Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jul 2020 (Thursday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,457 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 12, 2020 15:21 |  #46

https://www.fredmirand​a.com/forum/topic/1654​216/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
peteg1
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 12, 2020 15:53 |  #47

Sorry if this has been ask already, can the R5 still use animal eye AF with EF lenses.

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

robamy
Goldmember
3,966 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 12, 2020 17:40 |  #48

peteg1 wrote in post #19092228 (external link)
Sorry if this has been ask already, can the R5 still use animal eye AF with EF lenses.

I do not see why not, it is no different tech then people eye tracking and all my EF lenses work with it on the Eos R

flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/robamyphotos/ (external link)
Instagram #RobAmyNature
YouTubehttps://www.youtube.co​m …/UCXHzc4eU2AfHU​CuGW31GNdA (external link)
Vimeo https://vimeo.com/roba​myvideos (external link)

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,457 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 12, 2020 21:25 |  #49

Not fully tested yet. The R bodies and RF lenses have 3 more pins for high speed transmission, whatever that means. We may never see a real difference between EF and RF lenses. I’m banking on there will be so I’m going for it.

A respected birder at Fred Miranda posted is waiting for Rob to submit his review on EF lenses with the R5 because of the big whites that won’t be out for a while.

Sorry Rob. Don’t mean to put pressure on you.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

nardes
Goldmember
2,857 posts
Gallery: 691 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 7 months ago by nardes.

Jul 12, 2020 22:19 |  #50

I was watching a B&H webcast yesterday, where their Canon Representative (Rudy?) put a strong emphasis on the Canon EOS R5 & 6 capability of the eye tracking AF as part of what he called Canon's "trifecta" approach to AF, where the AF algorithm had been designed to track the eye, head and body.

If the person turns their head (eye away from camera) the AF locks on the head and if the person is e.g. a sports person wearing an ice hockey helmet, or a fashion model wearing a wide brimmed hat, where their eye is obscured by the head gear, then the AF will default to the head to keep tracking and then re-acquire the eye should it become visible again.

Rudy stressed that the eye, head and body AF trifecta tracking capability was new to Canon as of the Digic X processor.

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT: If I remember correctly, the advanced AF eye tracking only operates in the more expanded Zone AF and full AF Zone modes and not the Spot AF mode, so it requires a larger AF area in order for it to track the subject. You also need to be in Servo and not single shot to track.

JayLT
561 posts
Gallery: 274 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2019

Jul 13, 2020 01:01 |  #51

Per Rudy from the B&H Q&A video, yes they will work with EF glass as well as IBIS, but the IBIS just won't work as well as with RF glass

Flickr stream: https://flic.kr/ps/se6​hB (external link)
Currently using Canon 90D and 5Ds

robamy
Goldmember
3,966 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 13, 2020 03:00 |  #52

digital paradise wrote in post #19092370 (external link)
Not fully tested yet. The R bodies and RF lenses have 3 more pins for high speed transmission, whatever that means. We may never see a real difference between EF and RF lenses. I’m banking on there will be so I’m going for it.

A respected birder at Fred Miranda posted is waiting for Rob to submit his review on EF lenses with the R5 because of the big whites that won’t be out for a while.

Sorry Rob. Don’t mean to put pressure on you.

No Pressure. I did preorder so I will be happy to report back if it comes in. Had to say how many orders will be filled in these times. I really do not see an issue with them in respect how they work on the R now. The only real issue is even if they work really well no one will be able to test the AF speed difference seeing they do not have a large lens yet to compare.

flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/robamyphotos/ (external link)
Instagram #RobAmyNature
YouTubehttps://www.youtube.co​m …/UCXHzc4eU2AfHU​CuGW31GNdA (external link)
Vimeo https://vimeo.com/roba​myvideos (external link)

WarriorPoet
94 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 13, 2020 16:04 |  #53

I am considered an "owner" now that I have preordered, or do I need to have it in hand?

https://www.instagram.​com/rickballmann.photo​graphy/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,993 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 13, 2020 16:21 |  #54

Eye af worked on the R with EF (and EFS) so I doubt Canon took a step backward here.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Cormac
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 13, 2020 18:42 |  #55

TeamSpeed wrote in post #19092811 (external link)
Eye af worked on the R with EF (and EFS) so I doubt Canon took a step backward here.

Wouldn't the eye af have more to do with the camera than the lens? Obviously you'd need fast glass to keep up with the focusing. Other than that it would be the af system in the camera?

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,993 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jul 13, 2020 22:45 as a reply to  @ Cormac's post |  #56

Yes but Canon has restricted other things, reserving those for RF lenses, so I assume there is concern from others that eye AF might be another of these things.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Cormac
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 16, 2020 14:12 |  #57

I'll need proper reviews from independent reviewers not being paid by canon. But still an interesting video.

https://youtu.be/tvRlU​4fpvkQ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,993 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 16, 2020 19:00 |  #58

Yes that was one of the first videos shown on the official release date. There is a thread over on FM that has links to about 20+ different videos/review/previous that is quite interesting to go through.
https://www.fredmirand​a.com/forum/topic/1653​904/0 (external link)

WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2020 00:41 |  #59

So when do ewe start the photo thread??? Hanging out to see some photo's!!! Real photos, not the Canon sample ones.

Cormac
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 17, 2020 02:28 |  #60

WA Tiger wrote in post #19094472 (external link)
So when do ewe start the photo thread??? Hanging out to see some photo's!!! Real photos, not the Canon sample ones.

Same here. High iso and action shots specifically

sponsored links

221,647 views & 2,340 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R5 Unite and Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.