Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 15 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Air shows. Post your best shots.

Dubi
412 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Joined Dec 2017
Post edited over 2 years ago by Dubi.

Jun 08, 2020 13:14 as a reply to  @ post 19075688 |  #4141

At most events many of the pilots will do a few low & slow passes for the camera which is great but as you get better at your panning (the first event each season is usually less than perfect) you get better & better results. On the plus side prop blur can still be quite nice at shutter speeds as high as 1/800 but some of the big gassers land at low RPM's which will freeze the prop. My usual SS is 1/500 most of the time for props, 1/200-1/250 for heli's & anywhere between 1/1000 to 1/2000 for the jets.

I appreciate the tip on the shutter speed. I usually shoot 1/250 for real prop planes and didn't realize I needed it faster for the RC's. There will be a "jet rally" at the end of June so I'll have the chance to try again.

Thanks for your FB username; I have setup to follow.

sponsored links
cicopo
Goldmember
3,688 posts
Gallery: 248 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2020 15:49 |  #4142

When I first went to an RC event it was to get some panning practice for a Vintage Can Am race I wanted to attend. I talked my way into getting a bit closer than the spectator area because I had been in the hobby many years earlier. After the first event I learned where to look on line for other local events to attend & by the end of that summer my little albums were getting popular because I had the right gear for the flying part of the events but I had to do my own experimenting on shutter speeds, metering etc because there wasn't any info on line that I could find for RC models. The next season I was asked to shoot a big event 2 hours away & once I did it I realized I could help event organizers through my hobby by giving them a quality album to reward sponsors, entice potential sponsors plus as a reward to those who attended & flew. I concentrated totally on the flying side of each event, letting those with phones & P & S cameras do the static stuff. As time went by I was invited to a few more events & simply just showed up at even more until I was pretty much doing all of them. I made a lot of new friends & eventually started flying RC again too. I have the good fortune of doing that here at home in my next door neighbors field.
Along the way I also had more & more people wanting camera set up advice, lens advice etc as DSLR's got cheaper & more popular & eventually decided it was time to share what I learned by writing my guide to my way of doing it. It's not the only way but I've tried other ideas & keep going back to my original way. The guide is here & it was also published in Model Aviation Canada which is the bi monthly publication distributed by the non profit organization which sanctions all events in Canada.

https://www.rccanada.c​a …m/showthread.ph​p?t=147971 (external link)

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Dubi
412 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jun 08, 2020 18:09 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #4143

Thank you so much for the link; it is full of wonderful information that i will need to practice over and over!

Which zoom lens did you use with your Canon?

cicopo
Goldmember
3,688 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by cicopo.

Jun 08, 2020 18:26 |  #4144

I use a 2 camera / lens combo. Way back it was a 20D which got replaced by a 1D2n & Canon 100-400 L IS plus I bought a used 1Ds2 & Canon 35-350 L for the flight line shots (take offs, landings & low passes. Over time a 1D4 & a 7D2 became the bodies of choice and the lenses most used became the Canon 28-300 L IS and the Sigma 150-600 C. Depending on the event the cameras & lenses may be swapped but in general the 28-300 is on the 1D4. At some events I will also put the old 1D2n on another lens like a 70-200 f2.8 for major background blur.

Edited to add this photo of a friends jet shot with a 300 F 2.8 L IS. It's at full power so likely going about 200 MPH & it's a very fast & loud jet. He's extremely skilled at flying fast jets too.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Dubi
412 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Post edited over 2 years ago by Dubi.

Jun 08, 2020 18:57 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #4145

I also need to read more about the stabilizer mode #2 on my 100-400 lens. I’ve never touched that switch in 2.5 years of ownership.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,629 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 08, 2020 19:00 |  #4146

Dubi wrote in post #19075864 (external link)
I also need to read more about the stabilizer mode #2 on my 100-400 lens. I’ve never touched that switch in 2.5 years of ownership.

There's not much to it. It keeps it from attempting to stabilize horizontal movement. Use it when you'll be panning at slow shutter speeds for prop blur or something similar.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,688 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2020 20:19 |  #4147

This just came up on 1 of the Facebook groups I belong to. It's a video of your Bomberfield event.

https://www.youtube.co​m …Z_iS70D1B3meLBn​OYS4HKToFw (external link)

Dubi
412 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jun 08, 2020 21:38 |  #4148

cicopo wrote in post #19075888 (external link)
This just came up on 1 of the Facebook groups I belong to. It's a video of your Bomberfield event.

https://www.youtube.co​m …Z_iS70D1B3meLBn​OYS4HKToFw (external link)

At 2:06 in the video,I’m in the far right in a pink shirt with the 100-400 lens.

Thanks for the link!

power ­ shot
64 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 08, 2020 23:27 |  #4149

cicopo wrote in post #19075857 (external link)
I use a 2 camera / lens combo. Way back it was a 20D which got replaced by a 1D2n & Canon 100-400 L IS plus I bought a used 1Ds2 & Canon 35-350 L for the flight line shots (take offs, landings & low passes. Over time a 1D4 & a 7D2 became the bodies of choice and the lenses most used became the Canon 28-300 L IS and the Sigma 150-600 C. Depending on the event the cameras & lenses may be swapped but in general the 28-300 is on the 1D4. At some events I will also put the old 1D2n on another lens like a 70-200 f2.8 for major background blur.

Edited to add this photo of a friends jet shot with a 300 F 2.8 L IS. It's at full power so likely going about 200 MPH & it's a very fast & loud jet. He's extremely skilled at flying fast jets too.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cicopo in
./showthread.php?p=190​75857&i=i185859436
forum: Transportation

beautiful plane, looks just like the real thing, must be awesome to watch it fly

Jonzjob
goodie goodie
3,803 posts
Gallery: 213 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Location: Ex Nr Carcassonne S France. Now NW Wiltshire, Blighty

Jun 09, 2020 03:12 |  #4150

cicopo wrote in post #19075857 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cicopo in
./showthread.php?p=190​75857&i=i185859436
forum: Transportation

That is a cracking photo Cicopo. So clear and as said, it could be mistaken for a full size jobbie!

In the very early days of model jet engines we had a bloke come to one of our club meetings to give us a chat on them. He had an engine developed from a car turbo charger and to demonstrate it he connected it all up the fuel , LPG if I remember correctly, and electrics, wound it up with a hairdrier and lit it. The thing was that he was just holding it on a table top with his finger on top to stop it moving!

He just let it idle for a few seconds and stopped it saying that if he wound it up any more the door it was facing towards would need a new coat of paint! Plus, his finger wouldn't be enough to hold the thing. To say that we were amazed was the understatement of the year!

My ambition for a good while is to grow old disgracefully. So far my wife tells me that I am doing really well!
https://johnamandiers.​wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1 (external link)
John.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,688 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by cicopo.

Jun 09, 2020 08:07 |  #4151

The F 4 is very fast & loud when flying and more importantly has a sound unique to itself. It has a howl rather than the typical turbine sound. It's flown by a high ranking RCAF officer & although I've never asked I think he's qualified on F 18's. He's also the Canadian rep for the (RC) Jet Pilots Organization so both him & the jet are well known in Canada & the US. Over the years he's added more & more of those little details that set some scale models apart from others when viewed close up. Here he is with it at our first local all jet event a few years ago. Then later at a big event about 6 hours away.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

cicopo
Goldmember
3,688 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 09, 2020 18:03 |  #4152

Dubi wrote in post #19075907 (external link)
At 2:06 in the video,I’m in the far right in a pink shirt with the 100-400 lens.

Thanks for the link!

I saw you in it. You had better access than regular spectators normally would so I assume you were invited or knew someone. Knowing that I want to point out something for the jet event you plan on attending. I've learned my limitation when it comes to jets & even though I'm allowed to get up close to the runway or flight line (which by itself is dangerous) I found that is too close to keep a fast moving jet in the viewfinder. I tend to shoot take offs up close some of the time but move back (where possible) to about 100-150 feet from the runway area for most of the low passes etc. It makes it easier to keep the jet in the viewfinder as you pan plus allows for a nicer angle changing what would primarily be a belly shot into a nicer side view. Another tip is to have ear protection if you'll be in the pits or close by when a jet gets run up to full throttle before heading out onto the runway.

kd_reno
Goldmember
2,991 posts
Gallery: 516 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 10, 2020 16:03 |  #4153

Kyle Franklin at Truckee last year.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49989964427_c8c5ff7d41_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …427/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
IMG 0607 (external link) by Ken Drozd (external link) on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49989720981_15ce1fa20c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …981/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
IMG 0628 (external link) by Ken Drozd (external link) on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49989721076_fa102ecca8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …076/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
IMG 1383 (external link) by Ken Drozd (external link) on Flickr

Ken
More stuff than I know how to use

graham121
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Gallery: 132 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 12, 2020 04:05 |  #4154

Still one on my favourite F/A-18 'Classic photos, Flt/Lt Adam 'Bung' with A21-35 making like a homesick angel at the Australian International Airshow in 2015.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49987214158_fb10978490_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2jac​xeY  (external link) 1DM44659-Edit (external link) by Graham Mahoney (external link), on Flickr

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,831 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 12, 2020 06:05 |  #4155

The middle photo is my fav!

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)
My flickr albums (external link)

sponsored links

2,147,881 views & 53,334 likes for this thread
Air shows. Post your best shots.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.