.
Any hint, anybody, please?

canonigraph

greenjeans
Goldmember
2,708 posts
Gallery: 285 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by greenjeans.

Jun 11, 2020 21:03 as a reply to  @ taxon's post |  #1803

Over sharpening is the culprit. Looks like a very large crop.

Gripped 6D, gripped 6D2, gripped 70D, 80D and a bag full of lenses.

canongear
304 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 11, 2020 21:26 |  #1804

I'm considering buying the 90D but I've read a lot of conflicting reviews about the auto focusing ability of this camera when using the viewfinder as opposed to live view, when photographing birds in flight.
My understanding is that the auto focus works better with some lenses and not with others when using the viewfinder.

My primary use for this camera would be for bird photography including bird in flight photography.
I would be using the Canon 100-400 ll lens and at times, the Canon 1.4X lll extender.

For any member here that uses this particular combination, are you happy with how the auto focus works with this combination when using the viewfinder?
Especially when doing BIF.

I currently use the Canon 40D so, I have to think that the 90D focusing ability would be better.

cdmazoff
218 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Jun 11, 2020 21:28 as a reply to  @ taxon's post |  #1805

I am trying to use layer masks. There was a moment there when I thought I knew what I was doing but then.. I got lost amonst the layers.... It's apparently quite easy to do if you know how to paint in the mask.. I don't.

cdmazoff
218 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Jun 11, 2020 21:44 as a reply to  @ taxon's post |  #1806

Not a large crop... Halo Gone. Just adjusted SHL.

HOSTED PHOTO

Archibald
You must be quackers!
12,171 posts
Gallery: 551 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jun 12, 2020 15:47 |  #1807

canongear wrote in post #19077148 (external link)
I'm considering buying the 90D but I've read a lot of conflicting reviews about the auto focusing ability of this camera when using the viewfinder as opposed to live view, when photographing birds in flight.
My understanding is that the auto focus works better with some lenses and not with others when using the viewfinder.

My primary use for this camera would be for bird photography including bird in flight photography.
I would be using the Canon 100-400 ll lens and at times, the Canon 1.4X lll extender.

For any member here that uses this particular combination, are you happy with how the auto focus works with this combination when using the viewfinder?
Especially when doing BIF.

I currently use the Canon 40D so, I have to think that the 90D focusing ability would be better.

The 40D was a great camera. I loved mine. But that was a long time ago and the 90D is much better.

I really like my 90D and often use it with the 100-400II and the 1.4III. I find that this combo focuses great on static subjects. Once in a while it misses inexplicably. My 7D2 does that too. Not sure if the 90D is worse or about the same in that regard. I really like the extra reach that the pixel density gives. And I often need extra reach.

My results with BIF using this combo are not too good. They are not great with the 7D2/100-400II/1.4III either. The latter might be better, but are still not that good. The 1.4III slows down the AF plus also makes it harder at times to find the target. The delay in fixing on the bird means less time for the AF to do its work, and that means out-of-focus shots. For BIF I think I should be using the bare lens. But what do you do if you are shooting static subjects and a BIF appears? Then you do your best, and the results for me have not been great.

Others with big whites like the 500mm and 600mm have not found the 90D to be satisfactory. Those users are experienced and knowledgeable. But with the 100-400II, I'm generally happy.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to the Beethoven Channel (external link).

FrankKolwicz
59 posts
Joined Apr 2020

Jun 12, 2020 16:04 as a reply to  @ post 19076785 |  #1808

OK, here's one of the juvenile males

HOSTED PHOTO

cdmazoff
218 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Jun 12, 2020 18:35 as a reply to  @ FrankKolwicz's post |  #1809

Bollock's!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
12,171 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 12, 2020 19:44 |  #1810

FrankKolwicz wrote in post #19077515 (external link)
OK, here's one of the juvenile males
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by FrankKolwicz in
./showthread.php?p=190​77515&i=i225206609
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Wonderful shot!

canongear
304 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 12, 2020 20:40 |  #1811

Archibald wrote in post #19077511 (external link)
The 40D was a great camera. I loved mine. But that was a long time ago and the 90D is much better.

I really like my 90D and often use it with the 100-400II and the 1.4III. I find that this combo focuses great on static subjects. Once in a while it misses inexplicably. My 7D2 does that too. Not sure if the 90D is worse or about the same in that regard. I really like the extra reach that the pixel density gives. And I often need extra reach.

My results with BIF using this combo are not too good. They are not great with the 7D2/100-400II/1.4III either. The latter might be better, but are still not that good. The 1.4III slows down the AF plus also makes it harder at times to find the target. The delay in fixing on the bird means less time for the AF to do its work, and that means out-of-focus shots. For BIF I think I should be using the bare lens. But what do you do if you are shooting static subjects and a BIF appears? Then you do your best, and the results for me have not been great.

Others with big whites like the 500mm and 600mm have not found the 90D to be satisfactory. Those users are experienced and knowledgeable. But with the 100-400II, I'm generally happy.

If I'm understanding your reply correctly, you haven't tried BIF without the extender attached when using the 90D and 100-400ll combo?

I understand that the extender probably isn't best used for BIF and that wouldn't be that big of a deal for me.
I would use it mainly for non BIF situations.

I thought some of the auto focus issues had been resolved after users were made aware of certain in camera settings adjustments that could be applied which weren't generally known about when the camera first came out.

But if the auto focus can't keep up with BIF when using the viewfinder and without the extender attached then, that's unfortunate.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
12,171 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 12, 2020 20:52 |  #1812

canongear wrote in post #19077615 (external link)
If I'm understanding your reply correctly, you haven't tried BIF without the extender attached when using the 90D and 100-400ll combo?

I don't have many examples of 90D with the bare 100-400 II. I'll have to check, but I don't think there will be anything there to give you useful info. Lately I have been using the 1.4III practically all the time with the 100-400II because I need the reach.

cdmazoff
218 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Jun 12, 2020 23:44 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #1813

Me too.. and as you have seen by some of my snaps, it does good!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,385 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 13, 2020 00:15 |  #1814

this is the 90D with a version 1 500mmf4IS...peregrines are pretty fast...did it nail every shot...no, of course not...but i'm glad to get a couple

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49999925238_7c0ff1e8d0_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2jbj​FNw  (external link) p-week24_20_2214c (external link) by andre gregoire (external link), on Flickr

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

graham121
Goldmember
1,811 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 13, 2020 00:47 |  #1815

DreDaze wrote in post #19077659 (external link)
this is the 90D with a version 1 500mmf4IS...peregrines are pretty fast...did it nail every shot...no, of course not...but i'm glad to get a couple
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2jbj​FNw  (external link) p-week24_20_2214c (external link) by andre gregoire (external link), on Flickr

Wondering how it goes with birds coming towards you rather that going across the frame?

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

sponsored links

522,366 views & 6,706 likes for this thread
-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.