Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2020 (Thursday) 11:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your R5 Images Here

Bianchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,789 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 10, 2020 21:35 |  #166

From FM

Engineer from China tears down the R5 to see if he could improve heat management, and finds artificial firmware time limit.

Interesting read.

https://www.eoshd.com …cial-firmware-time-limit/ (external link)

My Gear flickr (external link)

sponsored links
O2ShootTheJ
52 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 10, 2020 21:58 |  #167

Whats FM?

This article makes me think we may see some electronics/PC companies offering thermal upgrade services for our R5s if Canon doesn’t fix it themselves

Bianchi wrote in post #19107049 (external link)
From FM

Engineer from China tears down the R5 to see if he could improve heat management, and finds artificial firmware time limit.

Interesting read.

R5 | Sigma 17-50 OS | 50 1.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS II | Rode VideoMic
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/10514947@N02/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,684 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Archibald.

Aug 10, 2020 22:01 |  #168

From FM

Interesting read.

Yeah, interesting, with this Chinese engineer challenging the design decisions made by Canon experts.

Reminds me of a story I heard long ago (maybe apocryphal) of Rolls Royce adopting GM's design for an automatic transmission. RR's own transmissions were not that successful, so they decided to use GM's (I'm sure under licence). They copied the design exactly except for one part which had a rough finish and was not up to RR's standards. That part was spiffed up to the usual RR requirements. But the RR version of the transmission just did not perform well. After much testing and analysis and consultation, it was found that the "substandard" finish of that part was supposed to have that rough texture. The surface resistance was needed for the right fluid dynamics.

Moral of the story: it is sometimes not immediately apparent to those less qualified why some designs were made the way they were.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,684 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Archibald. (3 edits in all)

Aug 10, 2020 22:24 |  #169

Further to this, IMO it is naive to think that Canon engineers are a bunch of bumbling fools who don't understand heat.

Heating and overheating have been a critical issue in mirrorless cameras for years and would have been a top design issue for Canon.

More than 10 years ago I attended presentations on a technology called CFD. It stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics (external link). Using CFD software, one can model a complex flowing system with heat sources and sinks and predict what all the temperatures will be in different locations for many different scenarios. CFD is used in the chemical process industry, but should be easily adaptable to something like a camera design. CFD is old technology by now. I would be very surprised if Canon does not have the whole R5 design in a CFD-like model where they can visualize exactly what temperature every chip, board and screw will have for any heat duty they choose.

Bianchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,789 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 10, 2020 22:52 |  #170

O2ShootTheJ wrote in post #19107055 (external link)
Whats FM?

This article makes me think we may see some electronics/PC companies offering thermal upgrade services for our R5s if Canon doesn’t fix it themselves

FM is a photo forum

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,457 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 10, 2020 22:56 |  #171

O2ShootTheJ wrote in post #19107055 (external link)
Whats FM?

https://www.fredmirand​a.com (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Bianchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,789 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by Bianchi. (5 edits in all)

Aug 10, 2020 23:16 |  #172

From what I read thus far, you can't shoot 4K for more than 4 minutes 120, because it gets just to hot, and thermally shut's down so damage does not occur. Also CFX card get real hot, which will shorten life of a fairly expensive card over time. They also say if your using 4k 30 or 60, its best to record to an external, to prevent that from happening. However you can't do that with 4K 120

Many are fuming buying into all the marketing hype by Canon. ,

Ironically, from what I read Canon is coming out with a new video camera.

For still photography RobAmy has demonstrated it performs great, but if your doing serious video work, it may not be a good choice at this time till Canon addresses the issue.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,921 posts
Gallery: 1735 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 10, 2020 23:33 |  #173

Bianchi wrote in post #19107078 (external link)
From I read thus far, you can't shoot 4K for more that 4 minuter 120, because it gets just to hot, and thermally shut's down so damage does not occur. Also CFS card get real hot, which will shorten life of a fairly expensive card over time. They also say if your using 4k 30 or 50, its best to record to an external, to prevent that from happening. However you can't do that with 4K 120
buying into all the marketing hype by Canon. ,

Ironically, I read Canon is coming out with a new video camera.

I must be the only person interested in this as a stills camera.

Who is shooting long-stretches of 4k 120fps? I'm a video noob, but it's my impression that 120fps is pretty much used for slow-motion stuff, oftentimes B-roll footage. How many people want to jam up their harddrives (NAS) at home with hours of 120fps clips? Shouldn't something like that be more planned out?

But like I said, I'm a video noob. Only time I've ever used 120 was for less than 30 seconds and that gives me 2.5 minutes worth of footage at 24fps playback. 2.5 minutes is a LOOOOOONGGGG time to watch something slow. Usually crop that down to less than a few seconds anyway or else your audience falls asleep. But I must be missing something because it appears to be a huge deal to so many people.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Bianchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,789 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 10, 2020 23:43 |  #174

jwcdds wrote in post #19107084 (external link)

Who is shooting long-stretches of 4k 120fps? I'm a video noob, but it's my impression that 120fps is pretty much used for slow-motion stuff, oftentimes B-roll footage. How many people want to jam up their harddrives (NAS) at home with hours of 120fps clips? Shouldn't something like that be more planned out?

But like I said, I'm a video noob. Only time I've ever used 120 was for less than 30 seconds and that gives me 2.5 minutes worth of footage at 24fps playback. 2.5 minutes is a LOOOOOONGGGG time to watch something slow. Usually crop that down to less than a few seconds anyway or else your audience falls asleep. But I must be missing something because it appears to be a huge deal to so many people.

Apparently many are shooting that way, with so many complaints.

I am with you, being interested in stills

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,684 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 10, 2020 23:48 |  #175

I practically never do a video and when I do, it's using my phone. ;-)a

For a lot of artistic video work, I'm thinking you would need lighting and a crew and some kind of a script, and that is just way beyond my capabilities and interests.

But I gather that there are event photographers who are tasked with doing high quality videos of their events. These folks have particular requirements! Maybe they were hoping they could use the R5 to do 1 hour videos of ceremonies or interviews. I don't think the R5 was intended for that kind of work.... but it is up to the practitioners to determine what the right tools are for their work.

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,001 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 11, 2020 00:33 |  #176

Nope. My use of this camera will be 95% photo. I am getting the R5 to get rid of my Panasonic gear which I only bought for the video back when Canon did not have decent video in the 5D series. So I will sell my 5D3 and GH4+GH5+Panasonic lenses. Then I have 1DX and R5. When I have had the R5 for a few weeks or months I might even sell my 1DX and get an R6.

Sure I will test out 8K (I am not even sure my pc will handle that) and definately 4K120 slowmotion. But my main use will be photos.

One thing I think people forget when recording 8K for hours is how much space is required. 13 minutes 8K is about 128 GB.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

jeffreybehr
501 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 11, 2020 00:35 |  #177

tommykjensen wrote in post #19107098 (external link)
Nope. My use of this camera will be 95% photo. I am getting the R5 to get rid of my Panasonic gear which I only bought for the video back when Canon did not have decent video in the 5D series. So I will sell my 5D3 and GH4+GH5+Panasonic lenses. Then I have 1DX and R5. When I have had the R5 for a few weeks or months I might even sell my 1DX and get an R6.

Sure I will test out 8K (I am not even sure my pc will handle that) and definately 4K120 slowmotion. But my main use will be photos.

One thing I think people forget when recording 8K for hours is how much space is required. 13 minutes 8K is about 128 GB.

And mine 99.9% stills.

Canon R5 plus all RF-mount lenses: Canon 24-105/4, 35/1.8 STM, and 100-500/L/4.5-7.1, plus Laowa Venus 15/2 Zero-D.. Gitzo GT-3533S Systematic tripod with leveler and Rogeti geared head.

WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2020 00:44 |  #178

Isn't this the photo thread ???? Plenty of other threads to discuss the camera.... :p

Some great shots on here so far, love the bird photos, please keep them coming.. :-)

WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2020 00:45 |  #179

Second photo is the best for me to date, great job robamy, thanks for sharing.

goalerjones
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined May 2018

Aug 11, 2020 02:21 |  #180

From FM

Interesting read.

One also cannot overlook the possibility that this is a Chinese propaganda hit-piece designed to give Japan trouble by attacking a name brand item. I would rather have a tear-down review done by Lens rentals on this issue before I consider it absolute fact.

sponsored links

252,135 views & 21,528 likes for this thread
Post your R5 Images Here
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.