Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 29 Jun 2020 (Monday) 17:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Second try

Teton
176 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2019

Jun 29, 2020 17:25 |  #1

I like this one. Should I?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,353 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 30, 2020 06:38 |  #2

It's a meticulous shot. However...

I see no specific subject. It's a mountain range. If I were in this locale, I would spend time scrutinizing the scene and looking for some aspect that captured its essence. Then I would take a picture of that. The most interesting part in this image is where the peaks are more dramatic. If you divided the image into five segments - 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 -- it would be segments 2 and 3, or maybe 3 and 4. See what I mean?

I have a vague sense that it's tilted a tiny bit to the left. But that might be an illusion if the range is angling away from the point of view from right to left.

I might also try to bring out a little detail out of the shadows in the foreground.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,685 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 02, 2020 13:36 |  #3

Two answers - it's all subjective, so yes, if you like it you should like it. But I agree with joedh that trimming it would help. I do a lot of panoramas, I trim off the less interesting edges so you get down to the heart of the photo, or the more interesting part at least. And something that wide is too much to take in. I keep my panoramas usually to 3 photos, and even then I trim them a bit.

Flickr (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,629 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2020 14:04 |  #4

Top and bottom edges trimmed too much, this image is fragmentary incomplete. IMO.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,685 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 03, 2020 14:27 |  #5

kf095 wrote in post #19087104 (external link)
Top and bottom edges trimmed too much, this image is fragmentary incomplete. IMO.

I suspect they aren't trimmed too much, it just appears that way because the image is so wide it appears flattened out a bit. Plenty of sky above those peaks. Take a small sliver out of that panorama and look at it as a single photo and it would be normal sky and foreground.

Flickr (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,482 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 03, 2020 22:01 |  #6

There is nothing in the dark foreground so eliminate it.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,696 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 05, 2020 08:42 |  #7

Unfotunately this is a not a medium that lends itself to images like this. There is no way you can display it here and have it retain any of its integrity. I have a like image of Manhattan made of of 4 rows of 10 images... stitched. On my machine I can pan through it and the detail of the skyline is amazing. Printed 28x50... it is cool to look at. Reduced to fit on screen... it's unimpressive at best.

Long story short... any critique of this is really really hard. Only thing one can really comment on is the image at the macro level. And honestly I really like the balance you've created. The cloud cover is great. The progression from dark, shadows, mid grey, then whites... will proportioned.

Thats about all that I can really judge at this scale. I assume there is detail in the dark regions. I assume there is great detail in the mountains themselves. And I am sure the clouds look great. But I just have to assume ... can't really judge at this scale

Not your fault nor anything that can be adjusted. Its just a fact of having to reduce it so much.

But I like what I can see... and I would keep at it. Seems the work was worthwhile.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

sponsored links

315 views & 7 likes for this thread
Second try
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.