Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

wxjef
232 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited over 1 year ago by wxjef.

Aug 13, 2020 20:54 |  #8011

Shoved the sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 onto the R and went outside for some snapshots. @35mm

Unfortunately my Linux box decided to not want to edit the files, open, work properly and so I pulled them to my phone. Sigh, about ready to give up trying to use Linux for workflow :(

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

wxjef
232 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited over 1 year ago by wxjef. (2 edits in all)

Aug 13, 2020 20:56 |  #8012

And a little hopper :-)

I got to say, so far the lens seems to work pretty good for some close ups on the R. Quality on these images is probably meh since I used my phone to edit them.

Guess this lens is not in the database -?
18-35 f/1.8 sigma @35mm. Yup, the one for apsc sensors.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 14, 2020 01:02 |  #8013

Don't do birds too often, but if they are just sitting there -

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 14, 2020 07:40 |  #8014

wxjef wrote in post #19108666 (external link)
And a little hopper :-)

I got to say, so far the lens seems to work pretty good for some close ups on the R. Quality on these images is probably meh since I used my phone to edit them.

Guess this lens is not in the database -?
18-35 f/1.8 sigma @35mm. Yup, the one for apsc sensors.

The Sigma should be in the database. I’ve posted images in different threads as recently as 3 weeks ago where it’s there.

Out of curiosity, how many of you are using the R with EF-S lenses? Other than the (obvious) reduced resolution in crop mode, do you find any other trade-offs, positive or negative?

R6 | 15-85is | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35is L | RF 24-105is L | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 1.4X III | 2X III | 430ex |

wxjef
232 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited over 1 year ago by wxjef.

Aug 14, 2020 11:22 |  #8015

Hmmm I'll look again. I wondered if the forum software detected the full frame camera and just showed full frame lenses.

I just used the lens as a test as I've heard the R will take the apsc lenses in crop mode. I don't think my R went into crop mode, nothing popped up that I noticed when I mounting the lens. Auto focus seemed to work ok, pretty fast.

Edit: found the lens in the database :-)

BTW
Does anyone actually use Linux to edit their photos with this camera? Something broke with adobe dng converter on my system, thought raw therapee actually supported (could actually decode) the images or perhaps darktable but darktable wouldn't open anything. Raw therapee just crashed to desktop and corrupted the image I tried to open. Both are up to date. I know darktable has an update but I couldn't build it, not was it in the repos. Sigh. Really wanted to get away from the corporate junk as much as possible but doing so basically renders my R a paper weight :cry:

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by patrick j.

Aug 14, 2020 14:07 |  #8016

wxjef wrote in post #19108886 (external link)
Hmmm I'll look again. I wondered if the forum software detected the full frame camera and just showed full frame lenses.

I just used the lens as a test as I've heard the R will take the apsc lenses in crop mode. I don't think my R went into crop mode, nothing popped up that I noticed when I mounting the lens. Auto focus seemed to work ok, pretty fast.

I think it must have taken your picture in crop mode. Check the file size to figure it out - that is, how many pixels on each side. I don't remember exactly, but the wide side will be under 5000 pixels. Normal full frame from the R is 6720.

I don't know if this is any use, but you can use DPP to convert to a TIFF file and import that into another program.

Flickr (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
I should keep some things to myself!
3,900 posts
Gallery: 665 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 14, 2020 14:17 |  #8017

BTW
Does anyone actually use Linux to edit their photos with this camera? Something broke with adobe dng converter on my system, thought raw therapee actually supported (could actually decode) the images or perhaps darktable but darktable wouldn't open anything. Raw therapee just crashed to desktop and corrupted the image I tried to open. Both are up to date. I know darktable has an update but I couldn't build it, not was it in the repos. Sigh. Really wanted to get away from the corporate junk as much as possible but doing so basically renders my R a paper weight :cry:

The R didn't use crop mode when using a Tamron APS-C lens but it did vignette as expected. I read somewhere that it forces crop mode for Canon EF-S lenses but not third party lenses. Someone here had a third party APS-C lens that didn't vignette, or not much, on the R but there are probably very few like that.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

digital ­ paradise
"It takes a bit of work to get it in."
18,322 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise.

Aug 14, 2020 14:37 |  #8018

There is a thread from DPreview about the R5 for shooting stills only for anyone interested in the camera.

I am a wildlife/ stills photographer and agree with previous posts.

No overheating even when shooting in 90+ degree (and sunny) summer temps. Overheating is definitely a video thing and getting too much attention.

Haven’t measured FPS, but does not seem to slow down even around 25% battery using a grip with 2 LP-E6NH. Check charge performance and make sure lens is supported at 12 FPS per the manual.

Battery life was better than rated even when I tried old LP-E6N batteries with one red bar for charge performance.

New AF is amazing.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

wxjef
232 posts
Joined Apr 2019

Aug 14, 2020 15:12 as a reply to  @ patrick j's post |  #8019

Yup, sure did... Oh well.

Just pulled the frame up on the camera and pressed info on one of the pics and sure enough 1.6 12.48mb raw.

Didn't see any indication it switched to crop mode when I powered it up. Thought I circumvented something lol :oops:

RodS57
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 14, 2020 22:15 |  #8020

BTW

Guessing here but isn't dcraw the program(?) that actually decodes the raw files. If so that is what you need to update, not rawtherapee or darktable. Unless they won't work with a newer version of dcraw

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

wxjef
232 posts
Joined Apr 2019

Aug 14, 2020 23:00 as a reply to  @ RodS57's post |  #8021

It could be, perhaps libraw also. I'm really not sure and can't keep track of let alone know all I need to know with this OS unfortunately.

Even tried a kernel update and it borked something else, my steam app freaked out, eventually desktop environment crashed, came back up and froze after I clicked something else, so, at least I could roll back to the previous kernel. But I wonder what else might be busted.

I did go to wine HQ and poked around, evidently a bug in 5.12 and others where having issues with dng converter. Guess 5.13 might fix. Haven't got an update pushed to my Manjaro box yet. Or maybe I need to find it and make it myself and install. Shesh... :cry:

So, weighing my options. :-|

modyo
617 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 15, 2020 15:19 |  #8022

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from modyo's gallery.

CanonR
CanonRF50f1.2L CanonRF85f1.2L CanonRF28-70f2L
Canon16-35f4L Canon24-70f2.8IIL Canon70-200f2.8IIL
SigmaA20f1.4 SigmaA24f1.4 SigmaA28f1.4 SigmaA135f1.8
SPEEDELITE 600EX-RT + ST-E3-RT

lijoec
Goldmember
1,955 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by lijoec.

Aug 15, 2020 17:16 |  #8023

Montauk Point lighthouse

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50161019236_a8207c1bee_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2jqy​krf  (external link) CD0A4421 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

Cheers,
JOE

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by patrick j.

Aug 15, 2020 17:56 |  #8024

I'm not going to say the R is the most wonderful-est camera ever, but I'm very happy with it, if anyone was thinking of buying one.... oh, wait, they all went over to the R5. Never mind.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

WilsonFlyer
Goldmember
1,215 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 15, 2020 18:01 |  #8025

patrick j wrote in post #19109631 (external link)
I'm not going to say the R is the most wonderful-est camera ever, but I'm very happy with it, if anyone was thinking of buying it... oh, wait, they all went over to the R5. Never mind.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by patrick j in
./showthread.php?p=191​09631&i=i267033253
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by patrick j in
./showthread.php?p=191​09631&i=i79364702
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I like my R. It's paid for.

2,561,961 views & 29,604 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.